BOSS ME-50 or LINE6 POD XT? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

BOSS ME-50 or LINE6 POD XT?

Thinking of buying one of these (or something similar).

I really like the layout on the ME-50, especially as it's floor based with pedal switches.
I don't doubt that the POD XT is very capable, but I'm not so keen on the "bean" look (looks like a toy to me!) or messing around with loads of menus, but if it's leagues better, then I'll get it.

Any thoughts on how the above compare - features / sound / useabilty etc?

Price is not the main issue, so any suggestions for (slightly) more expensive gear also appreciated.

(I have searched the forum, but haven't found much on the ME-50)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 07:51 AM

Pod XT. I don't own one, but I plan to in the future. I use a Digitech RP2000 when I play in church. It is a capable unit but it isn't very flexable. The Pod XT, in conjunction with the FBV Shortboard, can be set up for 4 patches per bank, plus the ability to turn on and off different effects as if you are using stomp boxes. THAT is a nice feature. I have always wanted to use a little phasing for some of my solos but I don't want to have to jump around to different banks in order to get to that patch. With the XT, I can set up for a Crunch channel, a solos channel, a clean channel and a channel for my piezos (I use a Parker Fly Deluxe). Then I can add or remove certain pre-programmed effects as I wish without having to jump up and down different banks of patches.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I should have included the Boss GT6 in my comparison request, as that's also a possibility for me. (But probably negates my arguement about not wanting to mess around with menus.)

Adding the foot controller certainly makes the Pod XT appear more usable (to me anyway) but also adds significantly to the price.
(Maybe I should get the Pod XT Pro (rackmounted) with the full size foot controller if I'm spending a bit more....)

I guess the only way to find out for myself, would be to try them all out in the flesh (metal/plastic/silicone)....
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 08:34 AM

I had thought about getting a GT6 at one time. They are great units, but I decided not to because it wasn't going to be too much different than the RP2000 as far as control of effects and patches. The Pod XT and the Shortboard are exactly what I am looking for. Each person always has to find a balance of needs/tone/price.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 11:11 AM

I don't own either, but I do have two cents, heh heh. I've actually looked at both units. MF catalog had a nice write-up on the ME-50 a while ago. You might find it on their website. (I could probably get it to you if you can't find it.) Of course, they're trying to sell it not write a genuine review.

The only reason I haven't purchased the ME-50 is I'm currently using a Digitech 2120 and it has all the effects I need. I'm looking for a new preamp, so I may just go with the ME-50 yet. The thing I like about it (the same thing that concerns me about the POD) is ease of use. The ME-50, as I recall, has knobs for each effect instead of menus to scroll through. It's basically set up like a bunch of pedals. For a simpleton like me, that's great.

Hope it helps...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Being a simpleton too, that's what appealed to me about the ME-50 as well.

But if the POD XT is loads better (in terms of tone / options etc) then I'd have to consider that.

Like I said, the GT-6 also looks appealing.

Can anyone tell me what (useful things) the POD TX can do that the GT-6 or ME-50 can't (or vice versa)?

Thanks for your patience folks...

Rich
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 12:49 PM

Try a SEARCH for PODs. There's been a lot of discussion here. You're best bet, as always, is to try them for yourself. You'll most definately get people on both sides of any product--all *usually* have equally valid points. We all have opinions.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

I have searched "POD" etc on this forum, and you're right, there's been loads of discussion (much of which has gone over my head!)

Not much discussion however (that I could find) that indicated the pros and cons between the POD XT and the two Boss units as above.

Anyway, I agree, I've really got to try them out for myself...

Cheers..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:31 PM

I'm curious if you've made a purchase yet. I just found my preamp (Peavey Rock Master) and I'm looking again/still at the Boss ME-50. I'm not really interested in the distortion, just the FX.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:49 PM

The ME-50 is a pretty limited box if it's good flexible effects you're after. It's really meant to be a glorified stomp box. If you're already using a rack, i'd suggest a dedicated effects processor like a TC Electronics G-Major for pure effects.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:00 PM

I'm trying to keep cost down and I need SIMPLE! I have a Digitech 2120 and I can't stand having to scroll through menu after menu and hunting just to change one parameter (spelling?).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 10:17 PM

Well, Digitechs aren't exactly known for their programming elegance. If it's simplicity you're after, the ME-50 might suit your needs.

The cool thing about the G-Major is it's got relay switching built in, so you can use it as the master control for your preamp as well. It's a very cool little unit now that i've read up on it a bit. I might consider it for my next rig.

Tags
parker fly , parker fly deluxe , stomp box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode