Carvin Legacy - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Carvin Legacy

I am trying to decide wether or not to buy a Carvin Legacy 2 head and cab. The problem is I do not gig and would only use it for bedroom playing (at the moment!) Would I be able to use it at low volumes and not upset the neighbours . The deal is a good one but the volume issue could sway it for me. I currently have a Line 6 Flextone 2 amp but would dearly like to play a valve amp. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Carvin Legacy

I think it depends on if you're going to ever gig out with it. If it's a really good deal, then you might as well go for it. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell it. If you don't have any aspirations of gigging with it, or you're worried that you might not be able to make your money back when selling, I might think twice since it's a lot of amp for bedroom playing and there are more reasonable valve offerings.

As for tone/volume, the master volume does a good job. It's certainly better than the first legacy for playing quiet but tube amps and the way we perceive their sounds are better when you can get the volume up a bit. How quiet do you need it to be at home? I thought it got a little thin when trying to keep it to conversation volumes and lower.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 PM

are you not able to try it before buying it? if not, i would say you may be disappointed in the tone at bedroom levels. every tube amp i've owned has sounded much better when you can push the power tubes, including my little 5 watt blackstar. keep in mind bedroom volume for a 50 - 100w tube amp is typically around 1 - 2
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM

The Legacy 2 (and 1, for that matter) sound great at a bedroom volume. The volume on the Legacy 1 is jumpy, but the 2 has a master volume, so you won't run into that. Unless you're looking for power tube distortion, low volumes are fine (for tube amps.) An amp like the legacy gets its tone from preamp distortion, so you'll be fine. Since most players get their gain from either a preamp, or a pedal, the whole idea of 'turning an amp up,' isn't as practical as if you're using an old marshall or fender. Yes, you will get sag, and it will sound good, or better at a high volume.. But no, you don't need to crank most modern amps in order to make them sound good. The reason Marshalls and Recto's sound horrible at a bedroom volume, is because of the buzzy high frequencies. In the mix a band, they cut through, and sound great. In your bedroom, they sound terrible. Not much to do with volume, in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode