Changed my mind about modelling amps(sorta) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Changed my mind about modelling amps(sorta)

Okay, so I've been GASing for this to come out since January of 2002 when they released the info at NAMM. Laney USA was screwing around with shipments(ie, they have like nothing in stock, and don't seem to want to get stuff from England).. So. I cancelled my Laney order and wondered what to get..

I decided on Tech 21, the Trademark 300 head. I love it. 3 channels, each with one of 3 amp-styles, gain, and active tone controls. Dual efx loops(one series, one parallel), a varable boost(up to 9db), all foot-switchable.. Even has a Sansamp Cab-emulated XLR out, with ground lift and db pad switches.

The thing rocks, there's no digital proccessor, so it changes channels instantly(something I hate about modelling gear), and sounds great.. It's not an exact copy of any of the amps it emulates, and the tweed breakup leaves something to be desired, but for death and thrash metal it's very nice.

If anyone wondered what a Trademark 10 would sound like in a head format, this is it. Only thing it's missing is on-board reverb, but I bought a Digitech Digiverb pedal to solve that.. I'm sorta hyped up atm, if you can't tell.

Here's a pic of my new rig: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...postid=5113186
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 04:29 AM

Tech21 make great stuff....I've used the PSA-1 a lot and I was pleased with some of the recorded tones I got out of it.

But my favorite modelling amps are Yamaha DG amps and the Vox Valvetronix....still debating which one to get.

I'll still be using my Laneys when I'm playing live though
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 05:15 AM

The thing that put the Tech21 gear on a different level compared to Line6, Behringer and others is the fact that they're 100% analogue, no AD/DA conversion anywhere! I also love the fact that they don't feel the need to have a ****load of crappy effects that are totally useless.
I used to have a PSA-1 and loved it. I had to sell it though to finance the purchase of a CAE3+SE (best sounding preamp ever?).

That said, I'd love to see a rackmount preamp with the amp models of the Vetta but without the effects. It would be great to get some guitar tracks down on tape quick and easy.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
The thing that put the Tech21 gear on a different level compared to Line6, Behringer and others is the fact that they're 100% analogue, no AD/DA conversion anywhere! I also love the fact that they don't feel the need to have a ****load of crappy effects that are totally useless.
I used to have a PSA-1 and loved it. I had to sell it though to finance the purchase of a CAE3+SE (best sounding preamp ever?).

That said, I'd love to see a rackmount preamp with the amp models of the Vetta but without the effects. It would be great to get some guitar tracks down on tape quick and easy.
I agree that Tech21 has the best modeling I've heard yet. But I also believe that analog isn't intrinsically better. A few more years and the digital ones will have it nailed. Thay're pretty close already, IMO.

Tags
thrash metal , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode