Built me a 2x12 Cab... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Built me a 2x12 Cab...

Hey!

Okay, I've finally came around to building my own cabinet for my Peavey Bandit 112. It was a heck of work especially since I'm not that good at making stuff myself . But a buddy of mine helped me and we did it. I put 2 150 W Eminence Guitar Legend speakers in it. Now, however, I have a slight problem: The speakers, because they are 8 Ohms each which makes them have an impedance of 16 Ohms at the input because we linked them in a row. Now, however the Sheffield speaker which is installed in the amp is louder than the others of course. Is there any possibility to change that, so that I have an impedance of 8 Ohms at the input of my cab? Other than buying 4 ohm speakers? Plus, because the sheffield is pretty harsh sounding imo, would it make sense to put one of the eminence speakers in my amp and the sheffield in the cab? Please help, cause I'm at a loss here...

Fabe

P.S.: Although I must say that with the cab i have lots more low end (which I like...), but I guess our bass-player won't like that hehe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 07:16 AM

You can wire the Eminences to 4 ohms, but I guess that won't help.

The Sheffield probably is an 8-ohm. I'd disconnect it and use the 2x12 cab alone (wired to 16 ohms, so the power amp won't fry).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking of wiring the eminences to 4 Ohms, but my amp can only use 8 Ohms and up, so that's out of the question.
And yeah, sheffield is 8 ohms too. The problem is, once I disconnect the Sheffield the Eminences are okay, but too quiet. I use a POD with my amp and at our last gig where I used only the amp and the POD without the cab i had to crank the POD all the way so I could hear it... I know I could just plug it in the PA but I prefer it direct to my amp . Anyway, I'm afraid, that the amp will be too quiet at the next gig, once I disconnect the sheffield.

Any other ideas?

Fabe
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 07:49 PM

I suggest ditching the Eminences (which quite frankly suck wind) and going with either Celestions or Webers. I've tried Eminences in both open back and closed back cabs and when compared to Celestions they sound dull and indistinct. That's probably why they're only $50.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I don't think I'll be ditching the Eminences because frankly, I like the sound . I bought them because it was supposed to be a fun project and everybody I asked said, that even if you get Celestions you won't get the e.g. Marshall sound because you can't really build the cab the way they build them. So I went with the "cheap" eminences which for the price have quite a good sound. But it's a matter of taste of course. Plus I didn't have the spare change for Celestions

Fabe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe
everybody I asked said, that even if you get Celestions you won't get the e.g. Marshall sound because you can't really build the cab the way they build them.
Yes you can. Take one apart, se how it's made and just copy it. It might take a bit more time and skill, but it's possible. It's not exactly rocket science...

For future excursions in cab woodworking, http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/speaker_cab.html.

Tags
ohm speaker , ohm speakers , peavey bandit , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode