Blackstar 16VAC adaptor vs 9VAC powered pedalboard - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Blackstar 16VAC adaptor vs 9VAC powered pedalboard

This is for those that know a thing or two about lectricity.

I have this blackstar ht-dual pedal, great pedal! I blew the brick style AC adaptor a few months ago and have been in touch with a local sam ash to get a replacement. Only drawback, I have to drive there in person to order it, then they ship one from England. Ok, no problem, but haven't gotten to do all that yet.

In the meantime, I've been looking for alternatives, and have been needing a powered pedal board anyway. I've been after a decent one for a while, so I landed on an SKB Stage 5. A bunch of DC power supply's, and two 9VAC (for those VAC type pedals).

I'm getting the point, I promise.. The blackstar runs a 16VAC adaptor at 0.8A. The SKB has two separate 9VAC at 1.3A. Is this safe to use that socket for the blackstar? Now, I did plug it in, ready for the pedal either not work at all, or act a little funny. Long story short, the tube lit up, leds work good, it was fine for over an hour of play or longer until I quit playing for the evening.

Now the lectricity part. Does anyone know if this is safe for the pedal?
This is what's listed on the pedal 16VAC .8A
This is what I have found to work fine 9VAC 1.3A

Secondly, I really would like to not have to resort to the brick adaptor from blackstar as they are wall AC plugs and really would like to get away with this set up so that I can just use the transformer in the powered pedal board. I'm just not sure how long it will last before something pops! -this is where you all come in..

thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Blackstar 16VAC adaptor vs 9VAC powered pedalboard

By not giving it the 16V I'm guessing you are essentially starving the pedal of volts. It shouldn't kill anything, but it won't be working at it's full potential.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks. this is what I thought too, but the 2nd number is my concern too, the .8A vs 1.3A. I'm just not sure what if any damage this could happen by running it at a lower voltage. I will also go ask on a blackstar forum, or possibly ask their customer service since it's their pedal, but I know they will try to sell me their power brick.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM

The higher number should only mean that the power supply is rated to provide a current up to 1.3A, while the old one was able to provide a current up to .8A.

You should be safe, and who needs a pedal on a Mark anyway
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM

Reviews: 18

I suggest you get one of these:

http://cioks.com/index.php?option=co...d=40&Itemid=57

AC10
Power Supply
AC10 is a member of CIOKS professional range of dedicated multi-output power supplies for effect pedals. Its two powerful AC sections with 800mA each offer voltages 9, 12 and 16V AC. If you have one or two pedals in your setup, which requires an AC power source, AC10 is the right choice. It powers all vacuum tube pedals from Electro-Harmonix, Kingsley, older Blackstar HT series, the Whammy or JamMan from DigiTech, Tube Rotosphere, Tubeman, Tube Factor or Replex from Hughes & Kettner or EBS Valve Drive just to mention a few. If you only have one AC pedal, you can convert one of the AC sections into a powerful DC section offering 600mA with voltages 9, 12 and 15V DC. The first 4 isolated outlets offering a total of 600mA are ideal for pedals using 9 or 12V DC at lower currents op to 200mA.
Features:

•10 outlets configured in 6 isolated sections
•toroidal transformer with additional magnetic field shielding
•2 powerful AC sections with 800mA each
•9, 12 and 16V AC available
•one AC section convertible into a 600mA DC section
•15V option for Radial Tonebone pedals
•short circuit protection of all outlets
•advanced LED monitoring of each section
•temperature monitoring
•120 or 230V mains voltage operation
•detachable mains power cord
•a total of 16 Flex cables included
•Flex cable for Electro‑Harmonix vacuum tube pedals from included
•one Split Flex and one Stack Flex for 18V pedals also included
•mounting kit for pedal boards included
•durable steel enclosure with 2mm thick top
Please have a look at the document CIOKS 10 - Professional range features for more detailed explanation of some of the above features.

NEW!!!
Mounting of CIOKS AC10 power supply underneath Pedaltrain is a step-by-step do it yourself guide on how to attach the AC10 power supply underneath a Pedaltrain pedal board.

The older document CIOKS 10 - Pedal Train attachment shows how to mount the similar size DC10 power supply on top of a Pedaltrain pedal board.

Specifications:
Outlet 1-2: 9V DC / 100mA each
Outlet 3-4: 9 or 12V DC / 200mA each
Outlet 5-6: 9 and 12 or 15V DC / 600mA*
Outlet 7-8: 9 or 12V AC / 800mA*
Outlet 9-10: 9, 12 or 16V AC / 800mA
* only one of these two sections can be used

Size: 158x98x35mm (excl. detachable rubber feet)
Weight: 1,1kg

Warranty period: 5 years

Order number:
AC10 CIOKS AC10 - Professional power supply for effect pedals with 10 outlets

Flex cables included with CIOKS AC10
3 x 10302 x 10501 x 1050-I2 x 10801 x 20501 x 40501 x 50501 x 5050-I1 x 60501 x 10351 x 10221 x 7050Total of 16 Flex cables.

Jimmy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info on this. sorry for such a delayed response!

I'm going to look into the CIOKS AC10.

Tags
adaptor , blackstar , pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode