Boss MT-2 Metal Zone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

I got my hands on a Boss MT-2 metal zone recently, for cheap.

My first question is, is this pedal normally quite noisy? Its got quite the heavy distortion but man it seems to produce a lot of background noise...

Are there many MT-2 users here? Do you guys normally run this pedal with some kind of noise filter in your signal path?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Reviews: 34
Re: Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

I used to have an MT-2 a few years ago (about 15 actually ).

I can't remember specifics but I think there was a bit of noise.

Is the noise the same independent of gain settings? Is the noise there in bypass?

I am actually borrowing my own one back fairly soon, so I will have look.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Is the noise the same independent of gain settings?
I believe the noise is dependant (proportional) on gain setting.

Quote:
Is the noise there in bypass?
In bypass means when the pedal is OFF? Then no, the noise is gone when the pedal is off.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 2

I just bought one this spring to use in front of a very old Carvin X-60A combo amp.
The amp itself only produces a medium gain sound, but it is a tube amp , both preamp
and power amp. So, I use the MT2 to get a nice , sustaining lead sound. Yes, it is
noisy at high settings, but at a distortion of around 2 o'clock, which I use, it is still
pretty quiet,at least controllable. I only use this amp for jamming with friends, and on my main amp, a Soldano SLO, I prefer the subtle textures of a Boss SD1 for a tiny bit of lead boost for
solos. But, that amp produces much more gain, obviously. The MT2 will get noisier as you wind up the gain,,,even the manual says so. In fact, after around 3'oclock on the gain setting, it is getting a bit untamed.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Reviews: 120

The stock MT-2 is a little noisy at really high gain sounds. It is extremely easy to make quiet though with a few capacitor changes.

I've modded mine, and it now makes my amp quieter when engaged as a boost than when it's off! It's almost a small noise gate with other pedals turned on with it too. I was really quite surprised by how well it cleaned up the signal.

If you want some info on modding it PM me.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
I only use this amp for jamming with friends, and on my main amp, a Soldano SLO, I prefer the subtle textures of a Boss SD1 for a tiny bit of lead boost for
solos. But, that amp produces much more gain, obviously.
That sounds like a perfect setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
I believe the noise is dependant (proportional) on gain setting.

In bypass means when the pedal is OFF? Then no, the noise is gone when the pedal is off.
Yep, it is normal then.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 AM

Reviews: 4

The sound samples on the Keeley site make this pedal seem awesome.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Go read the review I posted of these noisy paperweights in the review section. Of all the distortion pedals I've owned or demoed over the past 27 years, the Metal Zone is at the top of the crap list.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:30 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Go read the review I posted of these noisy paperweights in the review section. Of all the distortion pedals I've owned or demoed over the past 27 years, the Metal Zone is at the top of the crap list.
They're not that bad, and as an overdrive, or modded pedal they can be quite good.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Metalzone is a phase i think everyone goes through. All my mates have at some point owned one and since sold them on, chucked them under the bed or used them (as Alaskabat said) as a paper weight. If you must buy one, or are convinced by someone who knows nothing about tone to buy one, buy second hand as you won't keep it for long.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Trust me, I have had a lot worse!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium View Post
Metalzone is a phase i think everyone goes through. All my mates have at some point owned one and since sold them on, chucked them under the bed or used them (as Alaskabat said) as a paper weight. If you must buy one, or are convinced by someone who knows nothing about tone to buy one, buy second hand as you won't keep it for long.
I did get mine second hand, for very cheap. I haven't used it much yet in the few days I've had it, but I think overall I do prefer my MIJ DS-1. However, for playing some old-school Metallica and stuff like that, I think the MT-2 is perhaps better suited.

At the moment my only amp is still my Roland Cube 30X.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Trust me, I have had a lot worse!
Yeah, I think I have, too. It's just at the top of my list because of the higher expectations I had for a pedal from Boss.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Most heavy metal pedals have noise. Have a line 6 uber metal & it makes noise too.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Well, I really like it over top of the front end of my little Carvin x60A. But, it is a tube amp, and has some gain of its own going on the lead channel. I just use the MT2 to make it sing a little more. I was wrong, I actually use the distortion at around noon. Anyway, I would never personally use a distortion box for all of my gain,,EVER. I tried it before ,,,and especially driving a solid state amp. But, when used to add some extra hair to a drivin tube amp with built in tube preamp gain, the MT2 sounds pretty sweet. On a side note, when trying to use the MT2 with my SLO for just a tiny lead boost,,,I don't like it. For that amp, a little kick from my SD1 for solos is sweeter by far. So, I guess it is amp dependent. I mean, the MT2 seems to sound better with the Carvin than my SD1,,,but for the Soldano,,,it is opposite. I don't know,,,, it is personal... Some people ask why I'd even need an OD pedal with an SLO.....and it is because I like to dial in the lead channel for a nice heavy rocking rhythm and so I don't max out the amp gain- I like to keep it around 6-7 on the SLO, and then slam it with just a tiny boost from the SD1,,,which is a very warm sweet and transparent sounding pedal- for some leads when I want it to sing like a violin. Of course, the Carvin will never come close to the Soldano with any pedal,,,but it is a nice little combo amp for little jam sessions, etc., and it does sound pretty awesome for that application.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 08-07-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Tags
boss mt-2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode