Choosing a cab - Mesa Rectifier Standard vs Marshall 1960V - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

View Poll Results: Which cabinet should I get?
Mesa Rectifier Standard 12 92.31%
Marshall 1960V 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Choosing a cab - Mesa Rectifier Standard vs Marshall 1960V

So I decided a short while ago that I'm getting a Peavey 6505+. This will be my first head, and obviously I need to purchase a cab to go with it. I'm stuck between two options...

The Mesa Rectifier Standard, or the Marshall 1960V.

I'm completely torn because I don't really know anything about either cab, and I've heard that they're both quite good. I want to know which you guys think is better. If it helps, I tend to play metal, ranging from progressive/power to more aggressive thrash and death metal stuff. Which cab would fit those tones better?

Thanks much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Re: Choosing a cab - Mesa Rectifier Standard vs Marshall 1960V

Mesa Slays Marshall. Simply, imo Mesa makes the best cab on the market. I bought mine used and have had it for 5 years, best sounding cab Ive ever had, and its been on 3 US tours. good luck on your search. also check out Vader cabs. their good too!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 PM

I've owned both, and definitely prefer the Mesa. Its the 2nd best cab I've had experience with. First would be the Randall MTS cabs, they are quite amazing.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:07 AM

Reviews: 39

The larger build of the Mesa, combined with the better build quality and Vintage 30's make it an all around winner hands down. It's the best 4x12 cab in it's price range; new or used. Some would defend Vader, ENGL or otherwise, but the Mesa still takes the cake for sure. I have several friends using the other $1000+ cabs and I still stick with Mesa.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 AM

Try both and then decide.

The most important component in a cab is the speaker. Mesa cabs come with Celestion V30 and standard 1960 come with Celestion G12T-75.

Note that a "vintage" version of the marshall cab features V30 too.

I find that V30's alone generate to harsh treble. I personally use a mix of 2 V30 and 2 G12T. This gives the snarling high end of the V30 combined with the medium punch of the G12T.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
The larger build of the Mesa, combined with the better build quality and Vintage 30's make it an all around winner hands down. It's the best 4x12 cab in it's price range; new or used. Some would defend Vader, ENGL or otherwise, but the Mesa still takes the cake for sure. I have several friends using the other $1000+ cabs and I still stick with Mesa.
for me it's the big size and the powerful but never flabby bass response that makes it a better "metal" cab.

Although personally I think onstage the visual impact of a matching head/cab outweighs the sonic differences a crowd in a bar will discern.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Reviews: 12

I think a better comparison is a Mesa 4x12 or an Orange 4x12.
Marshalls are cool, I have one as well as a Mesa cab. But they aren't worth what they cost new.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
Yes Mesa is arguably the best cab on the market, I only mentioned Vader cause they build a quality and affordable cab, that surpasses Marshall imo, but is in no way near the quality of a Mesa!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I'll certainly be sure to test out both cabs, if I get the opportunity to. While I'm at school, I'm within walking distance of the Boston Guitar Center (Boylston St), but at home I'm over an hour from any major guitar store. All of the local shops have very poor selections for amps. It's difficult for me to get anywhere to try out a wide range of options.

Also, the Marshalls that I'm looking at do come with V30's. I asked my friend about the G12C's before I made this thread. In his words, he said they're better for classic rock--I suppose he could be wrong, but he's never given me a bad suggestion before, so I'm more inclined to believe him than not, ha. Additionally, I keep hearing that the Mesa's a very low-end cab. But certainly if I can, I'll try out a cab with V30's and a cab with G12C's.

Thanks for all the responses, everybody! Looks like a general consensus for Mesa. Though I'll keep an eye on this thread up until I actually have enough money to make my purchase in August.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgrindar View Post
I'll certainly be sure to test out both cabs, if I get the opportunity to. While I'm at school, I'm within walking distance of the Boston Guitar Center (Boylston St), but at home I'm over an hour from any major guitar store. All of the local shops have very poor selections for amps. It's difficult for me to get anywhere to try out a wide range of options.

Also, the Marshalls that I'm looking at do come with V30's. I asked my friend about the G12C's before I made this thread. In his words, he said they're better for classic rock--I suppose he could be wrong, but he's never given me a bad suggestion before, so I'm more inclined to believe him than not, ha. Additionally, I keep hearing that the Mesa's a very low-end cab. But certainly if I can, I'll try out a cab with V30's and a cab with G12C's.

Thanks for all the responses, everybody! Looks like a general consensus for Mesa. Though I'll keep an eye on this thread up until I actually have enough money to make my purchase in August.
I had the marshall with V30s, and found the breakup weird, I think your friend was right with the classic rock thing. heres another thing to consider- try to get a straight cab if possible, because of the extra room inside(and extra wood outside) they offer about 1/3rd more low end, a significant amount more. Mesa cabs are bigger than Marshall so there is naturally more lows, and Mesa "tunes" their cabs whereas Marshall does not. I use a Mesa straight/slant Rectifier cab and that thing speaks with authority. if you can find one new or used I highly recommend them. Used they go for 5 to 6 hundred ballpark. good luck
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 AM

Reviews: 39

Grindgod, I agree with you on the Vader argument to some degree. The real big thing I have against them personally is the speakers, not the build quality. The Eminence speakers focus too much "gnarl and grit" in the lower midrange with rolled off highs (personal distaste for my lead sound) but excellent for chugga chugga music.

Van Noord, I also agree with the Orange comparison - I've used them a few times before and loved it with my 5150 and Mesa rig, but waaay expensive new. Gorgeous looking on stage though! Big downside with the Orange is its rigged for 16 ohm operation only, so I have to slave it to a fullstack if you wanna use it with a Mesa Mark series rig (8/4 ohm operation only!)

The G12T-75s in the Marshall cabs are about as meaty on the low end once dialed as V30s, but the midrange is significantly different (more cut, less present). Just not as full ranged sounding. To me once you've worked in a music store as long as I have and taken the two cabs back to back and REALLY heard the difference on the same amp and settings, there is no comparison - the Mesa is the superior cab (especially since you can grab one for $450-600 used in various conditions). Adding V30's to a crappy cab will be just that, a crappy cab with V30s; it will not be a Mesa cab.

Good luck with your shopping!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Mesa will probably compliment 5150 more, then a Marshall would do, in a sense that despite having the same speakers, bigger cab (Mesa) will warm up amp's tone. however, if you're more or less used to Marshall cabs with the GT75 spkrs, Mesa will be one dull sounding box. At least, till you get used to it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:32 PM

i have a 5150 head and used it with a marshall loaded with g12 75 speakes i also own a bogner cab and a 77 marshall cab and just sold my cornford 2x10 the cornford and bogner have the v30 i used the v30 with the 5150 and i also found it to be duller compared to the marshall with g12 75 the marshall had a nice top end and also the bottom end was ok too ,, it didnt have much in the way of mids and was slightly scooped so i have mixed the g12 75 with some g12 30h blackbacks to give it some body ,,,this is in an x pattern so far it seems pretty good .... the v 30 is a good all round speaker though .... well in my opinion
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

both of these, though well made furniture
are pretty sub standard sound reproducers
play your set up through a cab loaded with some EV 12L's
preferably in an old mesa 2x12 set up and you will never buy another
celestion or emenice or any other "guitar speaker"
guaranteed....
heavy though
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
both of these, though well made furniture
are pretty sub standard sound reproducers
play your set up through a cab loaded with some EV 12L's
preferably in an old mesa 2x12 set up and you will never buy another
celestion or emenice or any other "guitar speaker"
guaranteed....
heavy though
So......you're saying the aforementioned cabs are just pieces of furniture because of the speakers they are loaded with, until they're loaded with EV's?

You say to put EV's is "a cab", (which I interprete as "any cab") and all your worries will disappear?

There is not one end all be all speaker for all players.
EV's are nice, but I for one perfer a speaker that has some color and character.

Tags
1960 , cab , marshall , mesa , rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode