Combos & Hotplate - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Smile Combos & Hotplate

I've got a silly question which I hope will not make me look dumb

Can the THD hotplate be used with a Combo Tube amp?? I know power attenuators are normally used with heads & cabs but what about combos?

Also, what is a suitable wattage tube amp which has sound levels (i.e. tubes fully driven) suitable for bedroom playing? Is there some kind of comparison chart for different sizes of amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:33 AM

Re: Combos & Hotplate

Bedroom? Maybe 5-15 Watts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
Bedroom? Maybe 5-15 Watts.
I've heard that solid-state amps of the same wattage are not as loud as tube amps. Is it true?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpuppets
I've got a silly question which I hope will not make me look dumb

Can the THD hotplate be used with a Combo Tube amp?? I know power attenuators are normally used with heads & cabs but what about combos?
Not silly at all, really... it's perfectly fine to use an attenuator with a combo. In most combos, it's possible to unplug the internal speaker. So run the speaker out into the attenuator, then plug the speaker into the attenuator. You may need a speaker extension cable to pull this off.

In combos where the speaker is hardwired in, technically it's still possible, but you'd probably have to cut the wire and put in a couple 1/4" jacks to have an insert point for the attenuator.

--B
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpuppets
I've heard that solid-state amps of the same wattage are not as loud as tube amps. Is it true?
And there is no point in turning a solid state amp up as well as they dont sound better when you dime them like tubes....

You can use a hotplate with a combo amp as long as the speaker is plugged in with a 1/4 inch input jack so that you can plug that into the hotplate and plug the hotplate into the amp as well..

Be sure to match the impedance - they make hotplates in 4, 8 16 and some oddball impedances like 2.7 so you should be alright.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Tube amp for bedroom playing? Something like...hmm...2 watts?

I am glad you asked the hotplate question actually, as I was wondering the same thing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 PM

Even 1 watt cranked is loud. I would suggest a combo with a post phase inverter master volume and a hotplate like a marshall dsl201 or 401.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy
Even 1 watt cranked is loud

true

believe it or not, to be comfortable you should go down to 0.1 watt, like the Z-vex

here you will find lots of infos on this problem, it's a personal webpage freely written by an amplifier engineer ---> www. amptone.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

What does 'headroom' mean? I keep reading threads about how wattage is related to headroom, just not sure what it means....

Tags
combo amp , extension cab , marshall dsl , solid state amp , thd hotplate , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode