Christmas gift ideas, please! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Christmas gift ideas, please!

Let's throw around some guitar-related Christmas gift ideas.

I need some help. My little brother, although 16 years younger than I am, began playing guitar much earlier in life than I did and he is WAY more skilled than I am. My family does gifts this way: each family member gets ONE other member to buy a gift for, which usually ends up being an item of a couple hundred dollars. (People then usually get smaller gifts for everybody else.) This year I would like to buy for my brother and have requested him as my recipient.

My bro has a Heritage semi-hollow, a Tom Anderson, and an entry-level Martin acoustic. He has a nice small tube amp, a GoodTone or BeautyTone or HappyTone or something like that. I dunno. I am leaning towards a small digital recorder like the Zoom H4 or the Boss Micro. Guitarists are picky, so I might need a little help this year.

Anybody got any good ideas for my brother or good recommendations in general? What do you want Santa to bring you?

Merry Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 PM

Re: Christmas gift ideas, please!

If he's got a computer, some sort of interface like a POD would be a good idea. I really like the Gearbox software that comes with it. It opens up a lot of possiblities.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 18

Get him a GT-8 if he needs effects.

Jimmy
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
What do you want Santa to bring you?
An LNG, an FP and a PGM100, but i think i hear Santa using some foul language

Last edited by andy7jem; 11-16-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM

Mikey..... that's a tough one. Maybe you could get together with him and run down to the local music store just to look around. Then check out the things he looks at. Kinda get a feel of what he needs or would like to have.

The digital recorder is a god idea though or like JB suggested a good modeling pedal. See which one he likes..... best of luck though! I'm sure he'll appreciate anything you get him.

P.S. I couldn't correct my mis-quote in the other thread! My Apologies!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Reviews: 18

Yeah, it's really hard to pick out a gift for a guitar player because they are very picky and depending on the kind of sound and music he or she is into. Personally, I would ask for a gift certificate to GC, that way I can buy my fav. present.

Jimmy
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 PM

The H4 is a handy little tool.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:04 PM

hes got an anderson... neat, hes doing well
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. (and keep 'em coming! I love Christmas . . .)

JB, the GT-8 is that nice multi-effects pedal from Boss, right? If so, I thought about that. It's versatile. I know I would have tons of fun tweaking tones with that thing.

jemplayer, you have a good idea too. I will not see him before the holiday arrives but I'm thinking back over our visits to stores to see if I can remember what he liked.
And thanks, apology accepted!

I appreciate the gift certificate suggestion but I'm philosophically opposed to it. I feel like if you know the person well enough, you should be able to choose a gift that the recipient will love, and keep. He's as picky as any other guitarist, and might exchange my gift, but I want to give it my best shot.

Last edited by Hikey Mikey; 11-17-2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: #@%&*! spelling errors!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 PM

If he's anything like me, he's too picky to buy gear for. I never let anyone buy gear for me unless I tell them and make absolutely certain that they know exactly what I want.

My suggestion is looking on the 'bay or MF for some of their gift ideas. Stuff like guitar related items, like wall clocks or bar stools or music memorabilia. Things he can decorate he room with. That's what I would do anyway. That way you aren't spending your money on something that he either won't like or won't use.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
If he's anything like me, he's too picky to buy gear for. I never let anyone buy gear for me unless I tell them and make absolutely certain that they know exactly what I want.

My suggestion is looking on the 'bay or MF for some of their gift ideas. Stuff like guitar related items, like wall clocks or bar stools or music memorabilia. Things he can decorate he room with. That's what I would do anyway. That way you aren't spending your money on something that he either won't like or won't use.

$400 worth of guitar memoribillia???!!! :O
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM

You know something that would be great is a nice box full of as many accessory items that you can think of. All the stuff that, when you go to the music store, you tend to either forget about or think "well, that would be a good thing to have!"... but never get around to buying.

A nice strobe tuner, a couple of good string winders,(I love the Planet Waves ones with the clipper built in) neck rest pads or tripods for changing strings and doing general upkeep or repairs, wrenches, etc... all that little stuff. Whatever you can think of that could come in handy. Strap locks, spare straps, I could go on and on.

Even if a box of that stuff would be a secondary gift to something bigger, those are the kind of things that get years and years of use. And he'd always be glad to have those things at hand when needed.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
What do you want Santa to bring you?
A BRMR, 3120, PGM100, 20th Jem, UV777BK, and a G-system, haha. Doesnt hurt to dream
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:59 AM

How about a bunch of cool accessories and a multi fx board like the gt-8, or the new me 20?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
$400 worth of guitar memoribillia???!!! :O
The Fender barstools in MF are going for $100 a piece. It's not a stretch of the imagination to buy $400 worth of memorabilia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog_Kid
You know something that would be great is a nice box full of as many accessory items that you can think of. All the stuff that, when you go to the music store, you tend to either forget about or think "well, that would be a good thing to have!"... but never get around to buying.

A nice strobe tuner, a couple of good string winders,(I love the Planet Waves ones with the clipper built in) neck rest pads or tripods for changing strings and doing general upkeep or repairs, wrenches, etc... all that little stuff. Whatever you can think of that could come in handy. Strap locks, spare straps, I could go on and on.

Even if a box of that stuff would be a secondary gift to something bigger, those are the kind of things that get years and years of use. And he'd always be glad to have those things at hand when needed
This is a good idea too. Don't forget about guitar cleaning supplies and picks by the bucketful.

Tags
local music store , music store , planet waves , playing guitar , strap lock , strap locks , strobe tuner , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode