Boss (Roland) Katana amplifiers - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Boss (Roland) Katana amplifiers

I'm looking to get a newer more versatile amp and I found a "like new" Boss Katana 100w 1x12 locally for a decent price. Anyone have any experience with these? They get great reviews and have some nice features, just wondering if anyone here owns one or has played through one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Re: Boss (Roland) Katana amplifiers

eh.... they aren't too bad considering the price for what you get

I own the 50 watt version it has slightly fewer features that the 100w

cool stuff... it is basically a boss guitar processor with a power section
very configurable and through the software and a cool 4 button foot switch you can access 8 presets (i think)

if you dig a bit you'll find this as well
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxf.../experimental/

third party software that will let you open up all of the amp models (yes all 30 or more) and a bunch of effects you can't see with the boss software
or if you wanted to stick with the Boss software you can also use these (sneaky's amps he did the work for you)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/in...?topic=20630.0

they sound pretty good

that being said the bad stuff
the boss software is kind of clunky but it gets the job done
i have noticed with my 50w the louder you go the frequency response suffers (probably due to the speaker)
i believe this is the reason the newer 100w artist series has a waza speaker (it is also quite a bit more expensive)

there are my high and low lights
hope it helps
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACS-plus View Post
eh.... they aren't too bad considering the price for what you get

I own the 50 watt version it has slightly fewer features that the 100w

cool stuff... it is basically a boss guitar processor with a power section
very configurable and through the software and a cool 4 button foot switch you can access 8 presets (i think)

if you dig a bit you'll find this as well
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxf.../experimental/

third party software that will let you open up all of the amp models (yes all 30 or more) and a bunch of effects you can't see with the boss software
or if you wanted to stick with the Boss software you can also use these (sneaky's amps he did the work for you)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/in...?topic=20630.0

they sound pretty good

that being said the bad stuff
the boss software is kind of clunky but it gets the job done
i have noticed with my 50w the louder you go the frequency response suffers (probably due to the speaker)
i believe this is the reason the newer 100w artist series has a waza speaker (it is also quite a bit more expensive)

there are my high and low lights
hope it helps

Thanks for the insight... I had no idea you could unlock some other features with 3rd party software. Interesting stuff!

I did not pull the trigger on the amp yet, still thinking about it. I was actually looking at a 50w like yours, but really wanted the fx loop feature and the 100w has it. I have absolutely no need for 100 watts in the little spare bedroom I use, but it has 100, 50, and 1/2 watt settings.

Right now I am using a Boss ME-80 running in to the fx return of a Blackstar HT5R amp... Like using the multi-fx pedal as the front end of the amp. I'll have to see what's out there for the ME-80... maybe a new amp would just be another version of what I already have? Thanks for all the info... I'll definitely look around before buying anything.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks for the insight... I had no idea you could unlock some other features with 3rd party software. Interesting stuff!

I did not pull the trigger on the amp yet, still thinking about it. I was actually looking at a 50w like yours, but really wanted the fx loop feature and the 100w has it. I have absolutely no need for 100 watts in the little spare bedroom I use, but it has 100, 50, and 1/2 watt settings.

Right now I am using a Boss ME-80 running in to the fx return of a Blackstar HT5R amp... Like using the multi-fx pedal as the front end of the amp. I'll have to see what's out there for the ME-80... maybe a new amp would just be another version of what I already have? Thanks for all the info... I'll definitely look around before buying anything.
cool glad i could be of help
since you mentioned it I use a Carvin v3m combo visual sound vs-xo into the front and a tc electronic nova system in the effects loop....and recently purchased a shiftline astronaut 2 (crazy pedal with 11 unique reverbs)
thanks for listening

Last edited by LACS-plus; 05-14-2018 at 07:52 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:

I think a new amp would be just another version of what you already have. From a versatility standpoint, nothing will be more versatile than the Boss ME-80, just different.

What don’t you like about your current setup? People usually don’t shop for new amps when they love the one they have.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACS-plus View Post
cool glad i could be of help
since you mentioned it I use a Carvin v3m combo visual sound vs-xo into the front and a tc electronic nova system in the effects loop....and recently purchased a shiftline astronaut 2 (crazy pedal with 11 unique reverbs)
thanks for listening

Sounds like a nice setup! I always thought a V3M would be a great amp w/lower wattage settings I could use at home.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I think a new amp would be just another version of what you already have. From a versatility standpoint, nothing will be more versatile than the Boss ME-80, just different.

What don’t you like about your current setup? People usually don’t shop for new amps when they love the one they have.

Yeah, I've had that "new amp" bug for a couple of weeks now. I saw the Katana amp for sale locally and after looking up specs and watching some reviews I convinced myself I needed something new... Over the last weekend I started having second thoughts, considering I use the ME-80 and really like it as the front end of the amp. The new amp bug is probably more a result of frustration and feeling stuck in a rut regarding my guitar playing.

I started out a couple years ago by buying the Blackstar to replace all the big old amps I was trying to use for recording... a Carvin x100b, an old Lab Series (dumpster dived), and crappy Rogue 100w, etc... So after using the Blackstar with a few inexpensive/used pedals I accumulated I sprung for the ME-80 to consolidate and get rid of all the noise and mess and hassle of a pile of pedals, some in front of the amp and some in the fx loop. Once I realized how nice it was running it into the fx return that was all I used. I built some presets and downloaded some from the Boss website, but over the last year or so I found myself just using the same few presets over and over. Maybe it was that, or the V30 speaker in the 1x12 enclosure, or maybe the amp, but it just seems like all my guitars have a similar tone (to a degree) and everything I play sounds the same. Probably more to do with the guy holding the guitar and controlling the pedal than anything. Life has been kind of frustrating lately too, with very little time to pick up a guitar for more than 20-30 minutes here and there sporadically... and sometimes my hands are too sore from pulling fence wire or cutting trees to even enjoy playing. I notice that stuff a lot more now that I'm nearing 50. Maybe I'm looking for something to get me inspired, but I think you are right about the amp... Last night I spent some time (typical 30 minutes) and switched off the preset mode and put the ME-80 in manual mode. Starting with everything off and building from there... using it more like a pedal board than a typical processor, just switching amp type or effects on and off manually. It was a welcome change, although I still need to get used to using it that way and not just switching between presets.

Sorry for the long rambling self-analysis... but you backed-up exactly what I was starting to wonder about. Besides, I could use the extra cash I set aside for the amp to get a 7-string guitar instead. Now THAT'S something I really need... lol. My goal is to get back to recording again. I haven't had my pc or interface set up in a long time, pretty much since we stopped doing the monthly Jemsite Guitar Challenge. Seems like forcing myself learn to improvise over backing tracks and to learn how to record in a DAW was really good for me and expanded my playing immensely... but now I'm back in that old rut again. Time to get my sh!t together and have fun playing again... I just need a challenge to force me to get going and make the most of the setup I have already. Thanks dude!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've had that "new amp" bug for a couple of weeks now. I saw the Katana amp for sale locally and after looking up specs and watching some reviews I convinced myself I needed something new... Over the last weekend I started having second thoughts, considering I use the ME-80 and really like it as the front end of the amp. The new amp bug is probably more a result of frustration and feeling stuck in a rut regarding my guitar playing.

I started out a couple years ago by buying the Blackstar to replace all the big old amps I was trying to use for recording... a Carvin x100b, an old Lab Series (dumpster dived), and crappy Rogue 100w, etc... So after using the Blackstar with a few inexpensive/used pedals I accumulated I sprung for the ME-80 to consolidate and get rid of all the noise and mess and hassle of a pile of pedals, some in front of the amp and some in the fx loop. Once I realized how nice it was running it into the fx return that was all I used. I built some presets and downloaded some from the Boss website, but over the last year or so I found myself just using the same few presets over and over. Maybe it was that, or the V30 speaker in the 1x12 enclosure, or maybe the amp, but it just seems like all my guitars have a similar tone (to a degree) and everything I play sounds the same. Probably more to do with the guy holding the guitar and controlling the pedal than anything. Life has been kind of frustrating lately too, with very little time to pick up a guitar for more than 20-30 minutes here and there sporadically... and sometimes my hands are too sore from pulling fence wire or cutting trees to even enjoy playing. I notice that stuff a lot more now that I'm nearing 50. Maybe I'm looking for something to get me inspired, but I think you are right about the amp... Last night I spent some time (typical 30 minutes) and switched off the preset mode and put the ME-80 in manual mode. Starting with everything off and building from there... using it more like a pedal board than a typical processor, just switching amp type or effects on and off manually. It was a welcome change, although I still need to get used to using it that way and not just switching between presets.

Sorry for the long rambling self-analysis... but you backed-up exactly what I was starting to wonder about. Besides, I could use the extra cash I set aside for the amp to get a 7-string guitar instead. Now THAT'S something I really need... lol. My goal is to get back to recording again. I haven't had my pc or interface set up in a long time, pretty much since we stopped doing the monthly Jemsite Guitar Challenge. Seems like forcing myself learn to improvise over backing tracks and to learn how to record in a DAW was really good for me and expanded my playing immensely... but now I'm back in that old rut again. Time to get my sh!t together and have fun playing again... I just need a challenge to force me to get going and make the most of the setup I have already. Thanks dude!
No problem!

It is tough being stuck in a rut or on a plateau. It is possible the Boss Katana could give you the inspiration you need, but there is a good chance it would just bring “buyer’s remorse” with it.
FireEagle likes this.

Tags
katana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode