comments on the mesa f-30 head or nomad heads ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

comments on the mesa f-30 head or nomad heads ?

i was looking at maybe getting either of the two , i know that the nomad has the full third channle and solo boost along with a multi band Eq , but the f-30 caught my eye based on price and it's stright forward approach.

any comments would be great . I played a roadking about a year ago and it has been in the back of my mind since then , i loved that amp , i just hated the price tag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 02:26 PM

Re: comments on the mesa f-30 head or nomad heads ?

I've owned a Nomad 2x12 combo, the 45 watt EL84 model so it didn't have the graphic eq. Insanely flexible amp, much better sounding than the rectifier models, the gain structure is less buzzy, more marshall-ish if you well...I should say more JCM800 marshall-ish as plenty of marshalls are buzzy too.

The only gripe I had was that for a dedicated channel the clean side had very little headroom and it was really difficult to balance things out. But EL84 amps aren't going to have lots of headroom so I guess that's to be expected. If you're looking at a Nomad 100 then that shouldn't be a problem.

I highly recommend the Nomad on all fronts, especially since they are such a great value on the used market these days. One of the best lines that Mesa built, in my opinion.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:04 PM

I played an F-30 sunday. I've never tried a Nomad.

the F-30 is freakin loud. It also has an awesome clean sound that sounded very setzery to me. The distortion is very typical mesa distortion. BUY IT!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

well that is what i have heard from people on a few other forums . i am leaning a lot more toward the nomad .
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 AM

I used to own a Nomad. Not a bad little amp by any measure, it was helluva versatile, if fiddley to dial in the right tone. Never played an F-30 though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

well everyone that has posted on other forums has said that this one or that one is great but no one has played both to give a side by side comparision .
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

what about the mark 3 ? there is a deal on one that i found at an online shop .
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 02:20 AM
HoP

ever look into a triple or double rec?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoP
ever look into a triple or double rec?

yeah i played a roadking about a year ago and every since then i have had that in the back of my head . i fell in love with that amp , just not the price tag . the same goes for the doubles and triples , they sound good but are a little more then i wanted to spend . even the solo 50s and rect-o-verb head are selling for around 900.

the nomad is toward the top end of what i have to spend, the f-30 is a littler cheaper, and i am going to be getting some prices on a couple of mark 3s which look very promising .
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 02:54 AM
HoP

hmm. ill have to look into the f-30... see how it sounds compaired to a double or triple rec, swapping out those pickups really helped take away my muddy tubba sound , but I still get a nasty noise from the back of my amp when I palm mute alot of stuff on my low A, so im guessing thats just from my cheap line6 SpiderII head.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoP
hmm. ill have to look into the f-30... see how it sounds compaired to a double or triple rec, swapping out those pickups really helped take away my muddy tubba sound , but I still get a nasty noise from the back of my amp when I palm mute alot of stuff on my low A, so im guessing thats just from my cheap line6 SpiderII head.

the spiders aren't the greatest thing ever especially with a 7 tuned to A , if you have a god cab it can handle it but to me the spiders sound over processed . Having said that , i am really digging thier guitar port .
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 01:08 PM

I own a DC-5 Dual Caliber 50 watt head which is the father to the Nomad series. They have much better cleans then rectos but can get that Recto crunch. I think the Nomads are even better and more flexible.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=528793
under "nomad clip" lol, duh..
just some scratch tracks from working on a new song.... no eqing or any producing done other than putting on the computer and turning it up. these were recorded at bedroom levels BTW
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan7620
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=528793
under "nomad clip" lol, duh..
just some scratch tracks from working on a new song.... no eqing or any producing done other than putting on the computer and turning it up. these were recorded at bedroom levels BTW

cool thanks a bunch for posting that .
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM

How much are the nomads going for?

Tags
guitar port , palm mute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode