Can someone tell me? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Can someone tell me?

Why does Crate have such a bad rep? I have a 1994 Vintage Club 50w Head with a Crate 4x10 next to my Mesa Stiletto Deuce. I find myself using the Crate just as much as the Stiletto. The cleans are AMAZING, and I can dial in some really nice overdriven tones. It sounds fantastic.

However, I have yet to try any newer crates. Did the quality decrease or what? I would just like to know why everyone (99%) seems to bash them around here and other places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:43 PM

Re: Can someone tell me?

its because of the 90% of solid state crap they put out.

Crate Tube > Crate Solid State

They churn out some bad solid state amps. And thats where the stereotype comes from.

The vintage club are nice amps, so were the Blue Voodoo's
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
its because of the 90% of solid state crap they put out.

Crate Tube > Crate Solid State

They churn out some bad solid state amps. And thats where the stereotype comes from.

The vintage club are nice amps, so were the Blue Voodoo's
Agreed, the solid state amps are so ultra common too, it just seems that ive heard so many beginner players playing out of them. Would you guys agree that low end peavey is superior to crate though? My younger friends keep asking me what solid state amp to get, and i really push them towards the line 6 amps. Its just too much to expect a beginner to get a tube amp but it hink the low end line6 stuff is perfect for practice, bedroom, beginner amps myself.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:11 PM

good answers !!
in a nutshell - crate = 90% crap
solid state = line6 (although I have a marshall valvestate)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
rgr

The new Powerblock is a nice amp to have around. It is a single channel, not high gain, more in the JCM800 style but sounds good with pedals. It's a killer backup or can be used as a power amp for preamps.

Some of Crate's old stuff was pretty bad, some of the new stuff is pretty nice.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I agree with you all that their solid state isn't too good, but like I said, the old VC series are amazing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:56 PM

crates are for shipping stuff in not amps .

joking aside , crate's tube amps aren't too bad . most of thier amps suck IMO but they aren't all bad . V- series tube amps are used by quite a few people .
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 12:24 AM

I was at 4 of this years' Guitar Center "Best of the Blues" guitar shootouts in MD. Both Baltimore stores provided the same amps for use by the performers during competition: Marshall DSL 100w head w/ 1960A 4x12 cab, Line 6 Vetta 300w head w/ L6 4x12 cab, Fender '65 Twin Reverb RI 2x12 85w combo and a Crate V32 Palomino 1x12 30w combo.

Out of all the performances IMO, the players using the Fender and Crate had far superior tone than the half-stackers. The clean headroom of the Twin was more pronounced than the Crate, but the V32 had the best slightly dirty and full distorted tube amp kick out of all that I heard those nights.

If I could swing the cash, I'd rather have a Mesa Stiletto Ace combo. If I only had $500, I'd buy the Crate V series over a cheap Fender, solid state Marshall or modeler.

Last edited by ScottB; 07-19-2006 at 12:37 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:03 AM

Reviews: 34

A mate of mine has had a crate hybrid preamp for years (valve in the drive, and tranny in the clean channel). It does rock. Not as versatile as my JMP1 but simple enought that I can use it. We did get some great tones out of it actually.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM

I had a crate solid state (years ago) and the distortion on it sounded like bacon in a frying pan.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8rulz
I had a crate solid state (years ago) and the distortion on it sounded like bacon in a frying pan.
Eh i prefered the egg on the sidewalk crunch myself...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Keep in mind guys, I'm referring to the tube series. Of course most solid-state amps are going to sound like crap.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:51 PM

i have a crate solid state that is 120 watts so it can get loud! 2 disto channels (solo and rhythm) and a very nice clean channel. The solo channel sounds really good imo and the reverb is delicious.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 PM

I agreed, years ago. Our other guitarist played one, back in the day (80s). Now, I find happily playing through a Crate Excalibur, solid state head. I recently went out, looking at new amps, thinking about making my ousnd better. In the end, I only ended up liking my amp head, more. The amp sounded nice, by itself, running into my 80s Laney cab. The trick was adding, and tweaking out, an EQ, in the loop. Really woke things up, as it will with many other amps. Now, if I don't "upgrade", I won't be all that hearbroken.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 PM

have you seen the 500W Crate...talk about overdoing it.

Tags
amp head , blue voodoo , dimebag darrell , extension cab , marshall dsl , marshall valvestate , mesa dual , mesa stiletto ace , power amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , solid state head , stiletto ace , tube amp , tube amps , twin reverb , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode