Cheapest Gig Amp with an Effects Loop - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Cheapest Gig Amp with an Effects Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
You don't need 100 watts if you want to get a real tube amp...You could probably find a gently used Peavey Classic 30 for close to what your budget is, and it has a great effects loop and killer tube tone to boot...It's 30 watts, but it is one LOUD mutha****a! All of the knobs go to 12, and it's a great amp for gigging with and will really cut through the mix. Try one out!
I second this suggestion, they had these amps at the place i was studying at and they are really good value for money. I think they would warm up and give you a more dynamic tone and by themselves sound pretty nice. Plus i think they also have their own lead boost built in as well with spring reverb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM

If you don't mind second hand look for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or as many have already suggested, a Peavey Classic 30. Both work well with digital modellers, sound great on their own and they are loud enough for a local gig. Plus they are not rare, check the bay.

That being said, you really need to get yourself to all the local stores and try as many amps as possible (even the really expensive stuff if they let you).

Rock on!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM

Reviews: 1

you can also look at a peavey bandit 112... 80watts of power... nice for the gt8... i use that combination and its nice....
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:02 AM

Peavey Bandit, Peavey Classic 30, Marshall AVT50... 50 Watts should be plenty for gigging

'87
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKao View Post
Thanks everyone! I'll make sure to check them out But I have a question... How exactly would I plug in my Boss GT-8 into it? Apparently there is a 4-cable method, but it only makes the unit an effects unit and not the total preamp..

Thanks!

Jeffrey
I have a GT-8 which I use with my Laney VH100R

The wiring is like this:

Guitar plugged into GT-8 INPUT.
GT-8 SEND into Laney INPUT
Laney SEND into GT-8 RETURN
GT-8 OUTPUT into Laney RETURN

If you put the effects loop on the GT-8 after the wah/distortion and before the chorus/delay/reverbs, then you have the wah/distortions in front of the amp as usual, the amplifier pre-amp is in the effects loop of the GT-8 and the delay/chorus/reverb is in the effects loop of the amplifier.
Also if you assign a volume pedal after the return of the GT-8 loop you can alter volume without affecting the overdrive, kind of like a master volume!
Your amplifier needs a series effects loop for this to work though.
Jim
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 AM

Look into the Peavys that have been suggested here. Only big expensive (relatively) solid state amps like a Roland JC120 or a Polytone will do a gig justice with your gt-8. I'm sorry but I have no love what so ever for any Crates.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
To gig you need at least a 100watt, I recommend you the marshall mg100 it goes at around 460usd. Some amp do have an effects loop but they don't have poweramp master volume, and it'll be pain in the arse and you can't hear anything onstage. But however too I recommend not using the effects loop, any amp will sound good if you plug it straight away to the input and tweak your bass, mid and high control from there. It sounded better and it can cut through better than when you plug into an effects loop. I use to do AB comparison with my zoom g9.2tt straight to the input and effects loop and seriously though straight into the input sounded way better.
??? ???? i know guys that gig with 15 watt dr z's
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 AM

I own the Peavey Valveking 112 and I've tried the Classic 50. Both are 1x12 all-tube amps with more than enough power to blow your head off (I'm literally afraid of, and have yet to go, beyond 6/10 on the volume of the Valveking, it's REALLY loud). The Valveking is better for higher gain tube tone, the Classic 50 for a more classic rock tube crunch. As for the Peavey XXL, I can't comment.

My only recommendation would be to get an all-tube amp for gigging situations, 100w transistor at $400 sounds harsh and not so nice.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Try the Line 6's...you have so much various sounds for whatever type music you like. the sounds are awsome, and the price is in your range.

Tags
amp settings , loop station , marshall avt , peavey bandit , peavey valveking , peavey xxl , spring reverb , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode