Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Bias FX - Anyone use it?

Tags
bias fx
3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Formerly Given To Fly 
#1 ·
OK so I'm struggling with getting decent recorded sound with my little amp and mics and I see that they have Bias FX 2 standard on sale for $59 right now. Very tempted to try going amp-less in my little spare bedroom "studio", mainly since I just bought my first decent set of beefy 8" studio monitors. Anyone use the Bias FX 2? Seems like a decent setup for trying recording with Reaper using Bias FX 2 as a VST plug-in.

Any thoughts? Is it decent? Watched reviews, but I sometimes don't trust them.

#3 ·
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll give it a try. I have tried a few other free VST plug-in amps with mixed luck, but the demos I watched for this seemed very positive.

Part of this change in modus operandi was picking up some decent monitors with bigger drivers. I found a deal I could not pass up, so I ordered two M-Audio BX8 D3 monitors. When I got them and changed the entire room layout to accommodate the big monitors, one driver did not work. So I called support and they sent a pre-paid label to return it, with the next step being they send me a replacement. Instead of a email for the shipping of the replacement monitor, I got an "Order Cancelled" notification... Apparently they discontinued that particular monitor! So here I am, stuck with one 8" monitor and can't afford the same type at regular price... Ugh!

#14 ·
I should add that my one good experience returning 1 monitor was appreciated but was not the end, A little while later, after the warranty ran out, problems started to develop that are still difficult to explain, but the general idea is sometimes they work and sometimes 1 works and the other is doing its own creative thing with the electromagnetic spectrum. The way the situation was handled was to blame other companies who’s gear I used. I really appreciated that too. :plain: I contacted the other company which offer to rebuild my interface for $150. I agreed and here is why: for $150 I got essentially a new interface (they did try and create the problems but couldn’t so they swapped out all the internal components just to thoroughly clear their name so to speak.) The studio monitor company subsequently went out of business and my monitor problems persisted. I rarely use them now. So, it is not all roses over here.

How is your new setup treating you after some time with fully functional equipment to work with? ;)

#15 ·
I should add that my one good experience returning 1 monitor was appreciated but was not the end, A little while later, after the warranty ran out, problems started to develop that are still difficult to explain, but the general idea is sometimes they work and sometimes 1 works and the other is doing its own creative thing with the electromagnetic spectrum. The way the situation was handled was to blame other companies who's gear I used. I really appreciated that too. :plain: I contacted the other company which offer to rebuild my interface for $150. I agreed and here is why: for $150 I got essentially a new interface (they did try and create the problems but couldn't so they swapped out all the internal components just to thoroughly clear their name so to speak.) The studio monitor company subsequently went out of business and my monitor problems persisted. I rarely use them now. So, it is not all roses over here.

How is your new setup treating you after some time with fully functional equipment to work with? ;)
Wow... What a saga! Too bad you couldn't get the monitor issues taken care of when under warranty. So now do you use headphones or some other audio device? Audio amplification has been around for a long time, so in my mind they should have tried and true circuitry that is rock solid for years. I guess studio monitor circuit designs are pushed to the limits of quality and affordability though, not just a run of the mill audio device.

As for my new setup... It is a busy time of the year, much to do outside, helping my daughters, helping out with grandkids, etc. So I have not had much time to really get to know the monitors and Bias FX2. Last night I was working in the garage and listening to some Clutch (Robot Hive album)... Afterwards I powered up my pc and monitors, brought up youtube and started 10001110101, brought up Bias FX, and found a preset with a decent crunchy tone to start with. I messed around for about 2 minutes and had dialed in a good guitar sound that sat right in the mix! With my previous setup (Boss ME-80 and Blackstar amp) I would struggle to get a good sound tailored to fit a song or a sound in my head. Very happy with the Bias FX2 and monitors... so far anyway! As the weather gets hotter I'll be inside more and hopefully have more time to play guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.