choosing the best mic for acoustic recording... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

choosing the best mic for acoustic recording...

I'm looking for a decent, not too expensive microphone that will be used to record acoustic guitar.
Should i be looking at large-diaphragm condenser microphones, or small-diaphragm microphones....
I'm looking for a microphone, that will capture every detail that comes out of the acoustic guitar... any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Rip

Re: choosing the best mic for acoustic recording...

Budget? Is this guitar just one element of a recording?
What kind of guitar? What kind of sound does the guitar emit?

Just because a microphone "captures" every detail does not mean
every microphone will capture the detail in the same way.

All those parameters need to be decided including what you hope for a completed product.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Re: choosing the best mic for acoustic recording...

Multiple options here, and mainly dependent on budget. And also what you are recording into.

Pro: You are recording into a very good channel strip, with very good A/D convertors. In stereo.

In this case, you would select a matched pair of small-diaphraghm condensors such as earthworks, Josephsons, and expect to lay down about $10k for the entire signal chain.

In this case, the SD condensors are a good choice because stereo will give you the vibrancy you need, multiple options to pick up more tone from the fretboard, soundhole, etc and the mics will be good enough to provide all the air, breadth and warmth you need.

Back down to reality. If you have $1000 to spend buy a good mono channel strip secondhand: buzzaudio, sebatron, great river, RME would be a good brand and last you forever, and something like an Audiotechnica LD condensor.

Here, you are picking the LD because you will get a better quality from a single mic within this price range, than a matched pair of mics to be used in stereo.

If you've only got $500 and can only afford a mic, and you can go to stereo, perhaps the Rode NT5 stereo mics, or some secondhand Shures.

If you've only got $200 then look for a used Rode K2 valve mic. Or the Rode NT1, NT2 and NT2000 are ok.

If you let us know what you have in terms of the following:

A/D conversion (firewire interface, SPDIF, etc)
Preamplification (channel strip, whether its just mixing desk pres, etc)
Money

... we could help more.

Just as you are better starting with a really good amp and ****ty speakers, you are better starting with a really good signal chain and a ****ty mic.

They are by no means ****ty, but the KEL mics are considered to be a bt of a trade secret, from memory they were under $100, but I would guess you would be disappointed without a very good signal chain, I've never heard them through a poor chain though.

Let me know specifics and I will look up some specifics, this is just from memory.

Tags
acoustic guitar , condenser mic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode