Cab question. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Cab question.

Ok, now this may sound like a stupid question but i can't help but ask.

Soon i'll be aquring a JCM 800 cab, and i want to know if i can plug my 15 watt line 6 spider into it through the headphone jack, i know the answer is probably a no but it's worth asking.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Cab question.

Well, if your 800 cab is a 4x12 then it's a 16 ohm load mono input. I doubt your Line 6 has a matched output. Mismatched ohm loads can damage your amp....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure my amp is 4 ohms, so i'm guessing that is a definet no...

thanks.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The headphone outs on most electronics, especially amps, are not direct line outs--they are compensated for lower levels. Whay you could do, and this will require just a basic knowledge of electronics/wiring, is to ad your own speaker output. To do this, take the two wire off of the Line Y speaker, splice in another two leads with a 1/4" phone jack female end. Then hook the original speaker leads back into the Line 6 speaker and you have the new plug dangling from the leads. Run a 1/4" instrument/speaker cable from that to your Marshall cab. Now you'll get sound from the Spider AND the Marshall.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The headphone outs on most electronics, especially amps, are not direct line outs--they are compensated for lower levels. Whay you could do, and this will require just a basic knowledge of electronics/wiring, is to ad your own speaker output. To do this, take the two wire off of the Line Y speaker, splice in another two leads with a 1/4" phone jack female end. Then hook the original speaker leads back into the Line 6 speaker and you have the new plug dangling from the leads. Run a 1/4" instrument/speaker cable from that to your Marshall cab. Now you'll get sound from the Spider AND the Marshall.
Might work Bat, but a single speaker usually carries an 8 ohm load- still have the mismatch.
My suggestion is to go to a local electrical tech and have him set up a 16 ohm output jack from the amp - then your matched impedance will make that Marshall scream.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Yeah--the impedance would be the big issue.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM

i don't think you can do that. Thats adding another speaker parallel to the one which is there probably lowers the resistance ,if i remember right, and may damage the amp.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
i don't think you can do that. Thats adding another speaker parallel to the one which is there probably lowers the resistance ,if i remember right, and may damage the amp.
That's what we're talking about--the impedance is the problem, unless he can get the amp modded for the load.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM

i know nothing about line 6 amps but most amps i have seen you can just unplug the original speaker , and plug in the cab. Maybe the load is switchable on the amps back. Than the amp just powers the cab, and the internal speaker is off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
i know nothing about line 6 amps but most amps i have seen you can just unplug the original speaker , and plug in the cab. Maybe the load is switchable on the amps back. Than the amp just powers the cab, and the internal speaker is off.
No--when you "unplug" the original speaker, you just have the two leads, not a phono plug to insert into a cab.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok then new idea, I'm not sure which cab it is, so it could ither have 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers, i've heard 16 ohm 4x12's can be wired to 4, 16, and 64ohms. if that's the case i can wire it to 4 ohms and it will be matched....would that work?

Tags
cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode