Cheaper cabinets...best choice H E L P! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Cheaper cabinets...best choice H E L P!

Hallo to all...
Here's the deal..
I have managed to sell everything i owned, concerning guitar, amp etc...although, thats pretty much everything i own!...
In order to built completely new rig...

My new guitar, the most beautifull 7 string , should arrive in a 2-3 weeks..can't wait...!))
So, a guitar problem is solved...

My rig will be based probably something like this...

PREAMP -> Vox 100w solid state power amp -> 4x12 CABINET

PREAMP SECTION- Not a problem, since i almost have made my decision...i am still now 100% sure, but i will probably order L6 XT Live...never tried it, but, i can easily sel it..Hughes Kettner Metal Master tube preamp is still in the game..sounds very good, but then i have to mess with the separate effects section...more money, less flexibility..(a l6 DL4 would probably fit nicely with it, though..)

POWER AMP - Solved...

CABINET...- This is what still bothers me...i can easily buy ok 2x12 cab...with Celestion...but, I WANT a 4x12...so, there are a few options, although raher limited, since i am in Serbia, and more important factor, i am very limited with my budget...
Whats most important for me, concerning this cab, besides the usual things that you expect from a cab, is that it handles 7 string nicely...power handling is not that much of a problem since my power amp is 100 w, although, i guess, the more-the better..cause of a stress caused by 7 string..although, thats just my logic..not sure how true it is in the real life, based on technical-physical knowledge..

So...there is...

Marshall MG 412
300e..from everythiing read on the web, i think that i should stay away from these...!

Randall rx412
270e...Jaguar speakers, 200w power handling...although not sure what these jaguars are..yeah, chinese for sure..but,i had them in my rx75r Randall combo..an ok experience..it handled 7 string with no problems...the sound wass a bit too basy..but i guess thats was also amps fault...also, i am not sure about possible OHM settings of this box...

Vox v412bk
300e...120w of power...custom Vox speakers...8 ohm..

Ibanez is412ca..
300e
Ibanez speakers, 320w power handling (way more tahn i need), 4 ohms (which is very good, cause at that resistance, i can get maximum out of my power amp..)...nice looking.cab..

There is also one more, but too expensive for me at this time..and i am really tired of waiting and collecting money...i am 2 months already without an amp, and i am going crazy!!!
Crate gt412sl..
400e Celestion seventy 80s..320w...also can work at 4 ohms...should be very good box...(and its stupidly cheap in the US!!!)
So, yeah, i am well aware that these are cheap boxes, not best quallity in the world, actually, probably the lessest..(if theres such a word)..although i skiped Behringer..but, i could dial a decent tone even with ,a small Randall combo when i had it, so...i am used to give my best in effort to pull out the max from what i have..
So, i will highly appreciate any info, experience, suggestion concerning the above mentioned cabinets...!Especially Ibanez one...!
(btw...i cannot test the, or something like that, since most of these cabs i should order and wait..cause they are not available at the stores..and even if they are, i dont have even my guitar..nor anything else...this is a blind date rig!)
Thank you very much..

ps: Ibanez is my winning choice for now...and, although, objectivly, that Crate should be my straight forward choice, that 100e difference puts me into deep ****, and my poweramp is anyway just 100w max, so i would feel like throwing my money away by investing in it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:40 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Cheaper cabinets...best choice H E L P!

First of all, I have not tried any of the cabinets that you mention, so I can't exactly review any of them. I can offer a few opinions though. I agree it's probably wise to avoid the Marshall MG412. They're made out of MDF board, instead of solid wood, and they're undersized a bit; about 26 1/2" wide and tall rather than the full-sized 30" Marshall 1960 4x12s (sorry I don't have the metric measurements). So, those are probably best to stay away from if you're opting for a decent amp setup.

I like the look of the Ibanez 4x12 too, and you make a good point about the 320w power handling, BUT the product specs say it's made out of MDF baffle board too. Still, it may be built better than the Marshall, maybe it's not all that bad. If the Ibanez 4x12 were constructed from solid wood, I think it'd be the best or second best choice. But, you might want to do some more research on that cabinet.

The Randall 4x12 looks nice too, and it's solid plywood construction. 200w is double what you need, so your speakers should be able to handle your amp and 7-string playing quite safely. The product specs I'm looking at now say it's wired for 8 ohm mono. The only thing that doesn't look sturdy are the carrying handles, but overall I'd say it's a top contender.

I don't really like the looks of the Vox stuff, but that's only my opinion. The speaker power handling isn't as high as all the others, so you could say it's less versatile in that respect. As a final note, good luck finding what you need. It must be frustrating to find a lot of gear choices in your country.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 AM

If you don't mind some assembely then try Ikea
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:33 AM

Laney also have some cabinets that are not to highly priced. I've not tested them yet - so I can't speak about the quality.

From the ones already mentioned I'd say the Randall is your best option.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Try a Genz Benz, they make a fantastic 2x12.
You can generally pick one up for around $300.00, but if you look hard enough you can get them for around $250.00. You will not be dissapointed with it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 AM

Kustom Quad 412

/thread

Seriously, get this cab.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 11:41 AM

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Those are all pretty crappy to be honest. And ohms have practically no effect on your sound, so you shouldn't factor that into your decision unless you plan on using multiple cabs (in which case 16 ohm would be best). Get a used legacy cab or an avatar

You're making some very bizarre assumptions in here, like that lower ohms gets more out of your cab and that power handling is somehow relevant to how many strings you have
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Avatar without a doubt. I still haven't got around to ordering one yet.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Those are all pretty crappy to be honest. And ohms have practically no effect on your sound, so you shouldn't factor that into your decision unless you plan on using multiple cabs (in which case 16 ohm would be best). Get a used legacy cab or an avatar
If your cabinet is 16 ohms, and your amp is 8 ohms, it is considered a mismatch and will alter your tone (weaker, less bright) and your volume output will weaken as well. That's probably why the OP is being picky about his cabinet ohms rating.

Also, for those of you shouting "AVATAAAAR!", remember they only ship to the continental USA. He's in Europe, so stop suggesting a brand he cannot possibly buy. Sorry to make this post nothing but complaining, but pay attention guys. He has limited choices due to his location.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM

AVATAAAAR!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygian View Post
If your cabinet is 16 ohms, and your amp is 8 ohms, it is considered a mismatch and will alter your tone (weaker, less bright) and your volume output will weaken as well. That's probably why the OP is being picky about his cabinet ohms rating.
Most amps have multiple outs or switchable impedance
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 10:54 PM

Overlooked location, my bad...

That Kustom looks good, or a Carvin, they ship internationally right?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Guys.thank you for the replies..and a good will to help...

Stygian, thank you very much for sending that MF sale info..i tried to reply to you..still, i had some problems sending answer massage...and after that problems with opening whole jemsite!!! could be my browsers fault...anyway, shipping of 4x12 cab from US to here is waaaay to expensive...
Thats why i have tried to list all, more less, of the available brands in here, for small amounts...
My quest still is not over...i was looking at used market..choices limited very very much...prices high..and what can i do with 1960cab in ****ty state...even in that state, it costs about 350 euros...!
Where didi you find that info about Randall rx412..i have searched the whole web...and no info about it...or very concise, to say the least......

No Avatars in here...

I would like a 4 ohm cabinet, caus emy power amp has no multiple outs...and i would like to be able to use its max power..100w...at increased ohmage, max output power is reduced...thats why...

Cionsidering the higher as possible power handling..well, that was for just in case...
Vox actually looks nice to me...but, custom Vox vintage voiced speakers...not too sure how that would work with 7 string modern metal...although, it might be a good cab...
Any more opinions are more than welcome...
international shippings, although available, maybe, would still be too expensive...
thank you all...
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 PM

i use older peavey cabs. the peavey 412m and 412ms...not the old ones, the ones available when the 5150 was around. the triangle ones. the new supreme ones are good and cheap. my other guitar player uses them and they are great. lotsa low end. not as durable as my cabs, but then mine listed for a lot more, too.

rich

Tags
genz benz , ohm cab , ohm cabinet , ohm mono , power amp , solid state power amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in