Bias FX - Anyone use it? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Bias FX - Anyone use it?

OK so I'm struggling with getting decent recorded sound with my little amp and mics and I see that they have Bias FX 2 standard on sale for $59 right now. Very tempted to try going amp-less in my little spare bedroom "studio", mainly since I just bought my first decent set of beefy 8" studio monitors. Anyone use the Bias FX 2? Seems like a decent setup for trying recording with Reaper using Bias FX 2 as a VST plug-in.

Any thoughts? Is it decent? Watched reviews, but I sometimes don't trust them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
I highly recommend fx2.The free download gives good sample and just cuts out every few minutes. Give a try. I use it with apogee jam+ with surface pro. Love the plexi69 and orange ac30 for example. Good luck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Re: Bias FX - Anyone use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
I highly recommend fx2.The free download gives good sample and just cuts out every few minutes. Give a try. I use it with apogee jam+ with surface pro. Love the plexi69 and orange ac30 for example. Good luck.

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll give it a try. I have tried a few other free VST plug-in amps with mixed luck, but the demos I watched for this seemed very positive.

Part of this change in modus operandi was picking up some decent monitors with bigger drivers. I found a deal I could not pass up, so I ordered two M-Audio BX8 D3 monitors. When I got them and changed the entire room layout to accommodate the big monitors, one driver did not work. So I called support and they sent a pre-paid label to return it, with the next step being they send me a replacement. Instead of a email for the shipping of the replacement monitor, I got an "Order Cancelled" notification... Apparently they discontinued that particular monitor! So here I am, stuck with one 8" monitor and can't afford the same type at regular price... Ugh!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:49 PM

Reviews: 120

I reviewed BIAS AMP and FX a while back, they're briliant pieces of kit
FireEagle likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I reviewed BIAS AMP and FX a while back, they're briliant pieces of kit

Thanks for the feedback, LP. My new monitors are supposed to arrive today. Looking forward to trying out Bias FX when I get them set up.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks for the feedback, LP. My new monitors are supposed to arrive today. Looking forward to trying out Bias FX when I get them set up.
I'm with them, Bias FX2 is actually all I use now. It sounds fantastic, is easy to use and even includes a looper that I use all the time. With all of the sales throughout the last couple of years, I have upgraded to Elite. There really isn't any tone I do not have at my fingertips, especially if you are willing to tweak. Even if you do not, the Pedalboards people post often have some great tones to them. They are all not winners but most of my tones have been based off of someone's uploaded pedalboard.

I have the Bias Amp Elite too but I always come back to FX2.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
I'm with them, Bias FX2 is actually all I use now. It sounds fantastic, is easy to use and even includes a looper that I use all the time. With all of the sales throughout the last couple of years, I have upgraded to Elite. There really isn't any tone I do not have at my fingertips, especially if you are willing to tweak. Even if you do not, the Pedalboards people post often have some great tones to them. They are all not winners but most of my tones have been based off of someone's uploaded pedalboard.

I have the Bias Amp Elite too but I always come back to FX2.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff

That's great to hear! I downloaded the demo version over the holiday weekend and had some time to play with it. Sounded really good, so I watched a couple of tutorials on how to use it and made my own versatile setup. The demo version is fairly limited, but it impressed me so much that I went ahead and bought the "standard" version. The sale price was less that you'd pay for one cheaper stomp box. Looking forward to seeing what can be done with it and exploring the Tonecloud, although it may be limited by me buying the "standard" version. If I really like it and use it as much as I think I will, then I may be upgrading in the future. Some of the nicer pedals and rack mount equipment are only available in the Pro or Elite packages. Thanks for the feedback on it!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
My new monitors are supposed to arrive today. Looking forward to trying out Bias FX when I get them set up.
What studio monitors did you end up getting? The customer service aspect of your tale was left unresolved...
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
What studio monitors did you end up getting? The customer service aspect of your tale was left unresolved...

Oh yeah... right. Well they could not supply me with another BX8 monitor, which I only found out after shipping the broken one back. So I am stuck with one big 8" monitor and can return it at my own expense. The sale price was cheap enough that I think I can sell it and help recover some $$. I pleaded my case with the Returns Dept and asked them if they'd work with me on another set of monitors, namely the Kali Audio LP-6. Not as big with a 6.5" driver, but ported for better bass fill and the reviews were great. They gave me a discount on the price and I bought a pair... I must say they sound amazing! Very rich and crisp! Of course, these are my first real decent monitors, but my guitar sounds good through the pc with them. I'm really just getting used to the new setup and need to change my layout a bit, but I am cautiously optimistic and feel a bit inspired... which I really needed. I was/am in a bit of a stagnant "what am I even doing playing guitar" kind of phase. Feel like I hit a wall with my old setup and just needed a bit of change.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...studio-monitor

Thanks for asking! \m/
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Deleted duplicate post... The website was acting glitchy this morning?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah... right. Well they could not supply me with another BX8 monitor, which I only found out after shipping the broken one back. So I am stuck with one big 8" monitor and can return it at my own expense. The sale price was cheap enough that I think I can sell it and help recover some $$. I pleaded my case with the Returns Dept and asked them if they'd work with me on another set of monitors, namely the Kali Audio LP-6. Not as big with a 6.5" driver, but ported for better bass fill and the reviews were great. They gave me a discount on the price and I bought a pair... I must say they sound amazing! Very rich and crisp! Of course, these are my first real decent monitors, but my guitar sounds good through the pc with them. I'm really just getting used to the new setup and need to change my layout a bit, but I am cautiously optimistic and feel a bit inspired... which I really needed. I was/am in a bit of a stagnant "what am I even doing playing guitar" kind of phase. Feel like I hit a wall with my old setup and just needed a bit of change.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...studio-monitor

Thanks for asking! \m/
Studio monitors are great! I’m glad you bought a pair that you are happy with.

Were you asked to fill out a customer service survey?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Studio monitors are great! I’m glad you bought a pair that you are happy with.

Were you asked to fill out a customer service survey?

Oh yes... but I am a reasonable guy and actually gave them a decent survey. It wasn't their fault one of the monitors was defective, I have to put that on M-Audio. They were unable to get the replacement product from the manufacturer for whatever reason. I can't handle seeing an irate customer in a store berating a cashier, yelling/screaming, for something that is not their fault, so I didn't want to dog then too much even though I was not happy.

Their customer service was pretty good and it was nice of them to work with me and discount another pair of monitors that were not on sale, Fed-Ex 2 day shipping was free on both pairs. I would use them again just because of their prices. The list price of the BX8 D3 monitors is $499, so most retailers (G.C., M.F., etc.) sell them for $249 each. Zzounds had them at $89 each!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Oh yes... but I am a reasonable guy and actually gave them a decent survey. It wasn't their fault one of the monitors was defective, I have to put that on M-Audio. They were unable to get the replacement product from the manufacturer for whatever reason. I can't handle seeing an irate customer in a store berating a cashier, yelling/screaming, for something that is not their fault, so I didn't want to dog then too much even though I was not happy.

Their customer service was pretty good and it was nice of them to work with me and discount another pair of monitors that were not on sale, Fed-Ex 2 day shipping was free on both pairs. I would use them again just because of their prices. The list price of the BX8 D3 monitors is $499, so most retailers (G.C., M.F., etc.) sell them for $249 each. Zzounds had them at $89 each!
Hmm. Maybe my experience was unusual then. Here is what happened:
I bought a pair of studio monitors directly from the company. After a period of time (within the warranty period), one of the monitors stopped working properly so I needed a replacement monitor. The company sent me a replacement monitor with a prepaid packing slip with instructions to put the broken monitor in the box the replacement monitor arrived in, attach the packing slip, and put it in the mail. I thought this was a really good way of dealing with defective studio monitors. I realize the circumstances were different though.

It is true, yelling at customer service employees does not motivate them to help you more.
What I find weird is that you have 3 studio monitors now. I would have thought they would have offered you the opportunity to send both monitors back, give you credit, and then generously work with you on a different pair of studio monitors rather than leaving you with a 3rd studio monitor that you can not really use as intended. It is "water under the bridge" now and it is no individual's fault, but home recording is how Sweetwater became what they are today.
FireEagle likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:43 AM

I should add that my one good experience returning 1 monitor was appreciated but was not the end, A little while later, after the warranty ran out, problems started to develop that are still difficult to explain, but the general idea is sometimes they work and sometimes 1 works and the other is doing its own creative thing with the electromagnetic spectrum. The way the situation was handled was to blame other companies who’s gear I used. I really appreciated that too. I contacted the other company which offer to rebuild my interface for $150. I agreed and here is why: for $150 I got essentially a new interface (they did try and create the problems but couldn’t so they swapped out all the internal components just to thoroughly clear their name so to speak.) The studio monitor company subsequently went out of business and my monitor problems persisted. I rarely use them now. So, it is not all roses over here.

How is your new setup treating you after some time with fully functional equipment to work with?
FireEagle likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I should add that my one good experience returning 1 monitor was appreciated but was not the end, A little while later, after the warranty ran out, problems started to develop that are still difficult to explain, but the general idea is sometimes they work and sometimes 1 works and the other is doing its own creative thing with the electromagnetic spectrum. The way the situation was handled was to blame other companies who’s gear I used. I really appreciated that too. I contacted the other company which offer to rebuild my interface for $150. I agreed and here is why: for $150 I got essentially a new interface (they did try and create the problems but couldn’t so they swapped out all the internal components just to thoroughly clear their name so to speak.) The studio monitor company subsequently went out of business and my monitor problems persisted. I rarely use them now. So, it is not all roses over here.

How is your new setup treating you after some time with fully functional equipment to work with?

Wow... What a saga! Too bad you couldn't get the monitor issues taken care of when under warranty. So now do you use headphones or some other audio device? Audio amplification has been around for a long time, so in my mind they should have tried and true circuitry that is rock solid for years. I guess studio monitor circuit designs are pushed to the limits of quality and affordability though, not just a run of the mill audio device.

As for my new setup... It is a busy time of the year, much to do outside, helping my daughters, helping out with grandkids, etc. So I have not had much time to really get to know the monitors and Bias FX2. Last night I was working in the garage and listening to some Clutch (Robot Hive album)... Afterwards I powered up my pc and monitors, brought up youtube and started 10001110101, brought up Bias FX, and found a preset with a decent crunchy tone to start with. I messed around for about 2 minutes and had dialed in a good guitar sound that sat right in the mix! With my previous setup (Boss ME-80 and Blackstar amp) I would struggle to get a good sound tailored to fit a song or a sound in my head. Very happy with the Bias FX2 and monitors... so far anyway! As the weather gets hotter I'll be inside more and hopefully have more time to play guitar.

Tags
bias fx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode