Cabs... Help :P! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 20
Cabs... Help :P!

Hi all, Hope all is well. I'm just wondering what woods are good for Cab construction? Also, if possible could you explain what makes a cab good or bad, or properties of a certain type of construction (e.g. Open back/Closed back) if you get me?
Thanks
Best Regards
Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: Cabs... Help :P!

Materials range from a lot of different solid woods, to plywood (mostly birch, but I've gone cheap before and used spare pine plywood for really cheap budget cabs). Constuction is as simple as you want it to be. Basically a box with sufficient bracing. I usually build a cab strong enough for me to sit on it and it not make a peep (I weigh like 150lbs). Open vs. closed back is all about preference. I like a closed back 4x12 w/ a open back 2x12 on top

There should be plenty of sites with tons of info if you search "guitar cab construction" on google or something. They will all pretty much get the same points across...

Last edited by brothersnowgone; 08-05-2008 at 07:33 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I checked it out, I'm not sure :S I can't find a decent site ! Would you say, in a cab, you pay for the construction quality and speakers it comes with rather than the woods used?
Thanks
Regards
Jonny
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:05 AM

Reviews: 7

You got the basic idea. Although a birch ply cab will probably sound a bit more defined and crisp then say a cheaper pine ply cab. But any good thickness, strong material can be used to make a modern cab and sound pretty good. All that really matters is no joint's vibrating, and nothing rattle's what-so-ever.

Last edited by brothersnowgone; 08-05-2008 at 07:32 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

So its as simple as that? Wow, I thought there must be more to it than that giving the prices of some cabs out there in comparison to others- amazing! Thanks Brothersnowgone !
All the best
Regards
Jonny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode