Boss Looper / Sampler (anybody have one / tried one?) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Boss Looper / Sampler (anybody have one / tried one?)

I'm not a big fan of pedals, but I'm finding more and more a need to do some basic looping here and there and just went to Guitar Center and saw the new Boss Looper / Sampler thing -- I didn't get a chance to play with it, so I was wondering if anybody else has one of these or has played with one and maybe could give me some ideas on how well it works etc.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:48 PM

I had one for a while...really fun to layer tracks on top of the internal click track...good creative tool. A little tricky to learn, but I figured it out w/out manual in a short time. The sampled sounds are not pristine, but certainly useable. Can't remember how much sample time...you might also consider a DL-4.
Greg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:47 AM

I've got the loop station. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to fuss with it yet. The manual seems really poorly written in my opinion but most are. I also have the Line 6 DL-4 which has a loop recording setting as well. The line 6 will only record 15 seconds worth of stuff while the boss loop station will do up to like 10 minutes or more and you can store 10 loops in memory. You can buy footswitches to access the stored loops on the fly as well. It has the potential to be extremely powerful and for what it costs is isn't a bad deal...as long as I can figure out how to access all the features without going nuts in the process.

As a looper though, the line 6 just doesnt have enough memory to be useful, that much is for sure. The boss is really your only other alternative in something that is reasonably compact and not rack mounted and horribly expensive.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 AM

my experience is similiar to gresh's...i've had the loop station for a few weeks now, but haven't had a lot of time to spend with it. i did gig with it (i do a solo noise/ambient project) this past saturday, and it was definitely the key to a sucessful and well received performance. i used it more as a looping sampler, loading up 4-5 samples earlier in the day and then just playing them that evening. it has a cool reverse function that you can click in and out for some great sound warping. my friend has had it for a year or two, and i played around with it quite a bit when he first got it, and the overdub function comes in quite handy. as a guitarist, its not very foot friendly without the additional boss footswitches, you can pretty much just do the record, play, stop, and overdub with you feet as is, but you have to use your hands to switch between phrases and switch on the reverse function. but as i said, these functions are footswitchable with 2 additional footswitches. the main advantage of the loop station over the line 6 delay modeler is the length of samples that you can do. the line 6 is really a delay pedal with one loop setting, whereas the boss is a looping sampler. so the 1 min per phrase of the boss is a huge advantage if you're going to use a lot of looping...look out robert fripp!!!!

Tags
delay pedal , loop station , robert fripp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode