Brightest Strings Available? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Brightest Strings Available?

Hello-

Im using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (.10-.46) on my JEM7VSBL. I think they are brighter than D'addario XLs and Dean Markleys...but I wish for something even brighter. They don't need to stay bright more than a few days, as I would be changing them for every gig. Any suggestions? Also, is anyone out there an Electric Elixer user? The bass and acoustic strings sound great, but how bout the electrics?

Thanks!!!

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:29 AM

You're in Lowell? What band are you in? Why not just brighten your tone up elsewhere (i.e. maple guitar, treble knob, BBE, at the board, etc..)?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Rich (I assume)-

Thanks for your response! I play in this band called Overture....college/art rock with jazz, funk and hard rock elements. I go to school at the University of Vermont (just taking this semester off to work), so it not going to last much past the summer. I also do a lot of promo for my friend's band Manifest...they do porgressive hardcore. The lead guitarist, my best friend Sean Rohrer, is also at Berklee (I checked out some of your website and got the vibe you are/were a student there) is really amazing...got 4's on his placement assesment (or whatever it's called) as an entering freshman. You deffinetly want to check them out. You live in Lowell?

About the brightness thing...Im really looking for that fundemental brightness that I can only find with fresh strings....that really crisp, razor sharp sort of buzz. Thanks for the tips though! With that said...have any string suggestions?

-Andrew
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 02:18 AM

Andrew (you were correct),

No, I live right by Berklee. I know some kids in Lowell though. There was one band that wanted me to play for them and they had an insane drummer who studies with Mangini but I just couldn't go out to Lowell to practice. I'm so swamped as it is. This is me procrastinating.

I don't think I know Sean. I don't know many people's last names though.

In case you were unaware, ensemble ratings at Berklee are bull****. The way it works is if you play jazz, you get good ratings. If you don't, they depend on who you get for your jury.

At my ratings audition I played the double time solo from Lie by Dream Theater off of Awake. The guys I had hadn't heard of Dream Theater. I go, "they went here."

As far as strings go, I will only play pure nickel strings which are the farthest thing from what you're looking for. The reasoning is that they sound the same the day you put them on as the day you take them off. Also, I used to play 10 hours a day (I rarely play anymore) and since I have irreplaceable guitars, I would prefer to not chew up the frets. Fender pure nickels are also the cheapest strings I've ever seen. It's really a win-win-win for me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 04:51 AM

Stainless steel strings usually sounds brighter than nickel wound strings.
You might want to try out a set of those.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemB
Stainless steel strings usually sounds brighter than nickel wound strings.
You might want to try out a set of those.
Yep. GHS super steels were the brightest I ever used (also the only steel ones, so I assume other steels are similar). They WILL eat frets faster.

I use Elixirs now. They aren't very bright initially; they never really have that "new string sound"; maybe they sound like a string that's already a few days old. But they sound that way for a long time.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!

Sean did a good chunk of 'Dance of Eternity', but he did have Stump assessing him

I was thinking about getting stainless steel strings, but if they are gonna chew up my frets...no thanks! Maybe I will try some GHS nickel strings though

-Andrew
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 03:22 PM

Well, nickel strings won't sound bright at all. They are the most mellow strings you can buy. Of course, my philosophy is to add the brightness elsewhere (if you want it, which you do).

There was a Dream Theater cafe show here a week ago. This kid Dan "The Madman" Miller played all these DT tunes dead on. Dave was there too, he can attest to it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 06:08 PM

DT Cafe show was pure crazyness. Rich's tall friend was beating people up with his hair via his mad head banging skillz.

I'm not even sure I'd call it 'brightness', more like an improvement in articulation, but to me nothing sounds better than the first couple hours on a fresh pack of strings. I like pure nickel as well, but I definitely notice a tone difference after a day or two. Probably cause my hands sweat like crazy.

I think you're on a good track by just replacing them often, but if you want to have even brighter strings, I'd try some Boomers. Maybe just browse around www.juststrings.com and sample a few different kinds.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 07:09 PM

I myself use Elixer and really like them. Though it annoys me why I can't find a low B string from them so I can throw a set on my RG1527
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 08:23 PM

I normally play daddarios but decided to test a set of Elixir the last time I changed. I may be imagining things but I think I have more difficulties hitting the pinch harmonics on Elixir strings.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break Zero
I myself use Elixer and really like them. Though it annoys me why I can't find a low B string from them so I can throw a set on my RG1527
If you like 9's, you could get a set of their heavies and then throw any old brand of .009 on the top.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 05:36 PM

Stop sweating and theyīll hold the brightness better

Tags
dean markley , ernie ball , low strings , pinch harmonics , steel strings , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode