Carvin MTS Master Tube Series - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Carvin MTS Master Tube Series

Ok I ordered the 2x12 version and its in route to me, According to the tracking number it will be here monday..

I really liked the fact that I read 1000s of reviews and out of those 1000s only found a few that didnt like it.

Now I have talked to Carvin multiple times and I have weighed alot of options before I bought it.. THE MOST IMPORTANT WAS I DIDNT WANT USED

I prefer the sound of 5881/6L6 tubes which the Carvin has 5881s, The amp had to be under $850 shipped, I wanted the ability to tone it down a bit, which the Carvin has a 50/100 power switch. I wanted Celestion speakers which the Carvin is equipped with GT12-75s. I wanted the ability to add a matching 2x12 cab if needed which you guessed it the Carvin does.

I was wondering what everyones opinions of this amp is. One Carvin rep said the best way to describe it is "A Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier married to a Boutique amp, and this is the child"

Any MTS users on the board?

Also I ordered the TC Electronics G-Major for my processing which will be here Wednesday.. I know from other forum users this was the right choice

I looked and I scoured the internet for Amps in the price range with the features I wanted and Carvin is the only one to fit the bill..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Re: Carvin MTS Master Tube Series

I find the Carvin reps assessment interesting, since they refer to it as a "JCM 800" sound, in the catalog. Someone's mighty stupid, there, since a Dual Rec, and a JCM 800 sound nowhere NEAR alike. I will be real curious of your opinion of this amp, as this was one of the amps (head version) that I was looking into, partly because it was described as sounding like a JCM 800.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

we shall see.. if you listen to the soundclips the distortion channel is very heavy sounding nothing like a JCM to me at least.. But im no marshall expert but my friends JCM800 sounds nothing like that.

http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/rooms/MTS412/mts412.php

Either way im sure I will be happy since im more of a Rhythm player than a lead player.. I want a nice chunky heavy sounding tone.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:52 PM

I had the head version. I ran it through a 2x12 with Celestion vintage 30. It didn't sound like a Mesa. Mine had Mesa 6L6's. The clean channel was awesome. I was disappointed with the dirty channel. It didn't have enough gain.

I switched to EL34 because I wanted more of the Marshall sound. One good feature of the MTS is the bias switch, which allows you to switch between 5881/6L6 to EL34 without rebias.

Overall, it is a good amp with a lot of features. I just wish it had more gain. I sold it and got a real Marhsall.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 PM

I look forward to your review.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Did you sell your crate?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

I took it back to GC on the 30 day return

oh and JJ0389 you cant just swap tubes and flick a switch and call it a day, you still have to adjust the internal bias as well as the rear switch.. Its not a self biasing amp. Maybe thats why it didnt sound good to you?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 09:38 PM

I'd agree. If you have to re-bias, and you didn't, it may not sound quite up to snuff.

I can't wait to hear your review, too. I know the soundbytes didn't sound JCM 800-like, but I rarely follow just the soundbytes, so your assessment should prove interesting.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 PM

I wouldn't trust the sound bits. You have to play through your gears to hear the true tone.

I was on the Carvin board and we discussed the bias issue a lot. I even took it to an Amp tech here in Hollywood, CA. He said the bias was fine. Like I said, the amp sounded fine. My only complaint was not enough gain.

Tags
boogie dual rectifier , celestion vintage , dual rectifier , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode