Cabinet Speaker Wirking Question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Cabinet Speaker Wirking Question

I currently have a Pod X3 live powered by a bugera 333xl and running through a Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 (which has Celestion G12T-75s) I play an RGT3120 with PAFs and I am in drop C 58-10 (style of music is progressive with metal influences). I am trying to improve my tone and from what I have read it seems the G12K-100 is a step in the right direction when trying to get good distortion tones. I wanted to buy another 1x12 to put a Celestion G12K-100 in it and run only my distortion through that cabinet and cleans only through the 2x12. I was discussing with a friend and he suggested that I buy the G12K-100 and get it installed into my Marshall 2x12 and have the cabinet rewired so each speaker is independent of each other. And then live have both of the speakers micd up. Is this possible to do what I am wanting with like this? and would it sound good? Is the G12K-100 good? is there anything you consider better?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Cabinet Speaker Wirking Question

You'll need two amps. Running speakers in stereo will not do it. You have to have separate power driving those speakers and each with the different settings you want.
If you do a site search for cabinet wiring--you'll find the links I posted to Shavano Music with wiring diagrams.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 15

Personally I would try just replacing one speaker in the cab to see what the tone is like coming through 2 different speakers. You can definitely wire the cab so the speakers are independent, but then you'd have to run something like an a/b switch to toggle between the two speakers when you're playing.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I looked up those links alaskabat, but I think silver has a good idea. and then I would not have to deal with 2 amps and the a/b switch
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Cabinet Speaker Wirking Question

I am using an old Crate 2x12 cab to practice and I got a killer deal on some Eminence Texas Heat Speakers. I pulled both Celestion out of my cab and replaced them. I didn't like the sound though, to low endy and no hot top end. So i decided to pull one of the Eminence speakers and put back a Celestion, no it sounds pretty killer. I get the High endy sound i want outta the Celestion and more low end from the Eminence
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 AM

If you really want BIG TONE, you need a large or oversized 4x12 cabinet.
No 1x12 or 2x12 is going to really stomp and put out the big bottom end.
The G12K-100 is the big boy of the Celestion family, it has the big tone.
It's a 100Wwatt speaker, it should get good cleans even at high volumes depending on the rest of your rig and it's setup.

In my mind there are two schools of thought with speakers.
1. You rig creates 95% of the tone and the cab conveys that tone to your ears.
2. your speakers color the tone coming from your rig adding the hole sound you hear.
This usually requires a higher level of volume to puss the speakers to distort.

Food for thought-

Tags
cabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode