Cabs: Mesa 2X12 Recto VS Legacy Extension - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Cabs: Mesa 2X12 Recto VS Legacy Extension

Well I've played the mesa 2x12 recto cab, it sounds great but it costs $500. That's a little steep for just a cab, so I didn't get one. I recently noticed that Carvin makes a 2X12 extension cab for the legacy series, and it looks a little more reasonable at $350. Both cabs are loaded with celestion vintage 30's, but I want to know if anyone has advice on what the differences and pros/cons of the two cabs are. Also, if you know of any other 2x12 cabs that you would reccomend, feel free to mention them, I would appreciate it. The amp I'll be using is a Tech 21 PSA-1 preamp with a Roland GP-16 in the effects loop through a mesa 20/20 power amp. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:53 PM

you thought $500 for the cab was steep? over here in the UK they are £695, and at todays exchange rates thats exactly $1,271.80 US. You have no idea how it feels to be ripped off so bad . I tried out a carvin cab a while back and it sounded great. Not the same tightness of the recto, but still real cool cab - you could do alot worse.
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:25 PM

At least Marshalls were supposed to be cheaper there. How much does a 1960 go for in England?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:13 PM

If you're looking for other cabinet recommendations, two popular choices around here are the Genz Benz G-Glex 212 and Avatar speakers.

I have the G-Flex powered by a Peavey Classic 50/50 and it's got balls. You can generally get them for $400 to $450 on eBay.

I've heard good things about the Avatars as well, and you can order them with any speakers you want, and their prices are very reasonable. ($339 +$34 shipping for one equipped with Celestion Vintage 30s)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks man, I'm liking the custom options on those Avatars. Might spring for an all black one with the Vintage 30's. At this point I think its either that or the Legacy extension, but I like the idea of having my own customized cab and I've heard some conflicting reports on the reliability of Carvin gear.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:01 PM

The other Carvin 2x12 is only about $229...same dimensions as the Legacy, and I think better looking. Only problem--most likely mediocre speakers. I've seen a few of those cabs used on "that auction site" lately. Avatar seems like a great option.
Greg
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:09 PM

When I tried out my TSL100 prior to buying it, the guy had an avatar 2x12 and I didn't have my boogie 2x12 with me. To be brutally honest, I almost didn't buy the head it sounded pretty awful through that cab. But I'd heard them before and took a chance. Brought it home and immediately plugged in my recto 2x12 and it was night and day different. I don't know what speakers he had but it was a terrible sounding cabinet....don't know why or know anything about the company, just my experience. The recto 2x12 just blew it away with this head.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Damn, I don't like the sound of that...

Although one with vintage 30's probably wouldn't sound that different from the mesa recto cab...

Anyone here have an Avatar with Vintage 30's that they can comment on? I don't want to compromise quality. I read the H-Central reviews but they're always the same crap about how awesome it is.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78
At least Marshalls were supposed to be cheaper there. How much does a 1960 go for in England?
at coda music for a 1960A there charging £418, which is $766 US at todays excahnge rates.

-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:38 AM

if its dove tailed pine it should be nice......hehe buy a cornford cab
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:51 AM

I've heard great things about the cornford 2x12 cab and the THD 2x12...problem is that they are double what he's looking to dump into this.

Don't think that my experience is the gospel or anything, there could be many factors involved that we just don't know about. It could have been a very old design which has changed, different construction techniques, who knows, maybe it had radio shack speakers in it? As always, it is best to try stuff out for yourself. Even with the carvin, at least you can send it back if you don't like it...they have a trial period thing. I'd probably do that rather than buy something I didn't have much experience with. Speaker cabinets have an enormous effect on your sound, no matter how awesome your amp is, pump it through a crap cabinet and you get crap.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:54 AM

I've heard great things about the cornford 2x12 cab and the THD 2x12...problem is that they are double what he's looking to dump into this.

Don't think that my experience is the gospel or anything, there could be many factors involved that we just don't know about. It could have been a very old design which has changed, different construction techniques, who knows, maybe it had radio shack speakers in it? As always, it is best to try stuff out for yourself. Even with the carvin, at least you can send it back if you don't like it...they have a trial period thing. I'd probably do that rather than buy something I didn't have much experience with. Speaker cabinets have an enormous effect on your sound, no matter how awesome your amp is, pump it through a crap cabinet and you get crap.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:13 AM

I can speak to the Carvin Legacy cab. I got mine on e-Bay for around $250. It sounds great. My only complaint is that I wanted to make it stereo, but the 16 ohm speakers then wouldn't be compatible with my 4/8 ohm power amp. I recommend them. I looked seriously at Avatar for a while. I don't think you could go wrong there. The customer service seems fantastic.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM

I considered getting a Legacy 2x12 instead of my Rectifier 2x12 when i purchased my TSL. The reason i didn't? Call me anal, but the Legacy is intended to be run with the Legacy Combo, and designed with that in mind. Electronically, this isn't a problem, as it's rated to carry the full wattage of the thing. However, cosmetically... Because the combo is a little narrower than the legacy head, which is a little narrower than my TSL, the TSL would have jutted out an inch or two on both sides over the Legacy 2x12 cab. It wouldn't have been a problem with the (wider) 4x12, but it'd have looked pretty weird, so i passed.

How does the legacy cabinet series compare to the rectifier otherwise? I'm kinda thinking i want a 4x12, and am considering selling my mesa for a legaxy cab...

-D

Tags
celestion vintage , extension cab , genz benz , mesa recto , ohm speaker , ohm speakers , peavey classic , power amp , recto cab , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode