Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

i have been looking into the Blackstar HT-5 amp and it looks good. i will be mostly playing at home wich is a house. do you guys think that would work? if so i need suggestion on a cab for it. my slye of playing is satriani tunes and VH along with 80s rock. the great 80s before the grunge movement riuned it for us all.

the other choice was the rebel 30. i watched the demo and it sounded great. will pedals going through this be an issue? my budget for the amps is 1000. thanks.
paul
big_paul_ski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midwest where it's hot
Posts: 216
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

I've played both the Rebel and HT5. Both are great amps. I thought the Rebel sounded awesome with the tube mix in the middle and set to 1 watt. For me, the HT5 edges it out in tone and price. You can put a pedal through either one. I play 70s and 80s rock as well as some modern stuff and the HT5 does it all. Great crunch
indeedido is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
I've played both the Rebel and HT5. Both are great amps. I thought the Rebel sounded awesome with the tube mix in the middle and set to 1 watt. For me, the HT5 edges it out in tone and price. You can put a pedal through either one. I play 70s and 80s rock as well as some modern stuff and the HT5 does it all. Great crunch
what about a great cab and remember i will be playing at home most of the time. 299 i think for the head so that would leave me about 700 to get a good cab but i doubt ill need that much.
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midwest where it's hot
Posts: 216
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

If just at home, the blackstar 1x10 cabs are great. Celestions in them. Or better yet since you have some cheddar, the Haze 1x12 cabs are great ($250 each). The Marshall 1936 cab is awesome 2x12 cab ($600). An awesome cab that also has bang for the buck on top of quality is the Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30s, only $399!
indeedido is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
If just at home, the blackstar 1x10 cabs are great. Celestions in them. Or better yet since you have some cheddar, the Haze 1x12 cabs are great ($250 each). The Marshall 1936 cab is awesome 2x12 cab ($600). An awesome cab that also has bang for the buck on top of quality is the Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30s, only $399!
so the Blackstar HT-5 can run all of these you mentioned and all these cabs are good for at home? im looking into them right now.
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:31 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland OH
Posts: 1,142
Reviews: 59
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Yeah, the Blackstar head will power those cabs just fine. Just make sure you use a speaker cable, not an instrument cable, to connect the head to the cab and that the impedences are matched. Otherwise you can damage your amp. The 2X12's are nice for home but will also give a bit more depth and volume than a 1X12. I believe the head would also let you power 2 1x12 combos in stereo so you could go that route as well.
smooth55 is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
Yeah, the Blackstar head will power those cabs just fine. Just make sure you use a speaker cable, not an instrument cable, to connect the head to the cab and that the impedences are matched. Otherwise you can damage your amp. The 2X12's are nice for home but will also give a bit more depth and volume than a 1X12. I believe the head would also let you power 2 1x12 combos in stereo so you could go that route as well.
ive always had a solid state amp. what do you mean by "impendences are matched?"
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

so when i go to the carvin website i see a Carvin Legacy 2X12 extention cab. so thats what i want to go with the Blackstar HT-5 right?
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

ok guys i think im going to go with the Blackstar HT-5 and the Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30s. how does that sound? any abjections or other ideas?
paul
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,176
Reviews: 120
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Definitely go the HT-5, I just did a review on one in another thread here. I'm getting one for sure.

The HT-5 sounds great at low and high volumes, and that was just through a 1x12" cab. I'll probably get around to making another one for it too.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Definitely go the HT-5, I just did a review on one in another thread here. I'm getting one for sure.

The HT-5 sounds great at low and high volumes, and that was just through a 1x12" cab. I'll probably get around to making another one for it too.
thanks man and im glad you like it. ill be able to get it all for about 700. i was willing to spend 1000 but now that just frees up more cash for the goodies and accesories. um i dont think i spelled that right but you get the point. where is your review?
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Definitely go the HT-5, I just did a review on one in another thread here. I'm getting one for sure.

The HT-5 sounds great at low and high volumes, and that was just through a 1x12" cab. I'll probably get around to making another one for it too.
i found you review. i actually read it this morning. im glad you like it because that give me more confidence in my buy. what are you going to run it through? will you be buying a new cab for it or run it through your other stuff?
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,176
Reviews: 120
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

I'm going to run it through my combo amp's Celestion Super 65 speaker for now, I'll probably replace it with a V30 at some point, and maybe build a second 1 x 12 speaker cab too.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midwest where it's hot
Posts: 216
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

The vintage 30s in the Carvin Legacy 2x12 will rock with that amp!
indeedido is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: Blackstar HT-5 or possible rebel 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I'm going to run it through my combo amp's Celestion Super 65 speaker for now, I'll probably replace it with a V30 at some point, and maybe build a second 1 x 12 speaker cab too.
sounds good! let me know how things go. im sure it will be a blast getting to know your amp!
big_paul_ski is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackstar HT-5 review LonePhantom Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 30 11-04-2011 11:04 AM
Blackstar HT-5 Amp sounds muffled??? Fang Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 9 10-10-2010 03:45 PM
Blackstar Nick83 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 0 05-12-2009 03:33 AM
which amp to get? Blackstar/Orange/BlackHeart/Peavey? mjj2332 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 3 05-11-2009 05:45 PM
Thinking about getting a blackstar ht-5.... cmd130 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 1 03-18-2009 02:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome