Camcorder suggestions for youtube vids - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Camcorder suggestions for youtube vids

Hi all, right now i have a sony handycam DVD which records directly onto a re-writeable mini DVD which is ok, good quality picture, good quality sound etc..

But not good enough for my guitar recordings for youtube. The handycam i have records in .vob files which is a nightmare to convert to files that windows moviemaker will accept.

Im looking for a good quality HD camcorder that will help take a good video, that i can import into moviemaker, and once i have recorded my guitar track using reaper and rendered to an mp3 i can them import that mp3 as a soundtrack into the video.

Or is there a simpler way?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Re: Camcorder suggestions for youtube vids

I don't think there's a simpler way.

You have to record your sound and image separately and then mix them up in the end to get a proper recording.

The problem is to match the right take in reaper with the right recorded picture... because unless you're planning to stop and start the camcorder, you'll have a big file with plenty of takes. Or if you're a guitar hero, then everything is easy... 1 take without mistakes

Then it's a matter of synch on movie maker or whatever. I find movie maker awkward as it doesn't work with .mov files which is what many cameras these days use to encode.

I was doing a research on a cam to use, and I realized I might go for the Panasonic HDC-SD60. It's not exactly cheap, but it's a good quality camera and has some nice features for making youtube videos:
- You can flip the LCD to the front so that you can see yourself on the cam while playing
- It works in AC which means you won't run out of batteries
- Works well in low light
- Records long files (dunno if it skips frames when it has to switch files, after exceeding 4 gb per file)
- It's good enough to use outside too

On the con side, it only records 1080i which is overkill for youtube.. you'll definitely have to re-scale the video down before working with it
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Most still cameras can do HD video these days which is more than enough for youtube. As mindwalker said, you'd need to record audio separately anyways, so that should be a primary concern. I played with my cannon still camera for video and direct recording with palmer PDI sim. Windows movie maker can take any AVI file and mp3 and mix them together. Much better than recorded with camera mic.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:33 AM

yep most digital photo cameras bought today can also do videos and encode them in AVCHD, at 720p which is perfect for youtube.

But you will probably need to buy a separate AC plug to avoid running the cam on batteries. From my experience with a Panasonic DMC-FX500, after 30 mins recording/using on a full charge you're out of juice! It might seem a lot, but that means like 10-15 takes before you need to spend another 2 hours charging the battery. 10-15 takes might not be good enough if you're after the perfect take.

Not just that, but most cameras cannot be controlled / monitored from the PC as webcam, which means that you have to make a few trials with the positioning of the camera to make sure you're in the frame (since you can't see what you're doing cause you won't be facing the screen). With a camcorder with flipscreen you can tell easily on the spot

And most cameras won't shoot video seamlessly... whereas camcorders do (although eventually dropping frames off while switching files)

Little problems that may make you look after a dedicated camcorder which you can also use for other stuff (outside, trips, etc) as well as youtube.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 130

I've been having good success with my Creative Vado 2nd generation (there's a 3rd-gen out now), my Memorex MCC228RS (screen flips around to front), and my ZOOM Q3. With the Memorex positioned stationary, the Vado in-hand, and the ZOOM recording audio only to preserve battery (even though it IS the only one that will run on DC power) I can record just about anything I need and then sync the clips in either Windows Live Movie Maker (quick and dirty), Sonar Home Studio XL (a few more features), or SONAR Producer 8.5 (full-featured).

Cheers,
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Whilst having HD video is useful, it isn't the be all and end all... you need a good lens and preferably a 3CCD chip to get the true color definition. (EDIT: a lot of single CCD camcorders suffer from an inability to faithfully render blue colours - especially in low lux conditions)

I've used a Canon XM2 (not HD) for a number of years now, and every time anybody watches one of my finished productions they all remark on the quality. Its full PAL 720x576 resolution and so falls short of HD by quite a bit but NOBODY EVER NOTICES!

In essence, lots of consumer camcorders may have HD definition but be let down by poor a CCD, bad colour fidelity, or a lens that is subject to a whole host of problems.

Don't get fixated on HD resolution unless you are really going to need to use it and strictly speaking it needs to be backed up by high quality components in the rest of the camera/camcorder.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Canon xm2 eh? blimey they not cheap, but they really that good? what does it record onto? sd? h/d?

cheers
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You know, surprisingly, the Flip Mino HD is pretty decent. It's inexpensive and records in 720p. No matter what you end up getting, you'll need a decent video editing program--sorry, but Win Movie Maker is not it. I have always had great results with Adobe After Effects and Premiere.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian555 View Post
Canon xm2 eh? blimey they not cheap, but they really that good? what does it record onto? sd? h/d?

cheers
When I bought mine (few years ago) I was working at an online retailer so I got it for cost price... even with recent price cuts it would still cost me more to purchase a new one now in shops/internet at the average selling price.

The XM2 records onto mini-DV tape - might be somewhat antiquated these day but the results are still excellent. Of course this does mean that you have to capture your footage onto the PC via firewire in real-time, and if you do regular work/events for other people you end up with an archive of tapes into 3 figures...

Either way, although there are camcorders now available that are definitely better in many ways, I can't fault my XM2 - any slight misgivings I have about features can often be done in post production.

Having said that... for prosumer or professional use I do miss having manual (and instant access) control of aperture, zoom, and focus.

I guess if funds allowed I'd be buying the newer Canon XH, or even a XF which has 3 CMOS full HD.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

woooosh, staight over me head, lol, got my eye on a Canon xm2, should be enough for me.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so just bought a canon xm2 for £500, game on.......
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 PM

I've gotten good results with a cheap "flip" camera. The nice thing about it is that I can attach it to my headstock with mini-bunjee cords from walmart, and it provides an interesting angle. I'll post a couple links to my youtube videos taken with it (after I have enough posts here, so the frickin site allows me to post links....)
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmajoros View Post
I've gotten good results with a cheap "flip" camera. The nice thing about it is that I can attach it to my headstock with mini-bunjee cords from walmart, and it provides an interesting angle. I'll post a couple links to my youtube videos taken with it (after I have enough posts here, so the frickin site allows me to post links....)
forgot to mention... I don't use the software it came with: I edited my recent dokken cover video using Final Cut Express, which was $69 after academic discount (I work at a university).
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 PM

Here's my dokken cover video, recorded using a cheap "flip" camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DAucE2f-lg

not pro quality, but maybe good enough for youtube?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 AM

Now that's what a call a cover! Most people just do the guitar... you did everything!!

Good video quality and lots of helpful recording tips!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode