Carvin Legacy combo settings - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Question Carvin Legacy combo settings

I am just curious as to what settings everyone has there legacy at as far as treble,bass, mids, prescence, and reverb. and if they use just the clean channel and if so then are they using the pres. button and so on. Also whats a good combo with the legacy and a ds-1 as far as settings on both the amp and the pedal.

My setup: Jem 7vwh (les paul somtimes)-crybaby--boss cs-3 comp-tubescreamer--ds1--boss chorus CE5--boss flanger--boss dd3 digital delay-legacy clean channel(pres. button on and treb at 7,mid 3, bass 5)

i like the tone with the tubescreamer for my rythm drive and my ds-1 for lead but i'd like to get the ultra mod on the ds-1, anyways any suggestions would be appreciated since i am a tone freak and i am always looking for a better tone. Any and all sugg. appreciated and also why is my reverb on my legacy so noisy when i turn it up?? even when it is off??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:36 AM

Re: Carvin Legacy combo settings

My setup: Ibanez JPM P4 straight into the Lead Channel (2x12 combo loaded with Greenbacks)
Drive: 8
Bass: 4
Mid: 7
Treb: 8
Pres: 8.5
Rev: 0
i usually roll down the volume on the guitar to get a clean sound rather than switching to the clean channel

but when i do use the clean channel,
Bass: 4
Mid: 8
Treb: 7
Rev: 1.5
Pres: off

edit: my reverb had acted strange when i was trying out some different tubes but it stopped after i put the original tube back in the V4 position

Last edited by goodwill559; 07-16-2005 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added reverb comment
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:57 AM

theres vai's settings on carvin's website, I'll find the link and give it to you...in the morning if noone else has by then its 1 in morning here, got to go to bed haha I'm out
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Carvin Legacy combo settings

i already have the vai settings but it doesn't tell if that darn pres. button is on. And i also use the clean channel for my stomp boxes so i don't know if those vai settings on the site are what he uses with all his effects or just the amp itself,.. get me? I'm sure those settings were without any effects (besides that delay) from the sound clip. And sometimes it seems like without the pres. button on that the amp sounds too muddy or not enough highs unless i turn the treb almost all the way up. I wonder it this has to do with tubes? also another question,...does everyone's delay pedal get way too loud on the drive channel when running through the front of the amp?? and also my effects loop makes my distortion sounds undistorted and very very loud. so i am forced to use the front end instead of the loop which in turn means unless i run just the delay through the loop and my pedals through the front end, well it means i can't use my drive channel on the amp unless i turn off the delay first(no fun) HELP!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 06:06 AM

I don't know about your loop,but you seem to know time based fx like delay go through the fx loop.But for amp settings...Mine constantly change.Some days the amp is kinda fizzy and somedays it's just crazy good,so who really knows?Maybe that's just me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

yea i know what you mean, i guess you just can't run distortions through the loop, i just hate to think that i am gonna have to have my pedal board going through the loop and through the front end.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen98
i already have the vai settings but it doesn't tell if that darn pres. button is on. And i also use the clean channel for my stomp boxes so i don't know if those vai settings on the site are what he uses with all his effects or just the amp itself,.. get me? I'm sure those settings were without any effects (besides that delay) from the sound clip. And sometimes it seems like without the pres. button on that the amp sounds too muddy or not enough highs unless i turn the treb almost all the way up. I wonder it this has to do with tubes? also another question,...does everyone's delay pedal get way too loud on the drive channel when running through the front of the amp?? and also my effects loop makes my distortion sounds undistorted and very very loud. so i am forced to use the front end instead of the loop which in turn means unless i run just the delay through the loop and my pedals through the front end, well it means i can't use my drive channel on the amp unless i turn off the delay first(no fun) HELP!!
it says at the bottom of that page that these setting are run through his rake and pedals etc... so i dont know if those setting will help at all!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Usually you want to run wah and distortion through the front of the amp and any time based effects (delay, phase, chorus, etc.) through the loop.

That is if you want to use the amps 'dirty' sounds with those effects. If you're ONLY using a pedal for distortion/lead and NEVER use the dirty channel on the amp, then you can run all of it in front. Usually running time effects through the front of the amp on it's dirty channel will give you odd sounds, and with delay you'll have a distorted primary, then progressivly cleaner repeats and that simply sounds un-natural.

But to each his own, really. Some people like the sound of a distorted chorus, as opposed to a chorused distortion so it's all to taste.

I don't own a Legacy but I love the tone Vai played through the demo for the Legacy, even taking into account the crappy mp3 compresson, so if you can find out what settings he used for that . . .

Mic

Edited for idiotic spelling errors . . .

Last edited by MicJustMic; 07-17-2005 at 09:09 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Carvin Legacy combo settings

thanks i guess i learned something new,...i figured something was wrong with my amp because you see everyone with pedal boards out there playing and i thought they were using different channels on the amp too,,but if they were then they had to be going half through the loop and the other half of the pedals through the front end. thanks alot. I'm still looking for somebody with a setup similar to mine,..i know someone out there has to have that setup. I'd like to know what they think of that pres. button on or off and the settings on the amp.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
thanks i guess i learned something new,...i figured something was wrong with my amp because you see everyone with pedal boards out there playing and i thought they were using different channels on the amp too,,but if they were then they had to be going half through the loop and the other half of the pedals through the front end. thanks alot. I'm still looking for somebody with a setup similar to mine,..i know someone out there has to have that setup. I'd like to know what they think of that pres. button on or off and the settings on the amp.
It's all a matter of taste. Some people like a brighter sound and will peg their presence knob and/or treble, while some prefer a warmer sound and will either cut the presence all the way or most of the way, and/or turn down the treble.

Play with the knobs (I like playing with knobs) until you find a tone that you like. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing, least of all what your favorite guitar players are doing. It may seem cool to be able to get a tone that's close to Vai, or Satch, or whomever you like, but then your tone isn't really your tone, it's a bad copy of someone else's tone.

And you don't want that . . .

You want a tone that's you, plain and simple. Don't copy, don't worry, just "Shut up and play yer guitar," in the words of the late, great Frank Zappa.

Mic
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Carvin Legacy combo settings

it makes since,..i'm just a helpless tone freak,..but that is what it all boils down to,...i need to just play the damn thing!! thanks
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 AM

I have a question -

Aside from Steves' settings and all that nonsense...

What are your IMPRESSIONS of the Legacy Combo? Likey or no likey?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Carvin Legacy combo settings

i went from a fender deville to a carvin legacy so the deville was way to bluesy and the legacy so far has been a great amp to me, its more rockish, but its very loud(even at 50 watts) so unless you plan on gigging alot or playing somehwhere were volume doesn't matter then it might be too much..and also its very heavy. I don't get why they make them with soo much power nowadays, everyone always mics the amps anyway. If they made like a 25 watt legacy it would be awesome,..you could get the tubes up and going and it would probably sound awesome. But all and all its been a great amp!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
i went from a fender deville to a carvin legacy so the deville was way to bluesy and the legacy so far has been a great amp to me, its more rockish, but its very loud(even at 50 watts) so unless you plan on gigging alot or playing somehwhere were volume doesn't matter then it might be too much..and also its very heavy. I don't get why they make them with soo much power nowadays, everyone always mics the amps anyway. If they made like a 25 watt legacy it would be awesome,..you could get the tubes up and going and it would probably sound awesome. But all and all its been a great amp!!
I agree, I had a Fender Super 60, one of the best amps I've ever played through (I just left it on dirty, not much gain) but it was so damned HEAVY!

When I worked for Paul Plumeri (google search him) he used two Fender Princetons, I think they were a whopping 12 watts each and we always had club owners telling us to turn him DOWN, so the idea of 50 or 100 watts for someone that's not playing in a HUGE venue is insane. Even then, that's what microphones and monitors are for.

Most people don't realize this since he used huge Marshals on stage, but Jimmy Paige used very small, low power amps in the studio, and they always sounded huge . . .

And who needs a 300 (or is it 350? I'm not much for Marshals) watt guitar amp? Yikes! You don't want to keep your hearing very long, do you?

Mic

Tags
amp settings , boss chorus , delay pedal , fender princeton , frank zappa , guitar players , ibanez jpm , les paul , pedal board , power amp , power amps , stomp box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode