Boss pedals? HELP!!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Boss pedals? HELP!!!

I work at a local music store and we are planning on getting a line of Boss products. The owner is depending on my advice for what we should carry and what will sell the best for the $. We used to carry MXR stuff and it just collected dust and was sold (mostly to yours truly!), below cost. They were sacrificing the stuff and were glad to get it out of the store and get $ out of it- right place, right time!
Anyway, I get a lot of people asking for digital recording gear and would like to carry (and own for myself as well) the new BR-864. I can always order the BR-1180 if I have a buyer. I would like to get a PW-10, assortment of dist/overdrive pedals, flanger/ phaser, tremelo, delay, tuners, and eq's. I think a couple double pedals like the DD-20 and the OD-20 might be good. They are pushing hard on the GT-6 floor unit and I'm reluctant due to price point but would like to get a couple ME-50 units.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts on which products to carry and thoughts on other Boss stuff (drum machines, Jam Station, ect.).
Any help would be greatly appreciated as owner is really depending on my advice as to stuff that won't sit on the shelves and collect dust but actually generate some $. I am just worried my own personal taste and wants might overpower my decisions as I'm a pedal collector and crave all that is fun and compact!!
Thanks gang!
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 01:31 PM

get quite a few ds1's as they sell really well cos theyre so cheap, but I would get the whole range of pedals but i dont really kno much about recording stuff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:22 PM

I think you have a good idea on pedals...some of the most popular are, DS-1, SD-1, GE-7, current delay, one of the choruses, TU-2, CS-3, and maybe the Metal Zone. You could also get into trading for used & semi-vintage pedals...having those on hand will give your customers some selection.
Greg
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

We do get some used stuff in now and then, but the good stuff goes FAST! I bought an Ibanez Tube Screamer for next to nothing and my buddy got a Budda Wah for like $60 MINT! The pedal I'm worried about carrying the most is the GT-6 as the price frightens most away($400). Maybe I'm just a gear nut, but I think, "for $300 I can get this cool ME-50- but for a hundred bucks more I can get a processor that is twice the power and performance!". I don't know if everyone sees it like that though. I have nice Peavey rack processors (Tube-Fex and Trans-Tube Fex) that have been sitting around the store WAY tooo long and the owner is worried that the GT-6 might do the same.
Has anyone tried the PW-10 wah?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:18 AM

Mt-2 is the biggest selling Boss Pedal ever.... regardless of what u think of it.. it's going to sell.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

You are correct. I think the DS-1 is another big seller and I plan to buy both pedals two at a time to try to always have them on hand.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwan
Mt-2 is the biggest selling Boss Pedal ever.... regardless of what u think of it.. it's going to sell.
I love my Metal Zone......
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 04:34 PM

The thing to remember about the GT-6 is that it's more than just a glorified pedal.

It really is a stage-ready alternative to something like a POD (and maybe even the POD Pro), because of all its modelling capability and built-in MIDI and digital out. I really like it because it's an all-in-one solution that i can use in the studio and on stage.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

I know if I had my choice that I would go with the GT-6 personally for the reasons I stated earlier (just a little more $ than the ME-50 and twice the bang). I'm glad to hear that you have found it a good unit to own and I should look into having one in the store. Thanks.
Todd
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

I tried the MT-2 against a couple other personal pedals (Danelectro Fab, MXR Distortion +), and it sounded very "organic" which is the natural distortion sound I look for in a good box. I used a TS-9 in front of it for a boost and it had a tighter, more defined high end though it was extremely noisey with both pedals on. I also ran a Cry Baby and an MXR Phase 90 in the chain going into an Ampeg JetII (class A 15wtt tube combo- great little amp) and I got a very "Brown Sound" kind of tone that was very pleasing. The MT-2 seems to have a decent variety of tones shapes and a good quality for the $ (I got mine used for $25!!). We'll keep at least a couple of these around the store.

Tags
boss pedal , ibanez tube screamer , local music store , music store , mxr distortion , mxr phase , overdrive pedal , pod pro , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode