Carvin Legacy 1 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Carvin Legacy 1

Has anyone modified their Legacy 1 amplifier? I noticed Mercury Magnetics has a model specifically made for the Legacy 1. The part number is CARV-LEGA-O.

Also, do you think SV plays a stock Legacy 1 or do you think he has upgraded the transformers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM

Re: Carvin Legacy 1

I've been thinking about modding mine with ben fargen mods, I talked to Vai earlier this year and he says the Legacy 1's are all stock. I'm definitely adding a MV and I MAY swap the tranny/choke from fargen.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 15

I thought Vai was using the Legacy 3 now
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 PM

He has 2 legacy 1's and 2 legacy 3's on the road. For the show I saw a few weeks ago he said it would be mostly legacy 1's. There seems to be some mojo for how simple the circuitry is in the legacy 1s? Idk, I'm still thinking about modding my amps though because I love the legacy but sort of want a slighlty more complex/dimensional tone that a new tranny probably could help with.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Mercury Magnetics makes great stuff!
They have parts for several amps, too.
Don't just change out the tranny--get the choke, too.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM

i did a fair few mods to my L1`s,resistor/cap changes,ppimvm(master volume mod)
would be interesting to know what if any changes the tranny swap and adding a choke would do tonally.
i`m pretty sure sv`s are stock and the L3`s on tour seem to be there just for show.
to me the L1`s are a nicer tone but the L3`s are more usable for most people.
i converted my bogner ecstacy from 110v to 240v using a mm transformer and there products are top quality.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
He has 2 legacy 1's and 2 legacy 3's on the road. For the show I saw a few weeks ago he said it would be mostly legacy 1's. There seems to be some mojo for how simple the circuitry is in the legacy 1s? Idk, I'm still thinking about modding my amps though because I love the legacy but sort of want a slighlty more complex/dimensional tone that a new tranny probably could help with.
I just saw him in NYC and he was just mainly using the Legacy 1 only also. The Legacy 3 was not use at all.

Tags
mercury magnetics upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode