carvin legacy for solo's, triaxis for rhythmy crunch! - is t - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

carvin legacy for solo's, triaxis for rhythmy crunch! - is t

Perhaps this is a silly quesiton. *My dream rig is a legacy for guitar solo's, but a mesa boogie triaxis for 'balls' and heavy riffs. *The best of both worlds I guess!
Since I've never actually seen either of these beasts, I'm not sure If they can be set up together in one functional guitar rig. *I suppose you would set it up so the the triaxis would kick in on the carvins clean sound to get the triaxis crunch? *For some reason I think a set up like this might be a little difficult to achieve.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 05:12 AM

carvin legacy for solo's, triaxis for rhythmy crunch!

I'm not sure if this is real easy to do. For one you do not want to put a triaxis in the input of any guitar amp, the result will most likly be not so good. Guitar level inputs do not like line level. Now if the carvin has a effects loop that can be taken in and out of the signal path you can plug the triaxis in *to the return of the loop. This will give you carvin loop off triaxis loop on. *Or if you have the money to blow you can buy a power amp for the triaxis and use a amp switcher like the one that custom audio electronics makes. It's possible but maybe not cheap.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 06:16 AM

It is possible to do, but it will require a switching system. To do this you'll need to look at the triaxis and the legacy as follows (assuming you want to use the legacy power stage):

triaxis input -> stereo out : One full preamp * * -> connect out to poweramp in
legacy input -> FX loop send : One full preamp -> connect out to poweramp in

legacy FX return: power amp input.

Consequently, you'll need a switching system to select either "preamp". Cascading one after the other is not going to really do your sound any favours, but it is possible, and shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

James
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 11:02 AM

If you haven't seen either of them, how do you know you want it? *You might play the Legacy and think it sucks, or you might like it but hate how the Triaxis sounds through the Legacy.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

yes that is very true. *well, the reason why is because I love metallica, but i hate the way there guitar solos sound. *I like Vai's solo sound, but I think the legacy could use more kick to it at times (from listening to vai). *that warm lead wouldn't be what I want for crunch.
Anyway, u have a good point, I'm just dreaming anyway. *I'm still open to ideas if anyone has em!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 07:54 PM

I ran a Marshall and a Legacy together at the same time. The strong mid tones on the Legacy made it sing out louder on single notes. The buzzy crunch of the Marshall dominated on chords. It was almost as though there was an invisible person controlling the gain on the amps. No fancy switches involved.

I donít know if it would work that way with the Triaxis. Just thought Iíd share.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 11:43 PM

If I were you I would probably end up buying both just because I could. I have that sort of problem. Anyways, being a Legacy owner I would suggest buying the Legacy and experimenting with it. I just today found a great lead/crunch sound that I really like for applications and I have had it for almost a year. That way you would not have to buy a preamp(Triaxis), poweramp, and speaker cabinet. Don't know how helpful that was but just thought I would add a suggestion.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 01:38 AM

there's a lot more to it than the amps! if you get the mesa or the legacy, they won't sound the same because of different guitars, mics, studio effects, boards....
just my 0.02
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 11:09 AM

Actually, I've kinda pondered a similiar setup myself. Lately, I've opted out on amps, just 'cause the modeling units are so good nowadays, and it's really easy to go direct. Saves hassle, easier to tote. Sure, I know some are amp purists, and I respect that. After all, they set the standard. So, with that in mind, both sound like great choices. The Legacy excels for leads, with midrangey, buttery tone, it has a'plenty. But Mesa has some killer rythym crunch. How about a setup like this... (expensive, but if yer dreaming, dream big!)

1. Guitar into A/B/Y box...
*a. goes into triaxis preamp, into SimulClass 2:90 (or something similar) stereo power amp---
* *into right and left 2x12 or 4x12 cabs (spaced wide for stereo field), or a single 4x12 in stereo.
*b. goes into Legacy amp, placed center, for mono
*c. both outputs activated, for full surround sound! lol!

I'd bet it'd sound great, and you'd have a whompa killer system on your hands. Have fun!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 12:27 PM

I'm still not convinced on the Triaxis. *I used to think it was the best stuff you could get, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like it's just a big ripoff. *For a beat up used one you're looking at $700, for a preamp. *That's all it is, a preamp. *To sound good it will need a cranked power section, so what do you get at that point?

My recommendation, THD Univalve for leads. *It will do hard rock, but it won't do metal rhythm. *You can use any power tube ever made in it, and the built in hot plate lets you run the thing cookin' especially since it's master volume and that's the only way to get gain. *To me the tone for leads with the supplied EL34 is great and it will only set you back $750 for a new one. *

For rhythm, I really don't know... *Sometimes I think I like Mesa rhythm sounds, but I'm still not sure. *I think I might like Marshall better now... *I think it's best to have both so then depending on what sound you want you can switch back and forth.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

that is interesting. *I have a jmp1 that I use right now too. *Maybe I could hook all 3 of em up!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 07:11 PM

Yeah go for it! *Even though the JMP 1 gets dinged all the time for not being "all-tube" it has been used with great success by a large number of people. *It's a much better value than Triaxis, you can get a brand new one for the cost of a 10 year old beat up used Triaxis.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 02:24 AM

Reviews: 1

Truth be told, I think you should be able to get EVEREY sound you need out of the Tri.
After going through many brands of preamps the tri is as flexible as any other if not more in some respects. *The voicing control is a preset EQ that is preset by boogie, but it can be custom tailored to suit your playing style if it is THAT discernable to you. I run a Tri into a 2/95 Boogie power amp tha sounds killer, the tri can duplicate all the ballsy Recto chunk as well as the Mk IIc+ lead tones, you should try one before going with multiple amp setups. Allot can be achieved just by using some patience and time spent programming the patches properly.

my 1/50

Bamm

Tags
amp input , boogie triaxis , mesa boogie , mesa boogie triaxis , power amp , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode