Carvin Legacy Questions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Carvin Legacy Questions

Hey Guys, I was wondering what you guys think of Carvin amps. My buddy brought his over here to my house last night. He wants me to sell it for him. I have quite a few high dollar amps. I have a Mesa Mark IV stack, a Mesa Roadster combo, a Laney TT100 2x12 combo and a Rivera S-120. All of these amps cost ALOT of money. I have to say, this Carvin sounds as good as any of them( maybe not the Mark IV). I am surprised at the cost of these Carvins. He wants me to sell it for 600 bucks, but to tell you the truth, I might give him the money and sell off some of my other ones. I was just wondering if there are downsides to the Carvins. It is by far the best sounding amp I have ever heard for that price. The Mark IV sounds a little better, but not for the price difference. This sounds great clean or dirty. I am very impressed with it(as you can tell). Oh, by the way, it is a Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo. What do you guys think? As much as I hate to say this, it makes my $2300.00 Mesa Roadster sound like ****!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM

Re: Carvin Legacy Questions

$600 is a pretty fair price for the 2x12 combo. The Mesa's are voiced very differently than the Legacy, which you obviously know. Go with whatever gives you the best tone you're after. I have a Legacy 2x12 also, couldn't be happier. I'm guessing Mesa isn't exactly the sound you're after? The Mark IV is a great amp, I've been wanting to try the Roadster but haven't come across one yet. You do seem happy with the Carvin, play around with it for a little longer. It's a great amp. I sure as hell couldn't pass up the Legacy when I finally had a chance to sit with one. Passed up a Mesa DC-5 for the Legacy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 PM

The Legacy may be the best 2 channel rock amp available for the money.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 10:18 AM

Well now I've got to hear a Legacy in person! I bought the Roadster earlier this year and I'm in love with it. BUT, I've always loved the Mesa sound and the versatility of the Roadster with 4 channels and 3 gain selections for each just does it for me. I can't see the Legacy replacing my Roadster, but it's starting to sound like it would be a nice second amp to have....especially if they come out with the 3 channel Legacy that Vai was talking about.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjem View Post
Well now I've got to hear a Legacy in person!
I tried one out for the 10 day trial period. I sent it back as it wasn't the amp for me. Not enough *umph-distortion* on the dirty channels. It's LOUD as heck and you'll need an attenuator to play in a house/apt/practice setting. Otherwise you cannot get the volume over 2 or 3!! No sh*t

On the other hand, the clean channel is one of the most brilliant I've heard. Awesome! I'm sure if you have to whole rack setup going, you could make the dirty channels sound good (Vai'ish tone) but I'd rather stick with me trusty Marshall's

(all just IMHO )
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 PM

Have the half stack and the 212 (well sold the 212 recently) and a BelAir all three are fantastic amps... not too bad at bedroom levels but shines like the sun at gig volumes... sold the Legacy 212 cause its just too damn heavy for me to take to small gigs and practices and the half stack is in storage...

Really want to try out a V3! but its one heavy bastard...

Carvins are great!!!!

Steve

Tags
mesa mark , rack setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode