Cheap metal amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Cheap metal amp

Hey i'm looking around for a cheap amp that can do metal but is also loud enough for drummers and small gigs and around the AU$550 ish mark, (roughly half that for $US) ...Any suggestions?
I've tried out a few 30 watters (solid state) such as the Hughs and kettner EB30 and the roland crate...Both great little amps for around the price i'm after, but i dont think they'd be loud enough......

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 10:37 AM

Re: Cheap metal amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onis
Hey i'm looking around for a cheap amp that can do metal but is also loud enough for drummers and small gigs and around the AU$550 ish mark, (roughly half that for $US) ...Any suggestions?
I've tried out a few 30 watters (solid state) such as the Hughs and kettner EB30 and the roland crate...Both great little amps for around the price i'm after, but i dont think they'd be loud enough......

Any ideas?
Carvin's SX50 rocks, but you have to buy direct, and I dunno how much that would be.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 11:04 AM

I think you'll need at least 50-60 watts. I know my little Line6 60-watt, 1x12 combo is plenty loud enough to drown out a drumkit, and fill a large auditorium, and that's with the master volume at 5. (and keep in mind, if it's not loud enough, you can always mike it through the PA, so just find something that sounds good)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 11:42 AM

I second for the H&K stuff. Im not a big fan of H&K amps, but the sounds they'll give for the price is decent. The new Peavey XXl and XXX seem to be pretty popular for budget metal.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 05:08 PM

Crate Blue Voodoo is metal and cheap!
Greg
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 02:04 AM

Re:

don't care what people say, crate makes THE bedroom metal practice amps. can't vouch for the blue voodoo tone, but people badmouth crate for no reason other than it's popular.

colin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 02:07 PM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocebo
don't care what people say, crate makes THE bedroom metal practice amps. can't vouch for the blue voodoo tone, but people badmouth crate for no reason other than it's popular.

colin
... and inexpensive. They're definately decent amps.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 05:01 PM

Marshall MG100DFX.... well, probably not the greatest, but I'm happy enough with it for the time being, so I figured I'd say that

Tags
blue voodoo , crate blue voodoo , peavey xxl , practice amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode