A better sound card / audio interface - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

A better sound card / audio interface

Hey guys!

I'm using a POD X3 live for recording my guitar and it acts on its own as a decent enough audio interface! I mostly jam along with the POD and use my laptop's headphone's output into the POD's CD/MP3 input to have my backing track playing along and the whole mix comes out from my cans plugged into the POD.

However the POD also provides a soundcard driver via USB, with In and Out functions.

I just found out that the backing track sounds noticeably worse than if I stream it to the POD via the USB "soundcard" it provides to my laptop. But the POD has a known fault with the USB soundcard drivers so I cannot use this.... (cuts off more often than not)

I wonder what would be a decent and not too expensive soundcard / audio interface that I could get to replace my laptop's soundcard standard headphone's out ? And maybe thinking ahead for future usage too

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 AM

Re: A better sound card / audio interface

I've had the M-Audio Firewire Solo for over a year and haven't found a reason to switch. Unless I need more than 2 simultaneous tracks, I won't need another - it works well, was easy to set up and plugs right into REAPER with no issues.

There's a less expensive M-Audio Fast Track that you may want to check out too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM

it depends on how much you want spending, and how many inputs and outputs you be needing.

the PreSonus Audio Box USB cost around 150 USD an seems very nice for a simple but complete audio interface.

Focusrite also have some good offering so does M-Audio
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Isn't the Presonus Audio Box and the M-Audio Fast Track USB 1.1 ? I'm running at the moment a laptop with a 5k rpm and I'm a bit afraid that there can be hiccups even recording just one instrument at a time...

However there's not so many "budget" USB 2.0 audio interfaces... the EMU 0404 from what I read on the net seems to be the best and not too expensive. The M-Audio Fast Track Ultra is USB 2.0 but I don't think I need so many mic ins as it offers. And there's other cheap USB 2.0 offers from Tascam but the word out on the net is that there's huge problems with the drivers...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM

For the number of ins and outs that the PreSonus Audio Box USB have the usb 1.1 spec is enough, but your slow Hard Disk could be a problem (and one that USB 2.0 will not solve at all).

So for any serious work with your laptop you getting a 7200 RPM storage drive is highly recommended.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM

The Lexicon desktop USB cards are pretty cool and work well, not just saing that because i work for Lexicon :-) check out the I-ONIX U22. Looks neat too...

Tags
audio interface , sound card

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode