Celestion Century/Vintage Neodymiums - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Celestion Century/Vintage Neodymiums

Just wondering if anybody's tried these speakers yet? They're supposed to be based on Classic Lead 80's and Vintage 30's with different magnets that are much lighter, more powerful, and generally quicker to respond.

I was thinking about ordering a couple 4x12's from Avatar (one with V30's and one with CL80's), then the Neodymiums caught my eye. They're a lot more expensive, but could be worth it if it could shave 20lbs off a 4x12.

--B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Gex

Re: Celestion Century/Vintage Neodymiums

Those are wicked expensive, I never considered them until now, because I just thought of the possiblities of a lightweight cab. . . .hmm.

Im just afraid I would like it too much, then I'd want nothing but neodymiums, which would be an expensive whim to satisfy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the more I think about it, it's really hard to justify that much additional cost. Two 4x12's loaded with V30's and CL80's would be $830-880, and two 4x12's loaded with the equivalent Neo's would be $1510. For that much of a premium, I can't imagine it being worth it to shave 20lbs off each cab. Esp. since the Neo's sound different (not necessarily better) than the V30's and CL80's, which are proven entities.

Given how infrequently my band plays, it would be a better deal for me to go with the V30's and CL80's, save $700, and use that money to bribe people to haul my cabs around for me.

--B
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:03 PM

Somehow I doubt they even sound as good as V30s or Classic Leads too, but maybe better, but I doubt it.

I can lift a few extra pounds to save $20 (helps keep me in shape!), and as you said the difference is more like a few hundred (the Century models are about twice of a standard speaker!).

Both the Classic Leads and V30s are excellent speakers - two of my favorites. You can't go wrong with either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode