Busting Ernie Ball D strings - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Busting Ernie Ball D strings

A lot.
9-42 supers.
Lately, within the last few months....them bastards have been breaking hell.

I've done it all, filed the blocks, changed the blocks around, swapped the D and low E blocks....I've done it all. Examined all the entire saddle area under lit magnification

When you're playing live and bust a string on a floating trem, you know what a pain in the ass that is, even if you've got a spare guitar (which I do) right there on the stage, it's an incredible pain in the ass.

On a whim, I sub'd a set of D'addario before a gig we had 2 weeks ago and had no problems at all. None. They felt a little stiffer, but they weren't breaking. I can deal with that.

This past Saturday I gave Ernie one more chance....because the EB strings do play better. Put on a brand new set the afternoon before the show. Last song in the 1st set. Busted D. Changed it during the break, by cutting off the broken end, pulling a few turns off the post and re-clamping it. 3rd set 2nd song, busted again.

I've had it with EB. I've used those strings since the 80's and swore absolute loyalty to the brand. The few sets I had left have gone in the trash.

End of rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Re: Busting Ernie Ball D strings

That's odd, cause since I switched to Super Slinkys about 4 years ago, I have yet to break a string, still. Used to play Boomers, and broke strings off and on, but the Supers are, well.........super.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog777 View Post
The few sets I had left have gone in the trash.
You could have given them to me.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM

I feel your pain!
Every EB pack Ive ever gotten, Ive broken a string within a week.
D'Dardiodoodles (or however you spell them ) are much much better. True, a bit stiffer, but thats ok. Much better tone and feel.
smittay!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM

I switched to D'Addarios for the same reason. Ernie Balls keep breaking. They're great strings, I love how they sound and feel, but they don't last. Currently, I've got a set of DR Tite Fits on my Epiphone, and I think they're just about the best strings I've ever used. They sound like D'addarios, but better, and they feel very nice. I think I'm going to switch to these for a while.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 AM

Hmm, I always thought DRs feel really weird.
smitty
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM

Yeah, if you have problems with breaking strings, switch to DR. You could go a full year without breaking a string (maybe). I don't use floating trems, so I use D'addario because I like the way they sound.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM

never broke a string with EB.. i use the hybrids
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM

+1 me too. I had the same problem w/ EB, switched to D'addario, problem solved.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Busting Ernie Ball D strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog777 View Post
A lot.
9-42 supers.
Lately, within the last few months....them bastards have been breaking hell.

I've done it all, filed the blocks, changed the blocks around, swapped the D and low E blocks....I've done it all. Examined all the entire saddle area under lit magnification

When you're playing live and bust a string on a floating trem, you know what a pain in the ass that is, even if you've got a spare guitar (which I do) right there on the stage, it's an incredible pain in the ass.

On a whim, I sub'd a set of D'addario before a gig we had 2 weeks ago and had no problems at all. None. They felt a little stiffer, but they weren't breaking. I can deal with that.

This past Saturday I gave Ernie one more chance....because the EB strings do play better. Put on a brand new set the afternoon before the show. Last song in the 1st set. Busted D. Changed it during the break, by cutting off the broken end, pulling a few turns off the post and re-clamping it. 3rd set 2nd song, busted again.

I've had it with EB. I've used those strings since the 80's and swore absolute loyalty to the brand. The few sets I had left have gone in the trash.

End of rant.

If you think D'Addarios are a bit too stiff for you, then try blue steels and see how you do.

Jimmy
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM

I use GHs boomers, sometimes i switch to D'Addarios a set. no strings have broken so far
I USED to use slinky's and I find they lose their tone faster than Ghs, AND I too have had problems with strings breaking often and sometimes in the first week, so I no* longer buy them.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Do you empty a clip from a machine gun into the guitar to pick the strings?

That's the only thing I can think of as to why you're breaking strings so often.(jking of course .)

It has to be something with your guitar. But if the change of brands works, maybe just stick with that for awhile and see if you can adjust.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 02:47 AM

Thats odd I have been using EB slinkys since the late 80's and have not had any problems with them.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 AM

No problem with Ernie Ball Strings here.

I use Regular slinky's (10-46). No string breakages (I had the same set on there for a couple of months at one stage), tone lasts for ages.

I'm using GHS Boomers 10-46's at the moment (as my uncle gave me a set of them) and I don't like them...Haven't had a breakage yet, but they are wearing out faster, when with the EB's they wear out after 2 months or so.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 AM

I have also been using super sinkys since the 80s with no issues. I hope this isn't an indication of declining quality.

Tags
allen wrench , ernie ball , ernie balls , floating trems , fret buzz , ray vaughan , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , string breakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode