Clean Tone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Clean Tone

I have a single channel Marshall JCM 800. It's a great amp, but it was obviously not made for a clean tone. I'm basically looking for a Jimi Hendrix clean tone, sort of like the one Vai has in "The Boy From Seattle." What amps (probably just a head) would you guys recommend?

And what sort of gear did Jimi use for recording Little Wing?

And one more thing, there's no need to give me the "tone exists in the fingers lecture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 09:54 AM

I can't comment on the gear used for those recordings...no idea.

If you dig on the Marshall for your rockin tones, then I would suggest picking up a used Fender deluxe or even a cyber deluxe and run a two amp system. I think the cyber deluxes can be had for a song if you can find one. Only real draw back is that the floor board is about the size of an import car. They sound fantastic in my opinion, but nothing beats an old Fender Deluxe for clean tones. And they are small, to boot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM

I've got a Fender SF Deluxe Reverb and the clean in that amp sends shivers up my spine... That being said, I found the easiest way to get both excellent clean and driven tones was to go to a rack setup. Some people think racks are expensive, but when you start considering multi-amp setups, a rack is a viable and potentially economical alternative. I get some lovely clean tones out of my rack gear using a JMP-1 or Piranha preamp into a Mesa 20/20 - the Piranha's cleans are warmer, but the JMP can really sparkle; they both sound fantastic, especially with a touch of reverb or chorus mixed in from my G-Major...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 10:03 AM

How about a Carvin Legacy head? Nice cleans, reasonably priced, cool endorser, and you might even like the OD channel.
Greg
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 10:59 AM

You guys are probably getting tired of me plugging Mojave ampworks in here, but check out the clean tones of the Plexi 45 model....very spunky sounding, really fat...or is it phhhaaat. Expensive as the dickens $2000plus for the head, another $1100 and change for a 4x12....driven hard with a fuzz it nails Johnson's lead tone dead on.

Riveras and the Mesa Maverick and Blue Angel, even the Nomad series all have fantastic cleans as well. Riveras and the Nomads have smoking distortions as well....really really smokin. A few of us in here have Nomad 45's and they are incredible...a few also have Rivera TBRs which are unbelievably incredible...all of these can be had at reasonable prices and are some of the more versatile amps available.

Agree with Greg as well, I like the clean tones of the Legacy amps too and those are very reasonably priced. Keep in mind, if you go with multiple heads and just one cabinet, you'll want to invest in an amp switcher to control signal routing and protect your output stages. Getting combo as a second cures this problem, but it's bigger and requires more lugging around.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

So if I can get like around $500 to $600 out of my JCM 800 head, do you think that could purchase for me a decent rack system (just like a pre and power amp for now) I could probably settle for something like a mesa 50:50 and then a pre-amp (don't know specifically what I want yet, but probably a JMP-1 )
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:46 AM

For the amps I've played, I remember liking the clean tones of

Rivera R100 (with the boost on so it distorts when you slam a bit harder. Nice!)
Boogie .50 head to a vintage Marshall cab. Fat!
Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vibroverb Reissue, Twin Reverb Reissue. Classic stuff.
Peavey Classic series
Marshall Super Bass (vintage)
Mesa Studio Preamp to a 20:20
Mesa Blue Angel.

I'd personally stay away from most rack & solid state stuff (yup, contrary to popular belief, Roland Jazz Chorus sucks). Do you need a "clean" or a CLEAN sound? I prefer mine with some grit, it cuts through a bit more. Tube amps do that nicely. keep that JCM800. That's a nice beast to have.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:52 AM

A crucial element of that Little Wing-style tone is having two single coil pickups (bridge and middle, or neck and middle) going into a somewhat distorted amp but with the guitar's volume control rolled back a bit, preferably with a high pass filter on the volume pot (a teensy capacitor which will cost you about .3 of a cent at any electronics store), though I don't think Jimi's guitars had that. Vai's do, and you can hear it put to use in Tender Surrender, which has the same amp sound all the way through, with the clean sound achieved by rolling back the guitar's volume instead of switching channels.

Also try to hold the pick a little tighter while using a very light touch with your fretting hand.

Tags
clean tone , coil pickup , fender deluxe , fender deluxe reverb , high pass filter , jimi hendrix , mesa studio preamp , peavey classic , power amp , rack setup , rack system , rivera tbr , roland jazz chorus , tube amp , tube amps , twin reverb , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode