Bogner Ecstasy Vs. Boogie Mark IV - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Bogner Ecstasy Vs. Boogie Mark IV

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a new amp. I have played both briefly but was looking for some info (before I play them both again) from someone who has either and/or has used them alot. I looking for versatility and top notch tone. Here's what I want my amp to be able to do:

1) Have a brilliant clean tone (that breaks up nicely if pushed hard)
2) Have a good middle of the road gain channel (plexi-ish)
3) Have a good hard rock tone (ala "Bad Horsie")
4) Have the option of producing a metal tone (ala Petrucci)

The gain should be saturated but with lots of indifivdual note definition and sustain (lets not even talk about the gain channel on the SLO - WOW). I have played Marshall TSL and Rivera Knucklehead. I dont like either. I do like what Ive heard of the Ecstasy and Mark IV. Which do you all think is better suited to my needs? Help a troubled mind! Much thanks.

FYI - If it matters, my other gear includes a EB/MM Petrucci 6-string and DS-1 seeing eye mod

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:45 AM

I'm a Mark IV owner and recently acquired a Rivera TBR-1SL.

The Mark IV is a great amp, but does have its weaknesses. The clean channel is mediocre. I just don't like it. It's spongy, not very warm, and doesn't sound "organic." It can be made to break up slightly, but doing that doesnt sound as good as using a tubescreamer.

The middle of the road gain is pretty good. Nice n wide, lots of crunch. Ala AC DC.

It has some nice, middy, smooth, lead tones that I really like. But it can get muddy at high gain. Petrucci used the Mark IV exclusively (I think) on the G3 tour. The Mark IV is poor at high-distortion rythm guitar. It just turns to mush.

For what you described, a Mark IV might be slightly better because it's more versatile. Just don't get the combo like I did, you miss far too much bass response having an open-back cabinet. The Ecstasy will have a better clean channel, and probably a better lead channel, but it doesn't have the same level of flexability.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Kremlin,

Can the Ecstasy get heavy? Possibly Tool or Dream Theater gain? I did notice when playing the Mark IV briefly that its lead tone for soloing was outstanding, but that its heavy rhythm tone didnt have the individual note definition in chords that I'd really like to have.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure Petrucci was using Mark IIC+ heads on the G3 tour.

Thanks for the info so far!

Matt
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 12:13 PM

JP WAS using Mark IIC+ heads on the last couple of tours

I've also got a couple of Rivera TBRs and a Mark IV. The Mark IV is a KILLER amp, but I honestly haven't been playing mine much lately. Since I put my Rivera rack together, I've kind forgotten all about the Mark IV. In fact, I'll listing mine for sale simply because I don't want it to go to waste. But...out of all of the Boogies I've had, the Mark IV has been by far the best in terms of overall tone and versatility. If I weren't into the rack thing at the moment, I'd definitely hang onto it just because it can cover so much ground.

I've played a couple of Ecstasy heads, and loved them. Not as versatile as the Mark IV, but they have great tone! There's definitely a potential for heaviness with the Bogners-they can get a great heavy-gain tone that is just thunderous.

Both are great amps, but they're very different from one another.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:47 PM

Sounds like you need an Egnater TOL100 or IE4, man. Or if you gravitate towards Mesa tones, make sure you give Rocktron Vendetta a good listen.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:50 PM
rgr

I'm going to go against the grain here and go for the Ecstacy, I owned a Mark IV for a while and have played through an old Ecstacy. I really didn't like the high gain channel on the Mark IV (I know, stones will be flying my way soon), it didn't have enough harmonic content for my taste, pinch harmonics were harder to get and it just didn't appeal to me. I had a Soldano HR50+ that I liked much better. I guess I'm just not an "old" Mesa guy. The Ecstacy may not be as versatile (I have trouble imagining how it couldn't be) but I like the tones from it much better, the down side is that you can pick up Mark IVs for under $1K now but an Ecstacy will still set you back around $2K used.

I have a H&K Tube 100 and a Mesa Single Rectifier that I like (I like the high gain channel on it better than the Mark IV) I haven't played it much, I'm waiting on new tubes for it but that's another story. The Tube 100 is nice, more Marshally but it could use a touch more gain on the high gain side, the clean channel modes are pretty nice on it.

Gotta run,
Roger
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Where can I play through Egnator stuff?

Matt
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 03:00 PM
rgr

Not sure if there is such thing as "new" Egnater stuff. He has designed the modular preamps and power amps for Randall, it's supposed to be really cool. The Rocktron Vendetta came from his designs too, supposed to be a nice amp, I haven't seen or heard one in person though, might be just what you're looking for.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWSEthan
Where can I play through Egnator stuff?
Matt
I don't know, really. TOL100/IE4 aren't produced anymore. I bought a TOL100 head based on rave reviews (I was planning to sell it in case don't like it) and ended up parting with my beloved Triaxis because I can't keep both. TOL100 is the amp that covers a lot of ground. It can't sound like Mesa Mark, but those groovy Biaxident riffs come out out of it pretty good anyway. I don't think I'll be buying any other amp anytime soon. This one does Fender thing, overdriven Fender thing, modded Marshall thing and creamy overdriven modded Marshall thing very good. I wish there was a Mesa Mark-ish channel on it, though.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Not sure if there is such thing as "new" Egnater stuff. He has designed the modular preamps and power amps for Randall, it's supposed to be really cool. The Rocktron Vendetta came from his designs too, supposed to be a nice amp, I haven't seen or heard one in person though, might be just what you're looking for.
He still makes his own stuff. See www.egnater.com. It's cheap when you compare it to Bogner.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Banned

Get one of the following:
VHT Valvulator GP3(Rack)
Diezel VH4S
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
Original Egnater IE4
CAE preamp(Rack)
Any of these will destroy any Boogie or Bogner for every application from super accurate clean to the heaviest of death metal you could imagine.
I mainly play all rack stuff including the amps I mentioned, but if it's a head The Diezel will kill everything out there. They are the absolute best heads I have ever owned in my life. Next would be the Pittbull Ultralead heads. Then it trickles down from there.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 12:45 AM

Its price also kills. $4.2K for an amp is way too much. I've bought my TOL100 for $700 (plus invested $70 in tubes and re-tolexing). IE4 can be purchased at around $800 (according to Bruce himself, there's no difference at all between "his" IE4 and "Rocktron", so paying twice as much for an "original" IE4 doesn't make any sense). I haven't heard anything good about Valvulator. I also wouldn't say that any of the amps you've mentioned will "destroy" Boogie or Bogner. They all sound good (except for GP3 about which I'm not sure), but I wouldn't say they sound superior to, say, Mark IV, Triaxis or Mark IIC+. Mesa/Boogie amps have their own sound and "punchy" feel which to date has not been duplicated by anybody.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 01:01 AM

anyone have a link to hear b. ecstasy samples?
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 02:05 AM

It's right there at Bogner site. Those examples aren't very impressive, though. I liked it much more in person.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 02:28 AM
Banned

Just giving my opinion. I own several Boogies including a Triaxis,Mark3, Mark 4, Triple Recto,Etc..
I sold my Bogner last year. It's a great amp but not what he's looking for.

Tags
bass response , clean tone , death metal , dual recto , egnater tol , eric johnson , fender twin , kettner triamp , mark iic , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa mark , modded marshall , pinch harmonics , power amp , power amps , practice amp , recto cab , rivera tbr , soldano slo , triple rectifier , triple recto , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode