Carvin Legacy - Gain - YOUR sound clips? :) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Carvin Legacy - Gain - YOUR sound clips? :)

Hi all, please don't groan with another "Oh ffs not another 'Should i buy a Carvin Legacy thread'"

I've read reviews and information about this amp on just about every reputable site on the net and i know the best information anyone could give someone interested in buying any model of guitar amp would be to try one first but as there's unfortunately not many Carvin dealers in the UK this becomes very difficult.

Could the people on the board who own a Carvin Legacy (preferable those with a Head and Cab setup) make some very brief recordings (or more indepth if you like ) of their Legacy without any distortion pedals at all?

The thing is i've heard a lot about the amp not having enough gain for some, and i'd like to hear the max amount of gain you can get out of this amp before it becomes necessary to start using pedals.

Any recordings would be excelllent and please don't tell me to go and listen to Km-Pee-Du-Wee

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 AM

Re: Carvin Legacy - Gain - YOUR sound clips? :)

I bought a combo about a year ago and soon after sold it. The amp is LOUD, seriously. I think that if you are going to be playing a lot of gigs and want a cheap, reliable, LOUD amp than it is right up your alley. But if you are playing at home I would say go for a better sounding quiter amp. I got a Marshall TSL601 with custom white tolex from WildWestGuitars and never looked back.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I'll be playing at home using my racksetup through a small PA for the most part and would leave the Legacy in an outdoor guitar teaching room i'm researching erecting (oo-er) which i'll hopefully soundproof so volume won't be an issue, i'm looking into getting an attenuator for the amp too.

What did you think of the amp's gain anyway? I've found a clip on the net just now of someone using one without any other OD pedals and it sounded like it had plenty distortion.

Do you think these people who say it doesn't have enough distortion are either a) Sloppy and want loads of distortion to cover up mistakes or b) don't use a compressor so don't know how to get any sustain or c) both? lol.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion
Do you think these people who say it doesn't have enough distortion are either a) Sloppy and want loads of distortion to cover up mistakes or b) don't use a compressor so don't know how to get any sustain or c) both? lol.
i agree with a)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 02:40 PM

There's more than enough gain in the amp. I keep mine around 7 and I actually think that might be too much.
I think a lot of people are put off by the fact that the mid knob basically does nothing on the amp. And, since the amp is mid heavy and you can hear the notes clearly, they think that the amp sucks.

Last edited by Minsc; 10-03-2005 at 02:43 PM. Reason: grammar
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Found this:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me...11378_proj.mp3

I'm getting more and more convinced!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:07 PM

The Legacy has plenty of "distortion". By this I mean basic gain and sustain, not really the mid-scooped high treble/bass chainsaw metal squeal. Its just very good for the straightforward hard rock sound. Like, how much gain or distortion do you really need? I think most people overdo it myself, maybe your points (a) & (b) describes this.

I agree with minsc, "7" is about right for gain, any more the Legacy sounds over saturated, I keep it around 5-6. I find that you don't really need a pedal boost, although I am playing with a Keeley mod Boss MT-2 just to try and have all bases covered. BTW, on the combo, you can take the back cover off and let it breathe. It makes a fairly dramatic change to the sound with a lot of mids dropping. I'm limited on time at the moment but I'd like to record and post some clips, do this as soon as I can.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion
Found this:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me...11378_proj.mp3

I'm getting more and more convinced!

Wow! That is a killer soundclip, and it is totally the Legacy sound. However, It doesnt' give you a good idea of how chunky (or not chunky) it is for rythm playing. I think Vai's in an Ultra World album will give you a good idea of the where you can go with this amp.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 AM

Talking Re: Carvin Legacy - Gain - YOUR sound clips? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrie
Wow! That is a killer soundclip, and it is totally the Legacy sound. However, It doesnt' give you a good idea of how chunky (or not chunky) it is for rythm playing. I think Vai's in an Ultra World album will give you a good idea of the where you can go with this amp.
Or just listen to K'm Pee De Wee.......sorry couldn't resist.

Tags
distortion pedal , keeley mod , marshall tsl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode