Comparison of Peavey Valveking 112 vs 212 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Comparison of Peavey Valveking 112 vs 212

Hey guys...

Somebody messaged me on YouTube asking me if I could get the same metal tone from my Valveking 112 as this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274) who uses a Valveking 212. Short answer, yes. But, before I knew it, I had a 5+ paragraph answer, so for my sake (as a longtime lurker on this website I could finally register) as well as for the sake of those interested, here's what I wrote (I've edited some bits and pieces)...

"
Yep, I can get the same metal tone on my VK112...

The VK212 is bigger than the VK112, has an extra speaker, so it pushes more air and the larger cab may make it sound "bigger" or "bassier" but this difference is really subjective and altogether quite negligible. You can dial out the same tones on a VK112 as on a VK212, I have no problem getting JamieOldfield's tone or the ones shown in that official Peavey Valveking demonstration video.

I think the only reason to get a VK212 over a VK112 is if you really need the extra power... That's it. The only way to tell if you need more power is if you've been at a gig and turned your amp all the way up and it still wasn't loud enough, or sounded too harsh. I'm telling you that this will NOT happen when you have a VK112... I can't think of a situation where I would need the VK212's extra power. The other day, for example, I was at my (metal) band's rehearsal and the drummer was telling me that I was starting to overpower him when my VK112's volume was just under 5. The other guitarist was playing on a half-stack and the VK112 had no problems keeping up with it. The only issue worth noting is that since the VK112 is much smaller than a half-stack it doesn't project sound as widely. This is where the VK212 might have an advantage over the VK112, but again, I think this difference should be negligible, because the VK212 is not as tall as a half stack (height is more important than width when it comes to sound projection). Finally, you can always output the VK112 or 212 into a half stack, and at gigs the amps will be miced out to the PA anyway.

What you should also understand is that the VK212 is more inconvenient than the VK112 in many ways. If you want to replace speakers, you have to replace two instead of one (costs 2x the price). It's the same story with the tubes, where you would need to replace four 6L6GC tubes in the case of the VK212, whereas the VK112 you would only need to replace two. There are three 12AX7 power tubes in both amps but those get replaced much less often than the pre-amp tubes... Now, why should you care about replacing parts of the Valveking anyway? Because the VK is a great modder's amp . In building this amp, Peavey cut costs by omitting things that don't matter (LED's, shiny/metal dials, effects) and by installing cheap tubes and speakers that can easily be replaced with higher quality ones. Yep... Peavey's main concern was quality tube tone for a good price, as it were On top of it all, you don't even need to rebias tubes when you replace them! Super convenient, if you ask me It's almost a crime to get this amp and to complain about the tone without trying to mod it first.

Now for a comparison of the VK212 and VK112 in practice... They're both tube amps, and we know that tube amps sound better the louder they get due to loudness = saturation of tubes. Now, since the VK212 has more preamp tubes than the VK112, it will break up to get that nice, rich tube distortion only at louder volumes than the VK112. This could be a problem if you intend on using the amp as a bedroom practice amp. For example, I'm a college student and when I'm practicing in my dorm with the volume only at 1 my "ceiling neighbor" starts stamping his floor as a way of telling me to turn it the **** down so I have to turn it down to like 0.75. This means that if I had a VK212, I think I'd have to turn it down even more which wouldn't make me exactly thrilled about the tone, since tube amps are like the prima donnas of guitar amplifiers - they sound best when they're loud and proud.

Another note: the VK212 is bigger and heavier than the VK112, and the VK112 is already ****ing heavy as it is, so keep that in mind if you rely on being able to carry your amp around.

Finally, Valveking amps really bring out the character of your guitar. JamieOldfield has a decent metal guitar (Schecter C1 Classic, I think) which has an active, high output EMG 81 pickup in the bridge which overdrive the **** out of the amp - and that's why he gets such a br00tal metal tone with his VK212 Furthermore, he's tuned to D-standard, which sounds awesome because Valveking + low tunings + chugga chugga = win. I have an Ibanez RG350DX and while I can get a similar tone to JamieOldfield's using the RG350DX's default pickups, my metal playing sounds less aggressive and less defined, which is a good thing - it proves that my axe needs a pickup change I remember plugging an Epiohine Les Paul Standard into my VK112 with the exact same equalization settings as used for my 350DX, and it sounded very different. The character of the LP shone through the amp - dark, thick, and heavy.

Hence, in conclusion, yes, get a Valveking. VK112 or 212? If you have the dough for a VK212 as well as for the additional cost of potentially replacing more parts, if you live by yourself where you can crank the amp even at bedroom practice, and if you have a car or the muscle for transporting it around, then get a VK212. Otherwise, get a VK112.
"

Hope this helps anyone interested.

Last edited by varador; 12-18-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: formatting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM

Re: Comparison of Peavey Valveking 112 vs 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
yes, get a Valveking. VK112 or 212? If you have the dough for a VK212 as well as for the additional cost of potentially replacing more parts, if you live by yourself where you can crank the amp even at bedroom practice, and if you have a car or the muscle for transporting it around, then get a VK212. Otherwise, get a VK112.
Hope this helps anyone interested.
are you taking it as a given that you WILL have to replace the speakers??? because idont want my first real amp needing an immediate speaker change...

also im a mainly bedroom jammer low'ish volumes and maybe a drummer jam so i guess youll tell me to get the 50watt? i do have the money for the 100w if its needed so i dont know ....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

No, you don't have to replace the speakers and tubes immediately, but that option for improving tone is ready for you down the road whether you get a 112 or 212

Are you planning on carrying the amp around to get to your drummer jam? The 112 is already pretty heavy, like 21kg, it's quite tiring for me to move it from my dorm room to the practice room (500 meter walk), and I'm a rugby player and can nearly bench press my own weight. I tried lifting the 212 and it's even heavier, I'd guess around 30kg.

Also - since you're mainly a bedroom jammer - are there any volume limitations? Does your bedroom have thick walls? Do you have annoying neighbors? Nagging parents? Because - as mentioned in my thread - you will have to turn the 212 up louder than the 112 to get a good distorted tone. When I played the 212 today in the shop this was the case.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Also - since you're mainly a bedroom jammer - are there any volume limitations? Does your bedroom have thick walls? Do you have annoying neighbors? Nagging parents? Because - as mentioned in my thread - you will have to turn the 212 up louder than the 112 to get a good distorted tone. When I played the 212 today in the shop this was the case.
How loud did u have to crank it?? im a bedroom jammer but my volume limitations i suppose are jamming over a med lvl dummer in the side room and the drum set is in the side room (my bro is a drummer) so i dont think id be carrying it round much my rents would drive me in most cases with an amp that big
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

My band's practice room is a big rectangular room, something like 10 by 20 meters. When positioned about 7m away from the drummer in this room and with the volume on my 112 at about 5, he says I'm starting to overpower him, and he's quite a heavy hitter too. Of course, at that volume, the VK112 sounds awesome since the tubes get to be fully saturated and the distortion is full and rich I imagine this should be the same case with the 212

I'd say that the 112 and 212 reach a good distorted tone at a reasonable bedroom practice volume when the volume dial rolled in to 1 out of 10. Keep in mind, however, that at the same volume setting, the perceived volume, or sound pressure (dB), of the 212 will be somewhat higher since it has an extra speaker. However, since the 212 has a much bigger cab than the 112 (not only wider - it is also significantly taller than the 112), this added volume resonating in the bigger cab makes it sound much "bigger." If you play chugga chugga downtuned metal riffs they sound much more convincing - the bigger, open back cab of the 212 gives a much bassier sound than the 112. Or, if you play clean passages, the sound fills up the room much more completely than the 112. Your sound simply has more presence when it comes from a bigger cab - more sound is being projected at any given moment.

Again, if you can get it, I recommend the 212 over the 112, the extra power is harmless and the improved sound projection from a bigger cab and extra speaker is well worth it. I didn't get the 212 because my dorm has really thin walls, grumpy wallmates, and I play a lot of chugga chugga downpicked thrash and the 112 already does a pretty good job of bothering my floormates as it is. Hell, if I turn the volume up to 3, everyone on my floor can clearly hear what I'm playing. But if your brother practices the drums next door then I would assume your household is used to hearing music being practiced, so the added volume of the 212 really shouldn't be an issue. The best part is, the volume dial on these Peavey Valvekings is insanely well done and even the 212 can get really quiet, it's not like those amps that instantly double their volume when going from 0 to 1, you know? Also, the 212 has resonance and presence controls, which, combined with the bigger cab, can significantly change how sound is projected from the 212, and it's a feature I enjoyed toying with when I was in the shop today, it's a shame that the 112 only has a resonance on/off switch. Finally, don't forget that you can turn the class selector knob and go from class A/B to class A, where only half of the number of tubes will be used, so, essentially, you don't need to go as loud (as in class A/B) to reach a certain level of tube saturation (i.e. distortion). The distortion tone of class A as opposed to class A/B is somewhat thinner at bedroom practice volumes, but not really something I could detect in a blindfolded test. At practice volumes with a drummer, though (starting at about 3/10), the differences between class A and class A/B really start to shine through

Again, if you have the dough, but more importantly, and I cannot stress this enough, TOLERANT SURROUNDINGS FOR THE ADDED VOLUME AND SOUND PROJECTION OF THE 212, then get it. If your bro's a drummer and practices in his room right next to yours and your parents don't mind, then you definitely have these tolerant surroundings.

Me? I'm happy with my 112. Yeah, the 212 was only 50 euros more expensive, but like I said, I didn't need the added volume / sound projection, and I have yet to turn the volume on the 112 beyond 6, it's really loud and I'm happy with it as it is. Whether you get a 112 or 212, it's a good purchase, I don't know of any amp that can get a comparable tone at such a price range.

Do not forget, though, that the Valvekings will really bring out the personality of your guitar, so be sure you have something decent to plug into the 212, and if not, then at least opt for a pickup change What axe are you using?

Last edited by varador; 01-14-2008 at 03:15 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM

i got an rg1527 loaded with 707s =P

drum room aint next to mine but im gona put the amp out there =] so i think parents wil be pretty tolerant , house is detatched and the neighbors dont care nor do parents

Last edited by jem_fanatic; 01-14-2008 at 06:16 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
No, you don't have to replace the speakers and tubes immediately, but that option for improving tone is ready for you down the road whether you get a 112 or 212

Are you planning on carrying the amp around to get to your drummer jam? The 112 is already pretty heavy, like 21kg, it's quite tiring for me to move it from my dorm room to the practice room (500 meter walk), and I'm a rugby player and can nearly bench press my own weight. I tried lifting the 212 and it's even heavier, I'd guess around 30kg.

Pfft, if you're complaining now - wait til you start to bring out some real gear from your place to your drummers. I am talking a heavy amp head , cabinet, three guitar cases, a flight case with rack effects etc.

Just my Jsx amp head weights a good 25 KG's and it's 1/3 the size of your whole amp. Then the cabinet is 47Kg's.

It's not really that heavy. I pack and unpack like a patriot every day and then when i get home at night. Just sucks cause i gotta take the back out of my car to fit in the amp through the door properly. Anywho obviously there is going to be a difference in tone due to the size of the cabinet, the extra surface pushing out air, but technically speaking the sound shouldn't be any hard to dial into - the rest would just be the loudness of it all.

Nice little amp though. Funny thing is that i had paid the same price for my bandit back in the day. They didn't make them in China - it was all american when i got mine. As such, i paid a lot more. With the money i paid for it - i could've gotten this chinese tube combo.

Anywho enjoy it!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM

i already replaced the speakers after less than a month of owning the valveking. i dont really think its a great amp at all, as im still trying to get a smooth tone out of. its way to harsh, aggressive and fizzy.
I cant see how you cant manage to get a metal sound from this amp. its pretty much all it ****in does
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

if it sounds aggressive and fizzy then one of your tubes may have gone out... perhaps consider taking the amp to a tech, no harm done if it's still under warranty

Tags
amp head , distorted tone , les paul , les paul standard , peavey valveking , practice amp , preamp tube , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube distortion , tube saturation , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode