Bugera 1960 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Bugera 1960

ok i have had this amp long enough to make a review on it. i have seen alot of buzz on how much these things are crap but i needed a amp for a jam night at a resturant that was cheap and i could leave there for others to use and not worry about. so i bought this bugera 1960 head and cab. first off i screwed a board with the resturant logo over the bugera badge on the head and cab.

first impressions was oh man it is loud. got a THD hot plate and solved that. channel 1 is very bright. tone knobs could not tame this to my liking at reasonable volume but the louder it got the less bright it got. channel 2 was rich and warm and sounded great. magic happened when i jumped channels. the channel 1 was mixed with channel 2 and created a very full and nice sound. my strat and les paul sounded great with minor tweaks. then out came a old kramer and a ibanez JS1000. both of those sounded great. it did clean, blues, classic rock, 80 metal and sounded great. i was really impressed by this cheap amp. the head was well put together and very solid with decent tolex, impressed. metal grills on top and back, supprised it was not plactic so another plus.

time to turn it loose on the public. i noticed alot of people just looking at it and supprised to see such a monster on stage for public use. player after player plugged into it and found a great sound quickly. everyone of them said how it sounded good and really wanted a marshall. 90 percent of the people thought it was a marshall and sounded great. several players who brought their own amps even gave it a try and were able to find good sounds. not one person said it sounded like a cheap POS and all had fun pushing it hard.

then came in the regular that has a true marshall jmp45. he commented that the head looked the part but was skeptical of the sound. he plugged in and made short work of finding a setting. he played for almost 45 mins in the jam and when he got off stage came to talk to me. his impression was that it is not a real plexi but had a great sound. similar but different. he was impressed by how it did sound. his remark was "close to it but different enough to hear the difference but most of the public would never know. i am truly supprised and though is sounded good." i have never owned a real plexi type amp but have really grown on this one cheap amp. if the real deal sounds even better then i might have to get one and spend the 2800 bucks.

after 6 months of abuse for hours on end at a time it has not hickuped even once. been rock solid so far. the really bright light is the only draw back so far. it has been really good and nobody has ever said it sounded bad. sometimes to bright or too dark and the volume on channel 1 or channel 2 has fixed it.

overall impressions is that i am very impressed. it won't ever replace the real deal but as far as a real tube amp for under 500 bucks i am truly impressed. it does alot of things well and sounds good doing it. i am even thinking of taking it in the studio for a few tracks to see how it does.

i think for someone who wants a good sound and is on a tight budget this amp hits the mark. to me it sounded better than my hot rod deville. and i say that for the drive channel only, as the clean is still great on the deville. No flame needed as it is a love hate with the deville. the drive channel to me is not great. but the bugera seemed to pull it off well

Once again tone is subjective and i think it sounds good and so did many others. always play before you pay. but don't count this little jewel out just because it is cheap. i was very supprised

this is for this model only bugera 1960. no experience with the other models they offer

1. Is it cheap, yes it is
2. does it sound good, yes it does
3. has it been reliable, yes it has but would always have a backup, never trust electronics when it counts lol
4. is the construction sturdy, yes it is
5. cheap components, probably but doing good so far.

Last edited by Cornbread; 10-12-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Re: Bugera 1960

making a quick note as i got a email about this so i will be more clear.

I'm not saying the amp is the best. i am talking about price point vs sound. do i think my fender and marshall sound better. yes and no. yes they do but at the price you pay you expect that. and any fender or marshall in this price point i would say no because they are solid state or very small in relation to 100 watt tube amp. i know there is a class 5 marshall but i have not tried that.

the bugera is a great budget amp most of the people listening and showing up for the drinks wouldn't know the difference of a real 1959 plexi with a real 59 les paul or a nice guitar and this amp. i was just stating that i had a good experience with it and it does sound very good no matter how cheap it was.

even the player that has a real plexi said it sounded good. not really a solid plexi sound but close with its own twist. while he played it sounded even better with a player who knows how to use attack to manipulate the tubes. he also stated that it was not as responsive as a real plexi but it also performed as a tube amp should just not the same as the original.

for me this amp was a real find as it serves its purpose and does it in spades. very glad i got it. and will use it more often for other things besides a jam amp for the public

we are all players and love gear. if you get a chance check one out. don't have to buy but i think it will perform above expectation on sound and being solid for the price. at least it will be a excuse to play guitar and broaden horizons.

yes its a cheap amp and i know this. but sounds really good for what it is.

tone and sound are subjective. one persons gold is someone else scrap

Last edited by Cornbread; 10-13-2011 at 01:23 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM

Reviews: 65

Sorry but from personal experience with these amps:

You can buy a 50 bucks used flat response monitor hook up a Line6 HD300 and have a better sounding Marshall than that amp.
And if your audience does not know the difference a 50 bucks used solid state fender and a 20 bucks used DS-1 will do the trick too.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Sorry but from personal experience with these amps:

You can buy a 50 bucks used flat response monitor hook up a Line6 HD300 and have a better sounding Marshall than that amp.
And if your audience does not know the difference a 50 bucks used solid state fender and a 20 bucks used DS-1 will do the trick too.

what model did you try? the 1960 is the only one i have ever tried. i would be very currious to try others.

is it safe to say that some sound good and others don't because of quality controll. cause i have not seen anything that stands out on the one i got

I agree on the ds1 and fender solid state. once in the mix alot of things can seem different and masked
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 AM

As I have a shop that supplies me with test modells for the reviews I do here, I tried them all. I have not had one that actually sounded good (distorted). Some have OKish cleans, but you can get that kind of cleans from even cheaper solidstates. The distortion was always done with a chainsaw in the background and cabling them with effects it was even worse.

From my personal experience I would prefer ANY modeller, even a 90 bucks Zoom to any of the bugera amps I tried.
I think those amps are marketed for kids that want to say: Hey I gotz da tubez! and do not have the money to buy the real thing. The same kids will also praise them to no end, as they need to justify their investment, which is for their price range still considerable. If they admitted the amp sucks they would admit to have wasted couple hundret... so ignorance is bliss in that case.

I know I will get flamed for saying it out loud, but that is the way objectively this is. I have no hard feelings against anything or see gear as a religion, I even like some of the cheapo pedals they make, but those amps... nope so far. I will keep testing them when new modells arrive, maybe they put out something over time, when they gain more experience building em.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

fair enough. mabey my ears are just horible but i still think the 1960 is not bad at all. one day i will own a high end amp but for what its used for i saw no need. we will have it in the studio and i will make some recordings of it and post up. nothing fancy just some quick clips playing some chords.

i would to have a mesa or a marshall but for the public not gonna happen lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 6

The trick with Bugera amps, in my limited experience is that the cab makes a ton of difference. One day I ran a 6262 into a Mesa 2x12. With the Epiphone Prophecy LP (red, with Dirty Fingers pickups) I was playing, everyone in the shop turned to look, and many came over to "hey, that sounds really good." I can assure you that it wasn't the playing that caused them to say this.

There is a guy on YouTube that has been advocating these amps for a long time, and he uses an Avatar 2x12 cab. I don't think this is a coincidence.

But, that said, to each their own.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Reviews: 3

my 1990 sounds awesome, great for metal
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM

I should have added:
I have the following cabs to test amps:
Custom 2x12 to my specs with Eminence Tonkers
Custom 2x12 to my specs with J's
Marshall Stack (you know what)
Mesa Rec 2x12 and 4x12
Engl 4x12
Hughes and Kettner 4x12 with V30s

I tested them with the follwing guitars:
Jem 7vwh
Les Paul Std
RG 1451 with Custom Pups
RG 1527 with DiMarzio Blazes
Fender Clapton Strat

So you know a little how my testing goes... and I am quite confident in my skills to tune in amps to a good tone...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 1

I bought a used but excellent shape Bugera 333XL as a backup to my EVH 5150III.

I run it through both the EVH cab and a Marshall cab with V30's.
It is a backup so I only run it on occasion but I like the sound of it as well as its features.
It has not given me any problems in the time that I have owned it.

I've never tried the 1960 or 1990 but the 333XL is not a bad deal for the money.

Tags
1960 , bugera , plexi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode