Carvin MTS Combo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Carvin MTS Combo

Does anyone have extensive experience with it? I have played a used one, and was quite impressed with it, considering the price.

I have been going back and forth in my mind for months now (ever since I sold my L6 Flextone XL) about whether to go simple (combo and pedals) or go rack, which I miss.

And with the Line6 POD XT PRO coming out, that made me think even more.

But the more I think about it, the more I think I like the simplicity of:

Guitar (Ibanez, Ibanez, and Ibanez) ----> Boss DS1---->MTS3212 combo with a DD5 and a chorus of some sort in the loop.

Nice and simple, with tube warmth.

Any comments either way?

I just can't get used to the idea of lugging around multiple pieces again just to go jam.

I could have sworn there were a couple folks here that have or had the Carvin, so I was hoping I could get some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:14 AM

There was someone here who used them a while back, can't remember who it was....but I do remember that they liked it a lot.

Speaking of simplifying your setup...I did the same thing you are describing and I am much happier as a result. Had an eight space rack crammed with gear, full midi switching, it was a great setup but just a bear to haul around and too complex for what I really needed. Now I've got a modified Marshall TSL head, run an analog chorus and DL4 in the loop, into a THD hotplate and a boogie 2x12 with V30s. I can carry everything and my guitars in two trips. I am looking for a lighter cabinet though, the boogie is like 85 lbs or so and I really getting sick of it.

Obviously this is a much simpler set up but it also sounds much better than my rack did...maybe I didn't take the time to really tweak the rack stuff to its full potential, but again, I needed simple stuff that sounds good.

Another combo to check out is the Koch brand. There is a cover band that plays here and the guy uses one of these with a PRS and it sounds really really thick and cuts through nicely. Great lead and crunch tones and a good clean too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:00 PM

I agree with gresch. i think youll be much happier when you simplify. I used to use racks and switchers/loopers. Now for my cover rig I have a wah, an overdrive, a guitar and an amp. Im very much happier for it.

Gresch- Did you ever consider a Bogner 1x12 cube? Our sound guys carry our 4x12's, but for smaller gigs and my own use I went through a carvin legacy 2x12, a mesa 2x12 and 1x12, and a THD 2x12 (best soudning cab Ive ever owned!!!!). They were all too heavy (Im a baby) and/or didnt have the exact sound I wanted. When I got the bogner cube it was the first time I played a small cab with the projection, punch and bass!!! of a 4x12. It was alot tighter and more focused then a 4x12 so it didnt have that large, loose and warm quality of a 4x12, and not nearly as loud, but it was very nice.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

The thought I really hate about a rackmount system is the friggin midi crap. I hate midi when it comes to guitar rigs.

It's fine for home studio stuff, and that's about it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:38 AM

Dont get me wrong. Using a CAE RS10 MIDI switcher is really great for switching in and out both rack effects and pedals racked in a pedal drawer. Its just a little too much luggage for what Im doing now. Ill save it for my world tour.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 02:08 PM

Dan, I've never tried any 1x12 cabs, I guess I've just always assumed they couldn't possibly sound good or push enough air. The THD 2x12 is actually the one I'm seriously considering. It's about half the weight of the Boogie, but it's nearly double the price too. I was quoted around $700 for one, if they can get one in. My boogie is just too freakin heavy and it sounds a little too tubby for my tastes. My Marshall is pretty heavy in the mids as it is, and this cabinet just magnifies that a little too much.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 03:07 PM

The Bogner site isnt kidding, Mic'd up the 1x12 cube sounds just like a 4x12. Its got the punch and the projection, just not the all around volume.

I have a Bogner 4x12 and a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks. The Marhsall is the one I use rebularly but I would never carry it myself. If I could, Id use both of my 4x12's the cube and the THD cab. That is my favorite sounding cab by far. I dont know what it is but if youve never tried one, my guess is your gonna like it alot. Its very close sonically to my Bogner 4x12. A bit more unique though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:17 PM

The lead vocalist / 2nd guitarist in my band uses a Carvin MTS 100w head into a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. He gets a great tone from it. He used to have the combo, but we found the closed back of the Marshall cab to have a tighter sound with loads more bottom end. He sold the combo and bought the head and cab.

That would be my suggestion over the combo.

Don't get me wrong though, the 2x12 combo is definitely one of the best bang for the buck amps around.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:21 PM

How does the MTS compare sound-wise to the Legacy? The Legacy sounds kind of brittle and vintage in my opinion...is this how the MTS sounds?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:31 PM

To my ears, the MTS head sounds like a hot rodded JCM800 using the crunch channel and like a Mesa Mark IV in the clean channel.

The clean channel of the MTS combo sounds better than any Fender Twin Reverb I've ever tried.

Just my opinion.... your mileage may vary.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamJem7
To my ears, the MTS head sounds like a hot rodded JCM800 using the crunch channel and like a Mesa Mark IV in the clean channel.

The clean channel of the MTS combo sounds better than any Fender Twin Reverb I've ever tried.

Just my opinion.... your mileage may vary.
It's strange, but they sound different, yet supposedly their wiring schematics are quite similar to each other.

I also found that Voodoo Amps mods them as well, so that would be cool to send it to them and modify it even further to my liking.

I am going out to Vegas next month, and we may take a road trip to Cali for a couple days. If we do, I am surely going to swing by the Carvin store.

It seems too good to be true, a 2x12 100w tube combo for $700.

I agree about that clean channel, it's warm yet clean, way better than any Fender I've played, save maybe the '59 Bassman reissue.

Tags
fender twin , fender twin reverb , marshall tsl , mesa mark , space rack , thd hotplate , tube combo , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode