cheap power amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

cheap power amp

I'm kind of looking for a cheap power amp to probably mate with a ada mp-1. I'm really not looking for anything amazing right now just something cheap that will get the job done. So far I've read some about the rocktron velocity 120 and the carvin dcm150, any preferences out of those two or maybe other amps I should consider? I'm going used probably as I would like to stay under $200 for the power amp and the lower the better at that. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:30 PM

Re: cheap power amp

Get a TubeWorks Mosvalve - you can grab one for sgnificantly less than $200 (at least that's what the last two sold here went for, one of them being mine now). Not made anymore, but there are plenty in the second-hand market and they sound very good.

Maybe you can find an inexpensive Peavey Classic if you want tubes. They will probably be at least 300sh though.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 PM

I've seen quite a few Peavey Classics for under 3 bills lately... they're underrated and often overlooked. Also, the Carvin T100 is a good deal if you want to go all tube.

On the SS front, agree that the Tubeworks stuff is good tone for the money.

I'd avoid the Carvin DCM150, though... it's really designed to be used in a PA system. Better off to find something that's voiced for guitar if your plan is to use it with a preamp like the MP1.

--B
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 AM

check out the behringer ep1500 or the ep2500
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:29 AM

I believe 1500 is discontinued. Just the 500 watt and 2500 watt ones are available now.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

are those berhinger amps voiced for guitars or are they meant more for something like PA's, monitors and such? I know JimmyJ has one in this rig but would like to know if that's what they are really meant for.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:54 AM

It doesnt matter if they are voiced for guitar or PA. Either way, guitar will be fine. PA is just going to power the signal and not colour it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:17 AM

I still don't get how Jimmy hasn't blown out his 4x12 with that power amp. Those PA power amps throw out a hell of a lot more power than guitar amps. Unless he never puts it like above 1 or something.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 AM

yeah we used to use the poweramp for our PA too, worked fine, it has NO preamp and NO eq, jsut like a good poweramp should
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:49 AM

I was just looking at my Mosvalve 962 and thinking of selling it on the bay. Maybe something like $100.00 + shipping. I just have to fire it up & check the pots for noise. It's been sitting for a few years so I'd like to test it before I sell it. It was cleaned out before I put it away. Let me know if your interested.

Andy
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WizardNeck View Post
It doesnt matter if they are voiced for guitar or PA. Either way, guitar will be fine. PA is just going to power the signal and not colour it.
Technically that is correct, but the point of having a good guitar power amp is that it WILL color your tone in a positive way.

One other thing to keep in mind... if you are using a modeling device (Pod, Tonelab, Boss GT, GNX, etc) with built in speaker simuation, it was designed to sound good through a "flat" power amp, like you'd use for a PA system.

But if you're using a dedicated preamp (MP1, Triaxis, JMP1, etc), they are designed to be used with a guitar-oriented power amp. Is it something you can overcome with EQ? Most likely. But you'll most likely be up & running more quickly with a power amp that was designed for guitar. Thus my reco to look at the Peaveys, Carvin T100, Mosvalve, etc.

I've gone through this twice in the past... once when putting my JMP1 rig together and once when putting my RM4 rig together... both times the preamp arrived before the power amp (a Mosvalve for the JMP1, a Carvin TS100 for the RM4) and I tried to fill the void by using a Carvin HT150 power amp. While it technically worked, it just lacked the feel of a power amp desgined for guitar.

--B
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 AM

I just know Im happy with my 31 band EQ.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch View Post
I've seen quite a few Peavey Classics for under 3 bills lately... they're underrated and often overlooked. Also, the Carvin T100 is a good deal if you want to go all tube.

On the SS front, agree that the Tubeworks stuff is good tone for the money.

I'd avoid the Carvin DCM150, though... it's really designed to be used in a PA system. Better off to find something that's voiced for guitar if your plan is to use it with a preamp like the MP1.

--B

That's not true. Folks know the Peavey Classic power amps are good. They still fetch decent money and a lot of folks recommend them. I use a Classic 50/50 with my ADA.

Personally, while the other suggestions are good, if you're on the cheap, consider a Crate Power Block. Normally, I don't care much for Crate stuff, but it functions as a full head or as a power amp. Extremely portable and cheap.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot guys, think i've decided on the mosvalve. Just need to secure one now. I've seen them before but didn't know much about them as this is basicly my first venture into a small rack set up.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:56 PM

i'm selling my tubeworks mosvalve 962... PM me if you're interested

Tags
peavey classic , power amp , power amps , rocktron velocity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode