Cabinets - converting mono to stereo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Cabinets - converting mono to stereo

anybody ever convert a mono cab to stereo? how would you do this, and what are the disadvantages if any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:54 PM

Cabinets

Ask boB about this.
He has a mono Marshall that he told me he was eventually gonna convert to stereo.
He's very skillfull in these areas.

Scott
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:17 AM

Cabinets

It actually is very easy to convert a mono cab to stereo. But as easy as it would be there are acouple things to consider. *When you split the cab like that you have too consider what the ohms of each side will now be. Which way you will wire the two new side seires or parallel. If these are concepts you do not understand you maybe best off not trying. but if you want to try you can buy everything you need at radio shack and have the job done in about 15 minutes.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 10:32 AM

Cabinets

I understand that Carvin makes speaker input jacks that can switch to Stereo.
Out,
GP *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:12 AM

Cabinets

If you can get a switch from carvin or someone else(why limit yourself to just stereo? You might want mono operation again), know what the speaker impedances in the cab are, and know how to wire things in series/parrallell, and also know how to calculate the overall impedance of your wiring, you'll be fine. It's not hard to do. If you don't know some of this stuff, or are not confident about doing it yourself, then get someone else to do it so that you don't damage/kill your amp/sound by running it through an unmatched impedance. It's simple and doesn't take long, but you may have to rout/modify the back of your cab to fit in a switch or something.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:23 AM
rgr

Cabinets

Most stereo cabinets, if wired correctly work in stereo or mono depending on which/how many jacks you plug into. *

The problem with converting a mono cabinet to stereo is that most cabinets that are made for stereo operation also have a baffle inside to separate the speakers in the 2 sides for stereo operation. *This helps keep the 2 sides separated to lessen phase problems, etc... from running stereo effects.

Hope this helps,
Roger
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Cabinets

Quote:
The problem with converting a mono cabinet to stereo is that most cabinets that are made for stereo operation also have a baffle inside to separate the speakers in the 2 sides for stereo operation. *This helps keep the 2 sides separated to lessen phase problems, etc... from running stereo effects.
ahh. didn't think about that. think i'll just buy a stereo marshall and keep my 5150 the way it is. thanks everyone for your input.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:59 AM

Cabinets

I never understood the point of running stereo out of a single cabinet, I bought 2 2x12's to run stereo, I can point them away from each other a little more,move them around if I want, and get better seperation, but, it's just my opinion anyway.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 10:03 AM

Cabinets

Mesa Boogie sells input jacks all pre wired in whatever configuration you want. *Just give them a call and they will solder one up for you. *All you have to do when you get it is solder the speaker wires to the speaker terminals. *You must keep the load in mind when you split anything into stereo. *Depending on how it was configured (series or Parallel) your load on the amp will be different and will require the right output load configuration,i.e., ideally you want to match impedences. *You can mismatch but only in one direction, that is if your speakers have a higher impedence than your output you are ok. *If it is the other way around, you're in trouble and it will damage your power amp.

BTW I had them wire up a stereo mono jack plate for my recto 2x12. *In stereo it does sound a little more full, but I did it mainly for my power amp so I didn't have to keep switching which side I ran off of in mono to even out the tube wear. *Even so, I swear it sounds a little better now. *I suspect that you might have some more phase issues with a 4x12 without a baffle inside...but you never know until you take a swing at it.

Tags
input jacks , jack plate , mesa boogie , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode