cheap and good recording studio - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

cheap and good recording studio

I`m wondering if I`m going to buy a little recording studio I can have at home, but I don`t know **** about those things..

So can you help me out here and tell me whats good and cheap?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
I would recommend a 4 track self-contained unit like Tascam offers to start. It's easy to operate and gives you basic multi-tracking capabilities. If you're a computer geek there are some great options from Cubase and others. You need to do some research here. Your topic os so vast, it's hard to find a place to start - get some professional help.
Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

thanx
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 03:04 AM

You might be better off looking around at something like ProTools free if your computer can handle it, or another cheap computer platform. Sure there might be a bit of a learning curve, but its not that hard. Also, you'll most likely end up going there down the road, so why not just start there. There are lots of cheap computer based recording solutions, that will end up costing you around the same, if not less than a 4 track anyway.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 05:16 PM

Computer + Pod = recording package, easy7 once you've gotten past the learning curve, and allows you to use up loads of tracks. Apart from that, a digital 8track or the like or something second hand if you want something non-computer based. Still, the POD is usefull.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 07:08 PM

The Echo Mia is a very useful soundcard and runs for around $180...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM

i use a PoD and a four track and it suits me fine at the moment, its best to start at the shallow end and learn about what you want to record and how it all works, a freind of mine loads all my stuff into Cubase and mixes it, adds drums ect... im just starting to upgrade now but i suggest only buying one piece of kit at a time, ive seen people buy a whole studio and lose themselves completely!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 07:50 PM

I have the Line 6 Pod, and what I find is that when you add other pedals (eg: Going from Guitar into whammy, into the pod, then into the computer), the signal reduces quite a lot -- the volume goes down a hell of a lot. What would be the best way to record onto computer using additional pedals?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_at2001
... the volume goes down a hell of a lot. What would be the best way to record onto computer using additional pedals?
Mic your amp. The Sennheiser e609 Silver is $99 new, and is a good amp mic. I've also used the Oktava MK319 (requires phantom power) with good results, but that is a bit more suited to vox and acoustics.

-Ben
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 05:26 PM

Pod and Boss Br8
cheap and simple
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:09 PM

Get an Audiophile 2496, a Shure SM57, Cubase SL and a reasonable synth (edirol, yamaha whatever).. you're on! For the late night silent recordings get a V-Amp.. dunno!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode