Clean or Overdrive channel - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
eg

Clean or Overdrive channel

I have this effects loop jack on my combo amp
How do I use it and with what effects do I use with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 01:04 AM

Its late and Im tired so you get the abbreviated version...

its pretty simple.
like hooking up your vcr.

Send = out
return = In

incase you didnt know...
it depends on what you are using.
If pedals or rack gear..
but ultimately, just connect them in order of in to out to in to out etc..
start at the out/send and loop all the pedals the same to the in/return..
then with the FX botton on the amps FC will turn on/off the FX signal and you can use the pedals etc..
or if its a rack unit its just 2 cable and te same theory but you have a midi fc to change presets etc...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 05:43 AM

Basically, the effects loop is placed after the preamp stage of your amplifier. Basically, put any effects etc in this loop you want, but generally it'll be the kind of effects you'd normally put after a distortion pedal like chorus, flangers, delay etc (noise gates also )

Hope that makes sense

Effects loops stop everything being very noisy as the effects is after the main amplification stage, so noise won't get amplified as much

James
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
eg

Thanks.

One question; do you normally plug the distortion pedal into the clean channel or the overdrive channel on the amp?

Kinda newbie; so I hope you guys don't mind my questions.

Cos I use a DS1 and I find that plugging it into the clean channel just not give just a smooth enough distortion with the amount of sustain that I want.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 08:45 AM

I presume your amps only got the one input jack, but 2 channels. keep the DS-1 plugged in, clean channel when you want a clean sound, overdrive amp channel for distortion, and kick in the DS-1 on distortioin channel for a solo boost.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 09:12 AM

The only effects pedals that don't sound good plugged into an effects loop are distortion and wah-wah.

I usually use my effects loop for delay and reverb (ever try plugging a delay in BEFORE your distortion? Ouch), or if you're after a Dimebag Darrell tone try putting a graphic EQ in your effects loop, followed by noise gate if you have one. Boost the EQ's high and low frequencies and cut the middles.

I prefer to plug phasers, flangers and chorus in the regular stomp-box way, into my amp's distortion channel, but that's personal preference. I don't like the way those three effects sound after distortion, too much like a keyboard or something. I like 'em grungier, Hendrixier.

Ultimately, just plug everything in as many ways as you can think of, because there is no right or wrong, there's only what you like best.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
eg

Thanks for the inputs; I am asking this cos when I use the overdrive channel and the DS1 at the same time; the sounds become too metallic times... and I don't really know how to balance between distortion and sustain... too little dist. no enough sustain; too much distortion it kills the tone...

I hope you guys get what i'm trying to say here.

Most of all; would like to know how you guys use the DS1 so I can try them out too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 07:37 AM

Like the above posts put the DS1 in front of the preamp, then put your delay, chorus, flange, ect in the loop. If you are not getting enough boost/sustain I remember seeing a thread on this site about a modified DS1 - look it up. Otherwise try a compressor/sustainer as well.
My amp has a tube buffered effects loop (it's a Rivera 55-12) that allows for a simple trick. Connect a 1-foot cord from the "effects out" to the "effects in" jack, turn down the levels for the send and return, turn up your preamp and master volumes. Play around with this until you get the sustain/boost that you desire. I have been told NOT to try this if it is not a tube buffered preamp.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 12:50 PM

EG- set the gain really low on the DS-1 and the level for a slight but noticeable volume boost when you hit it on the clean channel. You don't need to add much gain, just "massage" the lead channel a little bit.

-Drew
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
eg

On the lead or clean channel??

Tags
combo amp , dimebag darrell , distortion pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode