Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
 
webmaestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 770
Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

I'm just curious if anyone has played with one of these. I've only seen them in some of the Vai rig rundowns on YT, and I think they come standard on the JEM7V7.
webmaestro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

I can think of no reason to get one of these. Same shape, same size, same feel, just slightly lighter. Purely a sales gimmik by ibanez if you ask me. Only reason to get one is the look imo. its not like the normal ones are super heavy to begin with lol
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,646
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

now I've heard it all. LOL
GUITARMAGEDDON is offline  
post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,948
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

Huge difference in weight, huge difference in feel. It may seem gimmick to some but these pros don't just change something they constantly use without good reason, and they're not making a dime on the bar sales
Rich is offline  
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
 
webmaestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 770
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

I can see both sides, especially considering the price of these bad boys. But, as a heavy trem user I'd definitely like to at least check one out.

Rich, in addition to the 7V7, do these come standard with any other models?
webmaestro is offline  
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,948
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

All Japanese JEM and JS's [not on the Premiums or below]
Rich is offline  
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: izmir
Posts: 407
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

I wonder if they melt cause of sweaty hands like the traditional tremolo-bars
mertay is offline  
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

do they make the guitar go faster?
elcid is offline  
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Huge difference in weight, huge difference in feel. It may seem gimmick to some but these pros don't just change something they constantly use without good reason, and they're not making a dime on the bar sales
Eh I played a js at guitar center with it, I didn't notice a huge difference in weight or feel. Were talking the difference of a couple ounces. Keep in mind the artists get $ from sales, gimmiks boost sales... how many people are spending 40 bucks to emulate their guitar heros? How can you say they aren't making money off it??? Lol


Guitarists need to make up their damn minds! Light or heavy. From titanium floyds for light weight tone to big brass blocks and trem claws for tone.... its all silly. If you need a lighter bar get an aluminum one. It would be lighter then carbon fiber (yes it will. These are wet layed carbon fiber, and would weigh more then an aluminum bar). The only reason for this is the "ooh-la-la" of carbon and the look it provides)

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 04-25-2013 at 05:12 PM.
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,948
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

Please point out the guy that bought a JEM to get a UL bar, because that's the only way Steve is making any money from it.

Regular bar is 1.7oz, UL is .6, it's 1/3 the weight, much larger diameter, and has a very non slippery touch. They feel completely different, and are $90, not $40.

AFAIK nobody is making an aluminum Edge bar......
Rich is offline  
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
 
webmaestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 770
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Regular bar is 1.7oz, UL is .6, it's 1/3 the weight, much larger diameter, and has a very non slippery touch. They feel completely different, and are $90, not $40.

AFAIK nobody is making an aluminum Edge bar......
Wow... I didn't realize it was THAT much lighter.

On the topic of aluminum... I have to believe that the engineers at Ibanez were smart enough to have tried that during the "years in the making" and "road testing" that Satch referrs to in this video. Aluminum certainly would've been MY first thought, and I'm not an engineer. Though probably lighter and cheaper, my guess is aluminum turned out to be sub-optimal for some reason.

The reason I'm so curious about these UL bars is because I want the bar to stay where I put it (near my playing hand)... without having to constantly change the bushings, add nail polish, etc. when it gets loose. And I do NOT want the Floyd-style arm mod. Seems like the bushings on a bar that weighs only .6oz would last longer before needing to be replaced.

Of course, I'm not sure I'm ready to pay $90 for the UL bar either. Yowza! Hence the reason for this thread...

Last edited by webmaestro; 04-25-2013 at 07:15 PM.
webmaestro is offline  
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,948
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

They used to make Joe titanium bars.

The Synchroni bars are either titanium or aluminum, super light, but for the ZR2/EZ holder [no bushing on the bar]

Even with the UL it would need some grip from the bushings to stay in place.
Rich is offline  
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

Another benefit is that the tremolo will be better balanced. The guitar is usually set up without the bar attached. Adding the weight of the arm will pull the tremolo in the direction it's pointing (which for many is not straight down).
The Euphor is offline  
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
Wow... I didn't realize it was THAT much lighter.

On the topic of aluminum... I have to believe that the engineers at Ibanez were smart enough to have tried that during the "years in the making" and "road testing" that Satch referrs to in this video. Aluminum certainly would've been my first thought, and I'm NOT an engineer. Though probably lighter and cheaper, my guess is aluminum turned out to be sub-optimal for some reason.

The reason I'm so curious about these UL bars is because I want the bar to stay where I put it (near my playing hand)... without having to constantly change the bushings... or add nail polish... or do the Floyd-style arm mod.

Aluminum has a large majority of the properties of titanium at 1/10th the cost. The only reason to get titanium (in this context) is because its exotic, same as this carbon fiber trem bar. The main key difference between titanium and aluminum is that aluminum has much lower heat resistance for corrosion purposes, and some alloys exhibit corrosion over time, whereas titanium does not. Why they never made an aluminum bar, I'm not certain, as it would give the same effect as it would have given the same effect as this carbon fiber or titanium bar.

If your edge bar is flopping around its because the bushings are shot and need to be replaced...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Regular bar is 1.7oz, UL is .6, it's 1/3 the weight, much larger diameter, and has a very non slippery touch.



For those that compare 1.7 oz to .6 oz... thats roughly equivalent to 5 sheets of standard printing paper. Edit: my bad on the price, that merely furthers my point though. 90$ for 5 sheets of paper in weight, and s lightly different shape at the tip. I don't know about you, but my hands never "Slip off" the trem bar", nor does the original bar feel "heavy". Im sorry to point this out to you, as a seller, but its silly and you should know it. Its a gimmick, and should be focused on looks. I'm also POSITIVE joe and steve aren't "making a dime" doing promotional videos for this bar... *eye roll*


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Another benefit is that the tremolo will be better balanced. The guitar is usually set up without the bar attached. Adding the weight of the arm will pull the tremolo in the direction it's pointing (which for many is not straight down).
yet again, we're tlaking about the weight of a couple sheets of paper. The tremolo is balanced with over a 100 pounds of force on either end, 1.1 ounces isn't going to change ANYTHING.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 04-25-2013 at 07:30 PM.
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
 
CosmicDebris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 3,986
Re: Carbon Fiber Tremolo Bar

CosmicDebris is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
carbon fiber JS1000 linuxpenguin Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 21 08-27-2011 04:58 PM
Carbon Fiber Fetish! Chris From Singapore. Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 33 09-27-2005 12:02 AM
Carbon Fiber Body RSVampire Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 18 01-22-2004 05:02 PM
carbon fiber top shaddoe Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 09-27-2003 07:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome