Combo amp for metal and instrumental rock, help please! - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 AM

Re: Combo amp for metal and instrumental rock, help please!

i have never actually tried a legacy, but from what i gathered, they sound best at a high volume, in the mix of other instruments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, EVERY tube amp i can think of sounds best at high volume, the so-called "sweet spot" right before it breaks up...but that has nothing to do with what im talking about lol.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Well, EVERY tube amp i can think of sounds best at high volume, the so-called "sweet spot" right before it breaks up...but that has nothing to do with what im talking about lol.
no no, im not talking about a sweet spot. im talking about how the majority of high gain amps sounds insanely buzzy and terrible at a bedroom volume. and i wouldnt say EVERY tube amp because like i said before, the supersonic sounds like utter dog-poop at mid-upper volumes
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 AM

just make sure you try out what you are going to buy, thoroughly!!
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Kind of no way to really do that with a Legacy or most of these other amps, they dont really carry a lota these at Guitar Center or Daddys or any of those other stores.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM

The legacy is in no way a bedroom amp. If you live in an ampartment and volume is a problem then the legacy is not for you.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I dont mean it like I need to keep the volume at 0.5 or I'll get kicked out, I just mean i need it to sound good at a reasonable (read: not extremely loud) volume. Ive been lookin around a lot and i REALLY dig the Laney VH100R amp. Might be out of my price range though, and unfortunately it seems its only offered in stack form, not a combo.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I really like what I've seen from the Carvin Legacy combo, and that's doable for like 650-800 on the bay...anyone here own one and wanna chime in?
I got a Carvin legacy combo and i reaaaaally love the tone. The clean and crunch tones are absolutely great. You can totally nail those Guthrie Govan sounds and light rock/ fusion sounds.

Want to sound like Metallica, Symphony X, Dream Theater? Forget it. The Legacy isn't a high gain amp.

If you want a High Gain amp, try an old Peavey 5150. Brutal in distortion...

Before i forget, the Legacy combo is loud.. Real loud...
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=shreddersymphony;811502]I dont mean it like I need to keep the volume at 0.5 or I'll get kicked out, I just mean i need it to sound good at a reasonable (read: not extremely loud) volume.

Forget it because the legacy has only one volume. Extremely loud. Even with the volume knob on 1 it is retarded loud.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 18

Try the JSX combo again. Buy it and take it home, test it for a week and if you don't like it, take it back. You can generally get a metal-like tone out of the ultra channel and add some stomps to it if you need more metal-like qualities.

I use it in my home and it maintains a nice sound even at low volumes. If you have a POD, hook it up to the loop via 4-cable method and it should change your original perception of the amp.

Jimmy
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The thing ive heard about most of the nice mesas is that they only really sound good cranked, which wont work for me cuz I live in an apartment...
Sort of. There's two types of Mesas, to my ears - the ones that sound thin and crunchy at low volumes and thicken up/smooth out as you open them up (Rectifiers, Stilettos), and the ones that start all smooth and sing-y, and get crunchier as they turn up (basically, everything else).

My Nomad has one of the best "bedroom" lead tones I've ever heard, whereas my Rectifier doesn't sound that great (without my Hot Plate, anyhow) until it gets pretty loud, at which point it sounds awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshred777 View Post
Well, the nomads sound very similar to the mark series. Some believe they are a bit more versatile as a 'live' amp having 3 channels each with independent eq,reverb as well as different modes. The two 'dirty' channels have a vintage or modern mode. The clean channel I believe has a clean/pushed mode. I really like the nomad series (and think they're underrated), and from the tone you're after I think the nomad would work well.
It's (IMO) easily the most underrated Mesa in existance, although to be fair I'm thinking of selling mine.

I'd argue it's more versatile than the Mark-IV simply due to the third channel - 3 Vintage has a very Mark-like singing sustain to it, but if you flip it over to 3 Modern it actually gets pretty crunchy, with a clearer low end than the Mark-IV. It never gets quite into Rectifier territory, but it gets way closer than you'd expect it to.
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 PM

I used to play through a TriAxis straight into my computer's soundcard but thought I wasn't really using it to it's whole potential without a decent poweramp and cab after it, so I sold. But I love how it sounded.............

Just like shreddersymphony I'm now on the hunt for a nice combo that will get me that same sound. I play the same kind of music he does so I've been watching this thread very closely.

I only use two sounds: one for ditortion and one for cleans

On the TriAxis they were: Mark3c channel (Ld1 yellow) for the distortion and the clean yellow for cleans.

Last week I tried a few Laneys and didnt get even close to what I was looking for.

Yesterday I tried a Mark 3 1x12 combo. I started with the clean channel and was really excited when I heard how great it sounded. Crunch was good too, but I don't give a [email protected] about AC/DC's sound. When I asked the guy to dial in the most distorted tone the amp could deliver I was like....................WTF?!?!?!?

You could barely call that a Metal distortion. Just a very overdriven crunch sound but forget about playing DT or Sx with that............. I was devastated.

He told me Marks were not intended as Metal amps and that if I wanted to get a good metal sound out of it I'd have to put a pedal in front of it.............no way

How is this possible, aren't Marks capable of giving me great Metal distortion without the need of a pedal? I don't want to spend over 1500 euros on an amp and then need to throw a 50 buck pedal in the signal chain.

Next week I'm trying out a Nomad and hope to have more luck with it. Anyone has any experience with this amps????

Hope this helps.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0 View Post
Yesterday I tried a Mark 3 1x12 combo. I started with the clean channel and was really excited when I heard how great it sounded. Crunch was good too, but I don't give a [email protected] about AC/DC's sound. When I asked the guy to dial in the most distorted tone the amp could deliver I was like....................WTF?!?!?!?

You could barely call that a Metal distortion. Just a very overdriven crunch sound but forget about playing DT or Sx with that............. I was devastated.

He told me Marks were not intended as Metal amps and that if I wanted to get a good metal sound out of it I'd have to put a pedal in front of it.............no way

How is this possible, aren't Marks capable of giving me great Metal distortion without the need of a pedal? I don't want to spend over 1500 euros on an amp and then need to throw a 50 buck pedal in the signal chain.
I've never played a Mark amp, but ermm...Did -you- get a chance to muck with the settings or did you just have the guy in the store dialing stuff in for you? Do you know what settings he was using to give you "as much distortion as the amp had"? And what guitar were you using through it?

Besides, if you're willing to spend that much on an amp, then what's 50 bucks more for an entire new range of tones?
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 AM

I went to a private to try it out because he's the one who's selling it. The Mark has a kind of complicated architecture and therefore I was asking the guy to change stuff around whenever I didn't understand how to do it myself. He knew how to move around the dials.

Anyway, we tried everything but not a hint of a decent metal distrtion.

My point about the pedal is: I need a decent combo ONLY to get a good distortion sound out of it (I dont care about cleans, effects or whatever), so I want one where I can plug in, turn on and there's my tone. Without other devices.

Anyway Im trying out a nomad next week I'll let you guys know how it goes.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM

A Nomad will do DT, no sweat. It's never quite as aggressive as a Recto, but if Image and Words era DT is your thing, you should do just fine.

Tags
amp head , amp modeler , bedroom amp , blue voodoo , carvin legacy combo , combo amp , crate blue voodoo , distorted tone , distortion pedal , engl thunder , guthrie govan , high gain amp , john petrucci , jsx combo , kettner switchblade , mesa nomad , michael romeo , pod pro , power amp , power amps , solid state power amp , stomp box , tube amp , tube combo , tube combo amp , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode