Boost pedal - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Boost pedal

Ok, so i recently bought a Jet city jca2112 combo amp, and now i need a boost pedal for soloing(cause the jca doesnt have enough gain for soloing at bedroom levels). and yeah i'm on a budget, so its pretty much between:
1) Ibanez ts-7
2) Digitech bad monkey
3) Boss sd-1
Well its mostly between the ibanez and the digitech, cause from demo's the boss is like a tube screamer, but a tube screamer is better.
So far my thoughts on the ibanez are that its quite midrangey, good for a boost pedal for solos to be, but my rig is already pretty midrangey( the jet city, an ibanez s-470 with dimarzio evolutions), where the bad monkey is not that mid-orriented, which is good for my rig, but dont know if the pedal is going to do good on soloing.
So i'm pretty much stuck. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Boost pedal

Hi! I cannot tell you exactly which is better, but I will try and compare them for you.

The ibanez ts-7 I believe is a *little* softer, a little thicker midrange.

The digitech Has a little more of a flat midrange.

The Ibanez might not have as much gain as you might need, but the level control may help supplement that.

The Digitech Has a little more gain, this pedal is almost more of a distortion pedal that an overdrive, it has a little harder of a clip. more "hair" so to speak.

The Ibanez Clips smoother, maybe better for boosting mid to high gain tones. whereas the digitech may be more suitable for a mid-gain to clean(er) amplifier.

I suggest you try each of these pedals individually if you find the opportunity!

*the ibanez also features knobs that are recessed and you can lock them into place.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

well, is the jet city a mid gain amp? and what would you take?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 PM

have you checked our MXR? they work well and aren't too expensive.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

yeah, in america and canada they aren't, here in latvia they are about twice as pricey.
And btw, i am also looking for a delay/echo pedal. Firstly, will it sound good, if i put it after the overdrive, and before the amp?(because my amp doesnt have an effects loop) And secondly, Whats the best pedal for under 60-70 bucks?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:51 AM

Reviews: 120

Go with the Bad Monkey, it's similar to the Tube Screamer, but more tone control.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

ok. and what about the delay pedal? and is it even worth looking at a delay pedal, if i have no effects loop?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 AM

Reviews: 2

it wouldn't sound that good in front of the amp with higher gain settings
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Modulation and time based effectts always work better through a loop when gain is being pushed hard. If you don't have an fx loop I'd recommend a distortion pedal instead of an overdrive before a delay or similar into a clean amp, try out boss's DS-1 if possible.

Regards,
Nelson
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 2

dunno if you get them in portugal but checkout the behringer vintage tube overdrive (the green one), i`ve been using one for almost 2 years and it sounds fantastic. if you can live with the name and the plastic case...you will not be disapointed. i paid 20gbp for mine new and it`s never missed a beat in over 200 gigs...just retired it this week to be replaced by Vox ice9...good luck man...;-)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM

If you can, take your amp to a guitar shop and try all the pedals they have. Choose the pedal according to the amp. For example, Fender amps don't like Boss pedals (DS1 for example) because both Fender and Boss (generally) have pretty much scooped midrange. But, if you put Boss in front of Marshall, you'll get completely different picture! TS7 is mostly in mids and it works best with fenderish sounding amps. SD1 is TS-circuit based OD - creamy, midranged, soft sounding.
I have Laney LC30, and the pedal that works best with that amp is TS! Also tried Boss DS1, OD3, MXR distortion+ (this one is the worst drive pedal I ever heard!), Ibanez Jemini (both channels) and few more, but TS is my choice. The trick is to set the volume to the maximum, tone on 12 and then turn it both directions to find the best match with the amp's drive, and gain set on minimum and then slowly increase it to find your sweet spot.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM

I used to have an sd1 and now have the bad monkey. I haven't tried a ts yet but i have read that its mid hump is bigger than the sd1's. What i wanted to say is don't be scared of the flatter mids in the bad monkey. It is a great boost pedal (i sold my sd1). You shouldn't think of the bm is if it has flat or hollow mids - just think it has extended range. That means it sounds fuller than the sd1 that cut bass and pumped mids.

On the other hand i would suggest looking at clean boosters or even treble boosters. I have a xotic ep booster, a rothwell atomic booster and a tad rangeking. In the end i prefer those as solo boosts and the bm as rhythm boost. The difference is that these don't colour your sound - thrley just make it louder and drive the amp harder, which is what you need in a solo. On the other hand the bm (the sd1 even moreso) colours your tone but as i found tightens it - which is why i use it as a rhythm booster

Of course there are also the mxr eq pedals which work great as boosters
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

yeah, well i already bought the bad monkey, and if retubing lowers my mids or something, i'll look into treble boosters/ ts's. and btw now i want to add an effects loop to the jet city. Does anyone have any info on effects loop basics: solid state/ tube, dyi schemes and related stuff?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 AM

So what's the correct way of using a OD/DIST as boost pedal?

As long as gain is 0 it can work as boost right?

How about the tone control? How to get maximum mid through the single tone control? (need to cut through the mix during solo)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:39 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooddrunk_Moon View Post
So what's the correct way of using a OD/DIST as boost pedal?

As long as gain is 0 it can work as boost right?

How about the tone control? How to get maximum mid through the single tone control? (need to cut through the mix during solo)
I'd typically keep the gain at 0 or close to 0 , but really it's up to you. Your ears know how you like things to sound. Tone setup will vary from amp to amp, setting to setting. Put the tone at 12 o clock and work from there.

Tags
bad monkey , boost , ibanez , jet city , tube screamer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode