Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 116
Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

I damaged my Peavey Valveking 112 this morning when I plugged my Boss RC-20XL into the effects loop while the amp was turned fully on (not on standby). I plugged the last cable of the loop into the "Return" plug of the amp's effects loop, and as I did so, there was a LOUD gunshot-like crack/pop. The amp was set at a bedroom volume, but this crack/pop sound was much louder than the volume the amp was set to. I'm sure this was not good for the amp, and I already knew that I should always insert/remove patch cords (from inputs / effects loops) when the amp turned off or at least on standby, but I guess I was in an impatient mood (been a bit grumpy about my RG350's relatively thin sound lately). Shortly thereafter, there was a constant passive buzzing noise from the amp. Plugging in / removing the guitar and the effects loop doesn't help, the amp is buzzing even if nothing is plugged in.

Later, I was dumb enough to repeat the mistake - I flicked the amp on standby but didn't wait long enough for the tubes to fully go out, and I yanked the cable from the "Return" plug in the effects loop, yielding another loud gunshot/crack/pop sound. Worried that I may have further damaged the amp, I removed every cable from every jack in the amp, flicked the standby switch back on, and, yep, the buzzing was there, stronger than before.

Now, question is - what kind of damage have I wreaked upon my amp to cause the buzzing? I'd expect it's a circuitry / tube issue, maybe a ground wire gone loose? Advice please. I know it's an amp issue, not a guitar or stomp box problem...
varador is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort Polk
Posts: 80
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

I have this issue with my jcm 800 combo so id like to also hear about this. My buddy said it was bad tubes or they need to be re biased. Id like to hear a more knowledgeable response from someone one here.
shotgunlew is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 234
Reviews: 1
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Answer: Class AB amp, over used/"bad" tubes magnify the problem. Biasing is not a problem seems its Peavey (self biasing). Could be a lot of things depending on the quality of parts but most AB amps buzz quite a lot, chances its messed up is quite slim.

Solution: a real Class A amp
Whey is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Worcester, MA USA
Posts: 26
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Mike Soldano suggestion...turn your gain/preamp volume way up, and slowly turn your master/poweramp volume down. If the noise stops when master is turned down, your in luck, preamp(s). If the noise persists, output tubes or worse. Hope that helps. BTW...a soldano will cure ALL thin sounding problems...I promise!!
dahjem is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 116
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

The buzzing sound isn't too bad, I mean I'm not exactly a studio artist or anything and I've gotten used to it, doesn't seem to be too bad. At least it keeps me aware when the amp is on

If it's a tubes / speaker issue then that's good news, as I'm intending to replace both of those in the Valveking eventually.

Whey: the Valveking can switch to Class A only using the Class A/B vs. Class A selection knob, I'll give Class A a try and see if it still buzzes...
varador is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Worcester, MA USA
Posts: 26
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Just a long shot...but if the noise isn't too bad, are you sure there's no lighting/dimmers interfering or a ground loop type of issue?
dahjem is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Chicagoland, IL.
Posts: 4,348
Reviews: 1
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Check cabling, grounding, both- on your guitar and amp, as was said, light fixtures, CRT monitors all lend a hand in making noise in a tube amp.

Good luck.
bammbamm is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: errm... a little help
Posts: 379
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

class A?
class A/B?
wtf?

whats my hotrod deluxe?

x
toma is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 170
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

yep this happened to me also
ive come to the conclusion that the valveking is possibly the worst sounding amp thats valve wired avadiable. I even bought new speakers (v30's) and its still sound like somebody's kicked it alot..
millzy is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 116
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

valveking only sounds as good as what its amplifying

i like it. is a v30 swap honestly worthless?
varador is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,687
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahjem View Post
Mike Soldano suggestion...turn your gain/preamp volume way up, and slowly turn your master/poweramp volume down. If the noise stops when master is turned down, your in luck, preamp(s). If the noise persists, output tubes or worse.
+1 on this one. This is how you check any master volume amp to identify the problem segment. Buzz is unlikely to originate in the power amp, though. Power amp can hum quite a bit when one of the power tubes (or a pair, if you have four) is bad or heavily mismatched.

Have a tech take a look at it. It should take about five minutes to identify the issue.
microdmitry is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Largs, Scotland
Posts: 99
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

I just received my G-Major in the mail today, and now whenever its plugged into the effects loop of my Marshall DSL 50, I have the same problem. I turned both gain and master down and it was still there. No hissing when I take the G-Major out though. I think I'll take it to a tech and see if they can help me with it
Repner is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:27 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brexit
Posts: 670
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
I damaged my Peavey Valveking 112 this morning when I plugged my Boss RC-20XL into the effects loop while the amp was turned fully on (not on standby). I plugged the last cable of the loop into the "Return" plug of the amp's effects loop, and as I did so, there was a LOUD gunshot-like crack/pop. The amp was set at a bedroom volume, but this crack/pop sound was much louder than the volume the amp was set to. I'm sure this was not good for the amp, and I already knew that I should always insert/remove patch cords (from inputs / effects loops) when the amp turned off or at least on standby, but I guess I was in an impatient mood (been a bit grumpy about my RG350's relatively thin sound lately). Shortly thereafter, there was a constant passive buzzing noise from the amp. Plugging in / removing the guitar and the effects loop doesn't help, the amp is buzzing even if nothing is plugged in.

Later, I was dumb enough to repeat the mistake - I flicked the amp on standby but didn't wait long enough for the tubes to fully go out, and I yanked the cable from the "Return" plug in the effects loop, yielding another loud gunshot/crack/pop sound. Worried that I may have further damaged the amp, I removed every cable from every jack in the amp, flicked the standby switch back on, and, yep, the buzzing was there, stronger than before.

Now, question is - what kind of damage have I wreaked upon my amp to cause the buzzing? I'd expect it's a circuitry / tube issue, maybe a ground wire gone loose? Advice please. I know it's an amp issue, not a guitar or stomp box problem...
You might have blown a ceramic coupling cap, open her up, (mind you dont kill yourself), look for any burnt up (blackened) or dry joint ceramic caps, especailly near the power amp tubes.
chris101 is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,687
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Coupling caps don't burn. Power supply caps can explode, but coupling caps are indestructible.
microdmitry is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brexit
Posts: 670
Re: Buzzing all-tube amp... How to make it stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry View Post
Coupling caps don't burn. Power supply caps can explode, but coupling caps are indestructible.
BS, we often replace HV ceramic caps.
chris101 is offline  
Reply

Tags
marshall dsl , peavey valveking , power amp , stomp box , tube amp

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you make your own tube amp? C.Thep Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 26 10-18-2006 08:57 PM
Tube tube tube. Help me out please.. Marshall JCM2000DSL SHsu516815 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 29 06-26-2003 04:40 PM
Calling All Tube amp experts! (tube emergency?) Greg RG7 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 11 09-18-2002 06:45 AM
tube amp quesions... jclogston Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 5 08-07-2002 02:06 PM
Legacy the unrelenting tube eater! - Getting ready for solid Darin W Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 6 01-28-2002 08:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome