Boss Mega Distortion vs. Metal Core - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Boss Mega Distortion vs. Metal Core

I'm looking at the Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion and the ML-2 Metal Core...and am wondering if anyone can give me some comparisons between the two. I prefer a very tight modern metal tone. Right now I'm using a DigiTech Grunge, and have been very happy with it. I found these Boss pedals on eBay for basically the same price, so price is no factor for me. I just want to know which would better suit my tone. I have a 7-band Danelectro EQ as well, so I can shape my tone fairly well too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Re: Boss Mega Distortion vs. Metal Core

I've haven't tried those first hand but in various clips, the Metal Core seemed to have more clarrity and definitely had a more modern sound. I was also comparing the metal core to the hardwire metal distortion pedal and ended up buying the hardwire. It's seriously worth checking out.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 AM

Reviews: 130

ST-2 Power Stack FTW!!!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Reviews: 11

Metal core > mega distortion. the MD is garbage.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 AM

MT-2 Metal Zone is one of the best sounding distortions ever in my opinion. There's a reason it's been around for so long.

It can be found at around the same price as the 2 you were looking at.

EDIT:
The Metal Core does sound damn heavy though. Tough decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYNK6...eature=related

I can't find a video that really shows what the MT-2 sounds like in person.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 06-24-2011 at 12:42 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 AM

Reviews: 25

Iv owned and used the Metal Core and it was great.... you probably wont go wrong with the MC
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the replies everyone!

I bought a used Metal Core on eBay for $50 plus shipping. Considering they cost $90 new, I thought it was a steal. When I first got the pedal I rigged it up with my Danelectro EQ and plugged into my 30-watt Crate....and absolutely hated the sound. I tried dozens of amp, EQ, and pedal setting combinations and nothing worked. I thought I wasted $60.

However, for my band's gigs I started borrowing a 130-watt Fender Ultimate Chorus....and the Metal Core absolutely kills with it (and the EQ of course). Beautiful, full, sustaining distortion. I keep my RG in drop-B and C# standard and the low B5 power chord is clear as a bell. I have an Epiphone SG in drop-D and standard and it sounds great with that as well. Perfect.

Moral of the story? Make sure the pedal sounds good with the amp you plan on using.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Oh, and it is heavy as all get out. It really is the sound I was looking for...I still like my DigiTech Grunge, but I'm very happy I got the ML-2.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth550 View Post
Moral of the story? Make sure the pedal sounds good with the amp you plan on using.
This is as obvious as we need to breath.
If you had to do that to notice it.............. .....well you're not good with obvious things.
Even 2 amps/pedals/rack stuff etc of the same model can sound different, I already recorded the same amp models and they sounded different, sometimes one was brighter and sometimes another was bassy.
That's why asking what you should buy/comparisons etc is dumb cause we all have different ears, tastes and gear.Everything makes a difference, from strings to amp speaker and expecially YOUR ears but I see you didn't know that too
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
This is as obvious as we need to breath.
If you had to do that to notice it.............. .....well you're not good with obvious things.
Even 2 amps/pedals/rack stuff etc of the same model can sound different, I already recorded the same amp models and they sounded different, sometimes one was brighter and sometimes another was bassy.
That's why asking what you should buy/comparisons etc is dumb cause we all have different ears, tastes and gear.Everything makes a difference, from strings to amp speaker and expecially YOUR ears but I see you didn't know that too
6fingers - Can I just ask what the point of your post is? How is this answering or helping the original poster in any way? If you have nothing sensible to contribute to the post, why bother posting at all? And sticking a smiley on the end of your post after insulting the OP is the only 'dumb' thing I've seen on this thread....

To STH550 - my own personal experience with these pedals is that they sound and react completely differently when you crank your amp - always worth trying to audition them at the volume you intend to use them for.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Treva's point is that any new gear needs to be auditioned with the other gear you plan on using it with. One pedal might sound great on the amp in the store, but not on the one you have at home.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Treva's point is that any new gear needs to be auditioned with the other gear you plan on using it with. One pedal might sound great on the amp in the store, but not on the one you have at home.
And Toad's point is that fingers likes to insult people a lot and stick a smiley on the end making it ok.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfish View Post
6fingers - Can I just ask what the point of your post is? How is this answering or helping the original poster in any way? If you have nothing sensible to contribute to the post, why bother posting at all? And sticking a smiley on the end of your post after insulting the OP is the only 'dumb' thing I've seen on this thread.....
Of course you can.Asking to strangers what's good is a nonsense.Again=everybody have their own tastes and ears so no matter what strangers say, you have to try anything you want to buy, if you can't test it strangers would never be able to help you because what sounds good to one maybe is crap to the other.Is that so difficult to understand it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
And Toad's point is that fingers likes to insult people a lot and stick a smiley on the end making it ok.
In what universe telling somebody to try before buying is an insult?
These days everything is an insult.Whatever you say if people disagree ....it's a insult.
That to me it's lack of intelligence.EVEN if somebody was rude to me I'd not care if he was right.
I keep with my insulting point = asking to strangers what you'll like is nonsense.Try before buy no matter what people say.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Yep bro obviously I knew you would understand cause you're an smart guy, in fact you don't need to be smart to understand it cause it's so obvious...well seems like some can't see it.We try to help but they can't see it.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM

6fingers you are the greatest thing that ever happened to this site. I get to LMAO every night(You know its coming but its still fun). Thanks for posting and keep up the good work,keep being you, How bout some new guitar stuff you should be due for somthing soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode