Blackstar HT-5 review - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Blackstar HT-5 review

I brought a Blackstar HT-5 head home to demo on my rig. I thought it sounded alright using the matching 10inch speaker cab in the music store, but wanted to see what it would sound like using a 12inch speaker, and my guitars. I was not disappointed.

Review on my blog, check it out, leave comments if you like!
http://lonephantom.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM

Re: Blackstar HT-5 review

That head looks nice on that cab. A perfect fit. I've been reading up on these for a while too and checking out the youtubes. I went in and demoed one at guitar center last weekend and it rocks. Great Marshall crunch tones. I ordered one online as I got 15% off at musician's friend and free shipping/no tax. Backordered 'til 8/8 but I'll wait. I got the head and both cabs. Can't wait to get it. I don't normally like 10s, but it sounded good with these cabs. I've got a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab that I can't wait to try with it.

the iSF seemed reversed to me. Mid crunch to the left and scooped to the right. That is the opposite of the US left/UK right, but whatever, it works!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Reviews: 59

I'm really really interested in these. I have a try before I buy policy that won't let me order online until I've at least heard one live, but it looks really sweet. The only thing that I'm concerned with is the volume issue. I want something that can do the bedroom thing but also come out for very occassional gigs. I'm mostly a bedroom/basement player but I do gig sometimes. I've heard that it'll do dirty at jam volumes but I don't know about he clean with only 5 watts of headroom when there's a drummer present, let alone a gig evironment. What are the thoughts from people who have the amp?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Sounds interesting, worth a look into. Marshall is putting out a new series (Haze) that will include an all tube 15wtt head so you can have a micro Marshall stack that actually has tone (compared to the MG micro stuff that blows in the tone dept).

Thanks for the review.

~Bones
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM

The clean channel on the Blackstar breaks up early, so you could not use it in a live setting clean. I don't think the dirty channel would keep up with a drummer not mic'd.

I bought the Haze stack. Let me say it isn't a mini stack, it is a mid stack. A LOUD 15 watts too. It isn't very crunchy, really more smooth with the 6V6 power section. I didn't like it, it was really muddy even with the bass set on 4. I shouldn't have to put bass on 0 to get a good sound from any amp. That is a design flaw. But there are a lot of people that are loving it, so it is subjective. The haze isn't a bedroom amp either. Way too loud. The dirty channel also leaked into the clean channel with the normal volume set under 4. Gave a ghosted signal behind the clean one, made it sound like a speaker was blown. I sent it back to MF for the Blackstar. I liked the idea of the 12" speakers, but it wasn't what I was looking for in a practice amp. My main rig is a JSX head through a Marshall 2x12.

Here's my Marshall micro next to the Haze.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I liked seeing the size comparison next to the Zakk micro stack as I also have one of those fun "toys"

I've been wanting a tube stack in the micro size for many years, since Peavey put out a catalog showing an all tube 20wtt 2x12 5150 micro stack that never came to be I looked at the Krank versions but have yet to actually plug into one. The Blackstar could be an interesting answer to my quest. Let us know how it performs for you.

~Bones
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

The HT-5 can definitely get quite loud. Pair it with the right sort of speakers (I'm thinking V30s - 2 or more) and it will be great for small live gigs, and miced for bigger ones will be great too.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 PM

i just read you review. nice and thurough. it sound like ill be making the right choice. how do you think it will sound going through the Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30s that i plan on getting? im also a fan of the MXR's M-108 EQ pedal. could that make it even better?
paul
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking of getting V30s for my speaker cab, I think they will be perfect. Loud enough, and have the right EQ curve to fully exploit the HT-5.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 19

Marshall have a new 4 channel micro stack coming out in October...
MG15FXMS Looks good - footswitchable!
I am very excited about this one!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the post on that. I had not heard about it. Check out a link I just found with a pic.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...cro_Stack.aspx
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Reviews: 12

Good review LP. It must have been such a tease only having the amp for a demp period though.
I do agree with indeedio about the ISF dial. Seems reversed to me as well. I personally keep mine at the 3 o' clock position on the "U.S" side of the dial. I feel the low end is tighter when set there. When I turn the dial towards the U.k side I don't necessarily hear a change in the midrange voicing, but more a change in the low end and even a change in compression to me ears. (With less being on the U.K side)
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Stange about the ISF, I found that clockwise was more British, and counter-clockwise moer US, just like the manual states.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Stange about the ISF, I found that clockwise was more British, and counter-clockwise moer US, just like the manual states.
It's strange because with the ISF dial I mainly hear a change in the lowend and compression, not so much in the midrange voicing.
I assume when they say U.K and U.S they are refering to Marshall and Mesa. Most all Mesa's I have played yield a boomy, loose sounding lowend. Which is what I hear on the U.K side of the ISF. While the Marshalls I have played offer a more focused and tight lowend. Which is what I hear on the U.S side of the ISF.

Either way, tone shaping should be done with your ears, not eyes, and the ISF dial is a really cool little feature to find those in between tones and it adds a lot of tonal versatility to these great little amps.

Last edited by Van Noord; 07-26-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 AM

Hi guys!

Noob question... how is the maintenance of an all valve tube ? If you play like 1-2 hours a day how long will it last till the tubes break ?

I saw some youtube clips of this amp and I thought they were pretty good... although I couldn't see the kind of sound and gain produced by an ENGL powerball (but that's a totally different league I guess).

I'm interested in this amp cause I need mobility and I live in a small flat and it seems like the only reasonable choice out of valve amps. I currently don't gig (don't have a band yet) but seems to me after reading other posts that this amp could still keep up with a small concert or jam session (actually I'm now referring to the blackstar HT-5 combo and it's 10' speaker I think it is)

Tags
amp , blackstar , head , ht-5 , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode